Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

Impact of PMDG's B777 on X-Plane-community?

PMDG and ORBX are making it impossible for the hard core simmers to stay with xplane

I don't think so. There's a life outside PMDG & ORBX, especially for the hard core simmer. X-Plane is great for VFR sceneries (OSM2XP, TruScenery, XPFR, SimHeaven...), and also for IFR add-ons (Felis, FlightFactor...) with ATC networks (IVAO, VATSIM, PilotEdge). Sectarianism will not help this hobby.

Yes, I still think X-Plane has it's place.

For one thing, unless external flight dynamics are used, rotary wing or lighter than air models are very poorly or not even possible to model in MSFS. Those who like to fly virtual helicopter either have to go DCS or have X-Plane. The later offers World coverage, and you can fly where you're familiar with the zone, etc...

Other examples of aircraft types that can't be modelled properly in FSX are vectored thrust, tilt rotors, etc... ( yes, I know you can cant the thrust axis in FSX, but it's a fixed cant, and it's flawed...

Larry and Geofa will help me on this one, because I do not have RL experience on prop aircraft, other than being able to fly them, right seat ( left in one occasion :-) ), with some friends, and even catching thermals on a SportCruiser :-), but the fact is that I also find X-Planes power / pitch relationship much more accurate than anything I can see in MSFS, including A2A and Real Air models. My only comparison comes from ELITE. Power changes on aircraft in ELITE are very effective and prompt regarding change in pitch. Applying the power for VS, trim for speed principle results perfectly in that sim, and in X-Plane too. Not quite like so even in the best add-ons I have for MSFS - they're sluggish responding to power changes!

Then, there is undoubtedly a true potential in X-Plane 1o in as far as scenery modeling and accuracy goes. The OSM-based sceneries are SUPERB, although heavy on my rig, and that's why I am not using them, but on areas of the World where the databases are filled with good info, X-Plane renders reality in a superb way!

Of course we can't close our eyes to THIS!!!, but in X-Plane we can still have excellent effects FOR FREE!!!

I actually bought FTX Global, but I am not using it. When I bought that excellent product, my first Global scenery enhancement for FSX ever, I took some time to send a PM to someone at ORBX asking for him to fwd my oppinion to J V, and asking him to reconsider supporting X-Plane 10. I gave the example of another major player - PMDG - who, by the words of their CEO, was extremelly enthusiastic about the future of this platform. Maybe their vector / mesh newly announced product can come to X-Plane as well :-)

I just posted THIS at ORBX's forum on the thread where John is announcing the new vector / mesh Global product. Let's see what we can get - notice I didn't forget about MAC and LINUX users, who are after all so important when it comes to development of the best scenery add-ons we have for X-Plane!!!

We can also move into other very basic areas like engine modelling. 

A prop engine in X-plane default vs FSX default is IMO much more realistic / plausible in X-Plane. There are no such core bugs like the leaning bug and the absence of proper modelling of the RPM vs MP relationship on asphirated engines. Of course in FSX you can use external "pligins". That's what A2A uses, and I Love. They have their engines and prop modelled outside of FSX, making their own calculations and bypassing FSX core. And... they are about to release a new version of accu sim that will overcome the limitations FSX imposes on proper modeling of prop aircraft.

Yes, MSFS just as X-Plane has the torque bug! You can tune it down, just like in X-plane, but it's there too and it's wrong! Then, in FSX there are no spiraling slipstream effects being modelled - everything has to be done using p-factor and two stability modifiers for bank and yaw at high angles of attack. If Austin finally quits playing the PMDG 777 and takes a few hours to tweak those effects that will overcome the coorect effects of the engine torque he calculates, then we may end up with a very satisfactory prop model in X-Plane too :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I actually bought FTX Global, but I am not using it. When I bought that excellent product, my first Global scenery enhancement for FSX ever, I took some time to send a PM to someone at ORBX asking for him to fwd my oppinion to J V, and asking him to reconsider supporting X-Plane 10. I gave the example of another major player - PMDG - who, by the words of their CEO, was extremelly enthusiastic about the future of this platform. Maybe their vector / mesh newly announced product can come to X-Plane as well :-)

I just posted THIS at ORBX's forum on the thread where John is announcing the new vector / mesh Global product. Let's see what we can get - notice I didn't forget about MAC and LINUX users, who are after all so important when it comes to development of the best scenery add-ons we have for X-Plane!!!

