Sign in to follow this  
CarlosF

Prepar3d Update...

^my thoughts [almost] exactly  :lol:

Based on their dx11 update, the graphics will most certainly be improved, and add support for things like cloud shadows in future updates.

My expectations are (still) high as well (not expecting a revolution though) but that relies more to the technic under the hood:

I do not expect to see a dramatically changed graphic (like in modern games) but to see an increase in autogen, water, shadows, lighting and some details. I have no idea if the ground tessellation will be noticeable in normal use or what DX11 will bring if I start at EDDF.

I trust, however, that 2.0 is only the beginning of a dramatic improvement of the 2.x versions. Just imagine what two Titan could do or even four GPUs on two cards in SLI/crossfire! Flying over Manhattan or Vancouver at full autogen settings over beautiful water or seeing thousands of trees being reflected on a lake with high fps will be very nice. And I think that the add-on-developers can make massive use of these new possibilities! FTXG is the first example for this: it contains much denser autogen than the default scenery.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Seeing how P3D version 2 appears to be offloading much more to the GPU, it isn't outside the bounds of reason to think that the insane overclocking requirements of the CPU, as we have it for FSX, may actually become a thing of the past.

Flight simming engines may finally enter the modern era where the GPU does the brunt of the rendering, this would make upgrading much easier as you'll just have to swap out your Graphics Card instead of a full mobo/cpu upgrade.

Seeing how P3D version 2 appears to be offloading much more to the GPU, it isn't outside the bounds of reason to think that the insane overclocking requirements of the CPU, as we have it for FSX, may actually become a thing of the past.

Flight simming engines may finally enter the modern era where the GPU does the brunt of the rendering, this would make upgrading much easier as you'll just have to swap out your Graphics Card instead of a full mobo/cpu upgrade.

I wonder if the new R290x and 780Ti cards will make a huge improvement to the FPS. thinking of ordering one in anticipation lol

I wonder if the new R290x and 780Ti cards will make a huge improvement to the FPS. thinking of ordering one in anticipation lol

That's another thing, will the Nvidia era finally come to an end with regard to the MSFS franchise? P3D v2 could really turn things on their heads.

I'm worried that Lockheed Martin might actually offload too much workload on the GPU. Most FSX users already have high-end overlocked CPUs, and it would be a shame to see them not being used because of being GPU-limited. With proper multithreading, they can do a lot more than what FSX does using just the CPU.

If they burden the GPU with too much workload, then the CPU will be sleeping (opposite to what FSX does) and there won't be room for other enhancements like SGSSAA. I'll be happy if they code Prepar3D 2.0 in a way that uses both the CPU and GPU efficiently and isn't dependent on just one component's performance.

Hmmmmm...howzat gonna affect shadowplay on Nvidia cards???

I believe Shadowplay only works in Full Screen at the moment. If that's true, then P3D 2.0 will not work with it, since they are only emulating fullscreen mode by taking the borders off the Windows. It is actually a Window application.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'm worried that Lockheed Martin might actually offload too much workload on the GPU. Most FSX users already have high-end overlocked CPUs,

Somehow I don't think Lockheed Martin will be concerned about those users.

I know what you're saying but you shouldn't have to overclock a cpu, especially not to FSX levels, to get a decent performance from the sim, it's just that everyone is now conditioned to thinking like this.

To be honest it'll make a nice change.

I know what you're saying but you shouldn't have to overclock a cpu, especially not to FSX levels, to get a decent performance from the sim, it's just that everyone is now conditioned to thinking like this.

To be honest it'll make a nice change.

Which is why I'm hoping that it is properly multithreaded; to negate the need for an extremely high core clock.

I am rather certain that a powerful CPU with high clock speed will do no harm ^_^.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I am rather certain that a powerful CPU with high clock speed will do no harm ^_^.

