Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Honest opinion on flight planners.

Is anybody using the PFPX bundled with Air Display to show on IPad?

Does the Air Display affect running FSX in full screen mode? Any significant performance penalties or issues?

I gave Airdisplay a thorough trial and I didn't like it, especially when it's over wifi. It's laggy and the interfaces of these programs aren't really meant to be used in a tactile manner. Then you also have two options: To use the full retina resolution, which will cause the interface to be too small to work with, or to use a smaller resolution, which will make screen real estate too small to be able to see the content properly.

I think the best option is to get the cheapest laptop available to use all the side programs on it, all of them. You might also get one of those laptops that open completely and fold into a tablet shaped device (is ultrabooks what they call them?). Even if you want to use Air Display in your ipad, I would run the Air Display host on a separate computer, as it can really cause stability problems and reset your video driver. I like to keep my FSX computer running only FSX whenever possible.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

PFPX no doubt the most up to date and best flight planner out there IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Thanks Omar... That makes good sense. I'll still get the PFPX though and run it on my laptop...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

F.O.C. hasn't been a realistic option for a while now. It's complicated, unsupported, last time I tried the servers you'd need to connect to aren't available anymore.

PFPX is really the way to go for realistic, custom flightplanning.

The problem is the wallet needs to be open non stop so there maybe needs to be compromises somewhere. I just bought EFB at $70, my god what an awesome add on . So I will stick with Vroute premium that I have and then get the free FXAA performance calc for the 777 when it comes out

ZORAN

KPAE - EGLL (Delivery flight empty) Release Fuel 66.6k kg Air Distance 4183nm

EGLL - KBOS Release Fuel 103.1k kg Air Distance 5852nm

Hi Bill,

I think these are crossed over. EGLL-BOS is shorter than KPAE -EGLL and should use a lot less fuel.

Cheers

Neil

I was about to buy PFPX. but then I tried SimBrief. Tried few flights, all numbers are spot on. Now, I'm not sure anymore I need pfpx

Hi Bill,

I think these are crossed over. EGLL-BOS is shorter than KPAE -EGLL and should use a lot less fuel.

Cheers

Neil

Neil

You are perfectly correct.

It's an age thing LOL :lol:

I'm a long-time user of FSBuild, and just acquired PFPX as well. PFPX is excellent for producing quick automated routings, with the occasional quirk. I do still use FSBuild, though, by pasting the route from PFPX into it so that I can generate an FSX flightplan file that has all the SID/STAR waypoints in it for Radar Contact. PFPX strips that data, which is what the PMDG FMS export needs.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I had one goofy quirk from KLAX to NTAA (PFPX). It seemed to bring me in for a weird approach for a STAR (Brought be far to the west, swung around back to the east then back to the west for landing)

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Neil

You are perfectly correct.

It's an age thing LOL :lol:

Hi Bill,

Yea I know all about that! Happens to the best of us.

I have bought PFPX and have a lot to learn with it. Amazing programme, with many many options. Gonna take a while to get to grips with all its functions.

Cheers

Neil

I'm a long-time user of FSBuild, and just acquired PFPX as well. PFPX is excellent for producing quick automated routings, with the occasional quirk. I do still use FSBuild, though, by pasting the route from PFPX into it so that I can generate an FSX flightplan file that has all the SID/STAR waypoints in it for Radar Contact. PFPX strips that data, which is what the PMDG FMS export needs.

Regards

Bob

I actually prefer that PFPX strips out the SID & STARS as that makes it more realistic.  Changes often happen right up until departure and it is a simple job to insert the relevant departure.  Plus you can re use the route regularly easier as the weather may be different and use a different departure.  I very rarely select the arrival STAR and RW until I know what the up to date weather is prior to arrival.

the only thing i had to adjust was the taxi fuel burn rate, because of FSX crappy ground friction you use more fuel taxiing than normal
What is your fuel burning now? Thank you in advance.

Thanks, Mark. Worked a treat. Is there a way to follow the aircraft on that map?

Yes, you can go to the online tab (sorry if I got the name incorrect) to show online Vatsim or IVAO traffic plus your aircraft.  You need to click on your aircraft to have it highlight it and follow.

Mark   CYYZ      

Yes, you can go to the online tab (sorry if I got the name incorrect) to show online Vatsim or IVAO traffic plus your aircraft.  You need to click on your aircraft to have it highlight it and follow.

Once again, thanks, Mark. Will try it out next time out.