That would be wonderful indeed!

PMDG is creating payware for XP10 and Frooglesim announced on his youtube channel that ORBX is looking into Xplane10 but no decision yet.

Seriously? We need to spam the Orbx forums with pleas to do just that. It does kind of make sense as a growth path.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Im sure PMDG will have a look but when? They are running way behind schedule on everything

they currently need to

1. release 777 300 series

2. sp1 for 777L

3. Boeing 747 v2

4. DC 6

PMDG owners are a very vocal and demanding so the pressure will be on for the above products

PMDG will look at X however taking an educated guess I would say its minimum 2 years away before anything appears ready to fly

ZORAN

Larry and Geofa will help me on this one, because I do not have RL experience on prop aircraft, other than being able to fly them, right seat ( left in one occasion :-) ), with some friends, and even catching thermals on a SportCruiser :-), but the fact is that I also find X-Planes power / pitch relationship much more accurate than anything I can see in MSFS, including A2A and Real Air models. My only comparison comes from ELITE. Power changes on aircraft in ELITE are very effective and prompt regarding change in pitch. Applying the power for VS, trim for speed principle results perfectly in that sim, and in X-Plane too. Not quite like so even in the best add-ons I have for MSFS - they're sluggish responding to power changes!

I was very comfortable with the simulated RealAir Marchetti SF260, after a day of flying my real life RV6. Have flown the actual Marchetti too. Therefor, I'd say it was quite accurate. It was actually my favorite simulated plane, in any sim, as it just seemed the most realistic, because I was use to a higher performance, single engine, with a canopy. Therefor, I don't agree. I've often made postive comment about power to weight in MSFS, which of course involves pitch.

But, at the same time, I'm not presently flying any simulated airplanes. Have not since March. They'll just sit (including the just purchased MU2), until I get a new computer, as I just have not bothered connecting the controls to this one.

Thx Larry ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Seriously? We need to spam the Orbx forums with pleas to do just that. It does kind of make sense as a growth path.

But... didn't John Venema (unsure of spelling) recently state that X-Plane is a dead end? They'd better make something absolutely flawless if they're going to turn around with hat in hand and try to produce something for it.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

But... didn't John Venema (unsure of spelling) recently state that X-Plane is a dead end?

:lol: He said this:

X-Plane has no future. It’s not a good sim, nor does it have a large enough customer base to make it worth our while.

Source: http://www.fsxpage.com/interviews-2/john-venema-von-orbx/2/

But the product he's trying to sell today ("VECTOR") is a default X-Plane feature.

:lol: He said this:

Source: http://www.fsxpage.com/interviews-2/john-venema-von-orbx/2/

But the product he's trying to sell today ("VECTOR") is a default X-Plane feature.

That's what worries me. Even if it makes commercial sense Mr Venema isn't famous for being the most humble of people and might put pride before lost potential sales.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6bUyg3XhB8

Froogle VLOGS! What's the future of desktop sims

at the 5min mark of the video is where he mentions it

Don't know where Froogle got that from, as there has been no posts to that effect on his forums. The last statement posted was in Jan this year with the FSXpage interview.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The video is old. Belsimtek were still working on the uh-1h, and I believe by that time, some months ago, there were indeed rumours of a possible devlopment by Orbx, but, J V's words killed any expectations...

Main Simulation Rig:

The video is old. Belsimtek were still working on the uh-1h, and I believe by that time, some months ago, there were indeed rumours of a possible devlopment by Orbx, but, J V's words killed any expectations...

No that video is newer than the FSXPage interview (Apr 2013 vs Jan 2013), so the question still is where did Froogle hear this?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d