You are probably correct. I too am hoping that Prepar3d V2.0 will be a big step forward in simulation. I am afraid that many folks may be in for a let down if they expect that their older computers or cheaper video cards are going to all of a sudden going to become super computers. Yes, Hopefully better written and modern code should help many to enjoy the hobby more. It is important for all of us to realize that V2.0 very well may not only be an update. It very well may mean that this is where we stop "playing a game of flying" and start using a "Flight Simulator" in our homes. That change in thinking is going to be very important. I like most of you don't have a clue how this is all going to work out. I do know for sure Microsoft has built a huge money making machine that is designed to get all of "little Johnny's" lunch money for silly games. On the other hand, LM is a Defense Contractor who is active through out the world. I can assure you that although they have offered to sort of take us alone for the ride, which may turn out to be great, they will be playing by "grown up rules" and simply will not ever care if your 10 year old computer will keep up or not. You guys can make as many so called "petitions" as you want and it will mean nothing to them. Most of us deal in thousands of dollars and LM deals in Trillions.

If you decide to go the Prepare3d route, I think that it is important that you just kind of change your mind set a little and it will be a great thing. If you are going to the local hobby shop to buy a model car then you approach that a lot different than going down to the Ford dealer and buying a new full size truck.

So...FSX = flying game and Prepar3d = Simulator.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

You are probably correct. I too am hoping that Prepar3d V2.0 will be a big step forward in simulation. I am afraid that many folks may be in for a let down if they expect that their older computers or cheaper video cards are going to all of a sudden going to become super computers. Yes, Hopefully better written and modern code should help many to enjoy the hobby more. It is important for all of us to realize that V2.0 very well may not only be an update. It very well may mean that this is where we stop "playing a game of flying" and start using a "Flight Simulator" in our homes. That change in thinking is going to be very important. I like most of you don't have a clue how this is all going to work out. I do know for sure Microsoft has built a huge money making machine that is designed to get all of "little Johnny's" lunch money for silly games. On the other hand, LM is a Defense Contractor who is active through out the world. I can assure you that although they have offered to sort of take us alone for the ride, which may turn out to be great, they will be playing by "grown up rules" and simply will not ever care if your 10 year old computer will keep up or not. You guys can make as many so called "petitions" as you want and it will mean nothing to them. Most of us deal in thousands of dollars and LM deals in Trillions.

If you decide to go the Prepare3d route, I think that it is important that you just kind of change your mind set a little and it will be a great thing. If you are going to the local hobby shop to buy a model car then you approach that a lot different than going down to the Ford dealer and buying a new full size truck.

So...FSX = flying game and Prepar3d = Simulator.

Nobody is really saying that an entry level cpu/gpu combo is going to cut it. If LM offload a lot of the rendering to the GPU which is how you do it now, and have done for quite a while, it will free up the CPU meaning something like a Intel 4670 or 3770k non overclocked should be ample or even an AMD 8350 as if its properly multi threaded it will for once get rid of the single thread issues. Though overclocking obviously won't hurt it may no longer be essential to just get decent performance.

Also a lot of FSX, FS9 people would really disagree with the statement of FSX, or MSFS, being a game and P3D being a simulator, some people take their flying extremely seriously; take using VATSIM flying for instance.

Nobody is really saying that an entry level cpu/gpu combo is going to cut it. If LM offload a lot of the rendering to the GPU which is how you do it now, and have done for quite a while, it will free up the CPU meaning something like a Intel 4670 or 3770k non overclocked should be ample or even an AMD 8350 as if its properly multi threaded it will for once get rid of the single thread issues. Though overclocking obviously won't hurt it may no longer be essential to just get decent performance.

Also a lot of FSX, FS9 people would really disagree with the statement of FSX, or MSFS, being a game and P3D being a simulator, some people take their flying extremely seriously; take using VATSIM flying for instance.

Also a lot of FSX, FS9 people would really disagree with the statement of FSX, or MSFS, being a game and P3D being a simulator, some people take their flying extremely seriously; take using VATSIM flying for instance.[/

I agree with this statement and those who do will have no problem making the transition to P3D if they decide to go that route. FSX works good on modern equipment and I enjoy it very much. My thoughts are more about how we conduct ourselves and interact with LM than about the Simulator features. LM is going to develop this product to sale to big ticket buyers and the fact that we can make use of that Technology is pretty much just our good fortune. It is up to all of us who do take the hobby seriously to do everything possible to keep our communications open with LM. Questions like "Will this work with my I phone" and that sort of thing is just going to have to be a thing of the past. You probably saw how quick LM shut down the conversation after their announcements a few weeks ago. It is not that these questions are wrong or bad. It is just that we need to guide and help out those guys who don't understand that LM is just not going to operate on the same level as say...a company that makes "shoot um up" type games.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/