Sign in to follow this  
Bagman

Uninstalling add-ons for performance?

Hey guys, maybe someone knows if uninstalling all aircraft add-ons from FSX will improve performance?

I'll certainly be flying the new 777 only and probably for quite some time so if I uninstall a bunch of Captain Sim add-ons for example, and even the MJC8-Q400 or the MD-11 if this works, will I get better performance on the PMDG 777? I already have in the must-have tweaks and NVIDIA Insp. configs and I'm not even getting CTDs or OOMs just yet, I just wanna improve as my settings are now in my minimum standards.

Thought I better ask before uninstalling stuff.

I "fly" in a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp W7 x64 and the NGX performance was acceptable in most parts of the world with no add-on sceneries and balanced settings all around. The new 777 is one tad better on fps indeed.

Thank you, R.

Hey guys, maybe someone knows if uninstalling all aircraft add-ons from FSX will improve performance?

Nope - hard drive space doesn't really affect your performance.

Kyle Rodgers

No. As Kyle mentioned, it will not affect the performance.

What I did find helpful was the following:

-Turn Aircraft shadows Off

-Set visibility to 20nm (Weather)

-Aircraft lights illuminate on ground effect is "Off"

-0% Traffic (cars, boats, AI) Etc

That helped me get optimum performance on my laptop.Sure, it doesn't have the best looking scenery but it does a good enough job for my liking. I'd rather get the 20 - 30 fps than a slideshow. 

Cheers,

Sante Sottile

1. Save your current graphics settings to a profile #1.

2. Lower your settings for a really smooth T7 experience.

3. Save those settings to a profile #2.

Now you can change "on the fly" between your T7 settings and your usual ones.

I'll certainly be flying the new 777 only and probably for quite some time so if I uninstall a bunch of Captain Sim add-ons for example, and even the MJC8-Q400 or the MD-11 if this works, will I get better performance on the PMDG 777? I already have in the must-have tweaks and NVIDIA Insp. configs and I'm not even getting CTDs or OOMs just yet, I just wanna improve as my settings are now in my minimum standards.

Thought I better ask before uninstalling stuff.

I "fly" in a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp W7 x64 and the NGX performance was acceptable in most parts of the world with no add-on sceneries and balanced settings all around. The new 777 is one tad better on fps indeed.

Thank you, R.

You can to some extent. And without un-installing anything

Open "dll.xml" found in C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ folder

The file "dll.xml" has a list of all dlls FSX would automatically load (assuming they have been authorized to run) on start-up.

Here is an example

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>VistaMare Core</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

<Path>VistaMare\ViMaCoreX.dll</Path>  (this dll is used wth AES)

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FeelThere EJetX Helper</Name>

<Path>FeelThere\E170\EJetH.dll</Path> (there's no point loading this dll if flying the T7)

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path> (Not even this one is needed for T7)

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Interface</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>  (This was installed by the PMDG T7)

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

If you only care about the T7, change all the others to display  

<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad> (with this setting, every time you start FSX, you'll be prompted to accept or deny

loading of a particular dll)

If you don't want the hassle of having to confirm every time, make sure undesired items are set with

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

I read somewhere that disabling airports that you are not using helps. The thinking is that if you are flying over airports that you are not landing at, FSX still processes them but you don't get the benefit flying at over 30000ft. Same with HD water and land textures, they look nice when you take off and land but not to great at height. Don't know whether it works or not.

I read somewhere that disabling airports that you are not using helps. The thinking is that if you are flying over airports that you are not landing at, FSX still processes them but you don't get the benefit flying at over 30000ft. Same with HD water and land textures, they look nice when you take off and land but not to great at height. Don't know whether it works or not.

You're sort of correct, the addon airports you're flying over will consume some VAS space (leading to earlier OOMs) but FPS wise the impact shouldn't be too large, unless you're transiting at low level. Low FPS performance tend to happen when you depart or arrive at cities where you have lots of addon scenery (especially payware) in the general area, with lots of AI traffic in the area.

Examples:

1. London (Orbx England, Aerosoft Heathrow, UK2000 London City, Stansted and Luton etc)
  2. Miami (FSDT Fort Lauderdale, LatinVFR Miami, Drzewiecki Design Miami City)
  3. Vancouver (Orbx PNW, FSDT Vancouver, FSAddon Vancouver City)

In these cases it's best to disable all the other airports in the area which you're not going to, and if it's not enough then disable the area/city scenery as well, or you'll constantly encounter OOMs and low FPS.

And with regards to 'excess' addon aircraft, they only affect the speed which you can bring up the "Select Aircraft" screen, not FPS performance. This problem tend to be caused by a large amount of AI traffic aircraft and their respective repaints, not so much to do with flyable aircraft. Lastly with the DLL.XML thing I found individually disabling DLLs not in use doesn't improve much in terms of FPS performance, not enough for me to bother.

Dlls do take up vas. Maybe not a lot, but some. The orbx dlls I disabled freed 30mb of vas.

Nope - hard drive space doesn't really affect your performance.

Well, yes and no on this one.

IF your hard drive has less than (can't remember the actual amount of space but it's somewhere between 3GB and 6GB) then Windows will do some strange stuff, taking up processing time and lagging out any program you have running.  In this case, removing anything you can to get more hard drive space will help tremendously.

Granted, most of us run with 100's of GBs remaining.  Just covering all the bases for the guy.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If you uninstall background resident programs like REX, Orbx, ATC addons, Weather injectors, Accusim etc - yes it should lead to better performance. (Programs that run in the background). Alternatively - you can keep the programs to mimimum. For e.g. I run Orbx+ReX only (besides the aircraft). 

I "fly" in a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp W7 x64

Same! :lol:

I have also noticed that airport vehicles 'eat' performance (in my experience). So turning them to 0% and using GSX has helped me quite a bit. I like GSX better than AES, mainly because it works at ANY airport, instead of only select add-on airports. :smile:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with disabling airports, at least not now.

I don't fly online much so I like to have nice WoAI traffic around, maybe I should lower the traffic settings a bit, I just landed at EWR and there was so much traffic and lag I had nothing to do but to burst in laugh as it looked like a freaking joke  :lol:  :huh:

I'd rather get the 20 - 30 fps than a slideshow. 

As much as I don't like to fly with low AI traffic, let alone be the only aircraft in the world, I shall put down those sliders even more to see if it gets better in high density airports.

1. Save your current graphics settings to a profile #1.
2. Lower your settings for a really smooth T7 experience.
3. Save those settings to a profile #2.
Now you can change "on the fly" between your T7 settings and your usual ones.

Mmmm 

You can to some extent. And without un-installing anything...

Gerald, I guess you have this settings yourself, is this really worth doing?

If you uninstall background resident programs like REX, Orbx, ATC addons, Weather injectors, Accusim etc - yes it should lead to better performance.

I use the freeware FSrealWXlite for weather (I need to get Opus)  and that TextureMaxLoad Editor only.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with disabling airports, at least not now.

Note there are some people who advocate disabling all unused airports, for example Flightbeam.

Note there are some people who advocate disabling all unused airports, for example Flightbeam.

For that you should use "Scenery Config Editor"!!!, as it was say in the 777 Manual!!! It works very well. You can Build Groups, that you can enabled or disable all Airports/ Scenerys in USA or Europe with one klick!