Sign in to follow this  
Fox-Bat

Best GA Float plane - Recommendations?

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone has a good GA amphibian plane recommendation - something suited to exploring Orbx Pacific Fjords? Not too big, but at the same time something with a reasonable amount of power?  Amphibian Quality (both land and water landing ability) would be great too - rather than exclusively floats.

The above desciption fits the Lion Heart Kodiak well - but I have had that already for a couple of years now and want something new and good quality. Ths smaller cessnas with floats look too sluggish and slow (same for beaver). Any other good float planes on the smaller side out there for FSX that I haven't heard about? 

Any recommendations would be great!

Cheers

Well the A2A J3 Cub is probably too slow for your tastes but it does have the most realistic water physics...such as having to get the airplane up on the 'step' on takeoff, and ability to 'paddle' the plane to/from the dock.  The Cub is also strictly a Day VFR machine too. 

The Carenado 185F Amphib is actually fairly quick for a Cessna.  Combined with Bernt Stolle's FDE fixes it is actually quite a nice flyer. 

The Aerosoft Twin Otter might be up your alley.  Consider it like a Twin Kodiak, it is very systems deep so it can keep you busy at times.  Right now there is only a pure float version, but an Amphib is in the works. 

Cheers

TJ

The C185 is fine, but dated in my opinion.

Check out the Lionheart Quest Kodiak, enough power to take you anywhere. A bush pilot dream

The Aerosoft Twin Otter seems right also, but I would have preferred a non steam cockpit.

RealAir Scout

Twin Otter X (amphib soon)

FSX Beaver and Goose are two of the better default planes (floats only no amphib)

FSD Turbo Porter PC-6 (a little dated but fun)

I have the Carenado C185, it's a nice little amphib plane, looks excellent and as someone else said already, it's quite a fast plane for its size.

Then there is the AS Twotter Extended, which has been mentioned before - I have not yet been able to try it, but from everything I've heard so far, it sounds great.

And last but not least, the default Goose is awesome with the Aussiex HD Redux package! Besides, that plane isn't bad at all in the default version either.

The lake renegade looks like a cool aircraft - Wish there was one for FSX!

--

Thanks guys - The twin otter looks like a great package but I think maybe a bit bigger than what I was looking for. The Carenado C-185 seems to be a nice cheap compromise with decent speeds and non-sluggish handling at $20 (albeit a little dated) - will most likely get it if can't find another suitaible plane.

My fav is the BeaverX by Aerosoft.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My fav is the BeaverX by Aerosoft.

Another vote for the Aerosoft Beaver - great models, good power (it has a 450 hp engine) and an all-round fantastic bush aircraft essentially designed for areas like the PNW. In fact I would say that to enjoy the scenery of areas like PNW, you need something that doesn't cruise at too high a speed! Failing that, if you want a faster aircraft, I agree with those who say wait for the Twin Otter amphibian - the current Aerosoft Extended version is outstanding!

Bill

The lake renegade looks like a cool aircraft - Wish there was one for FSX!

--

Thanks guys - The twin otter looks like a great package but I think maybe a bit bigger than what I was looking for. The Carenado C-185 seems to be a nice cheap compromise with decent speeds and non-sluggish handling at $20 (albeit a little dated) - will most likely get it if can't find another suitaible plane.

the interior on the 185 isn't quite as good as carenados' latest offerings but the exterior model is very good and the optional Bernt Stolle FDE makes it a very good flight model.

I've been using the Aerosoft Beaver X for years. Still love it. Models come with amphibian and tundra wheels.

"Any other good float planes on the smaller side out there for FSX that I haven't heard about?"

Any specific engine type or other specs that you want? ..... prop, jet, turbo prop, Single / Multi engine etc ... Avionics / Nav system (steam/glass) etc?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW