Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

New Petition Against Microsoft

I don't know, why you are all so pessimistic about that.

In this case: nothing can be lost but a bit of something could be achieved. So, why not?

LM is interested in having a large clientele and worthy developers refuse from subscribing changed terms of use. Something will happen "in either direction".

In other words: "when two persons quarrel, it is usually another person who profits from it." All involved companies are (or should be) aware of that possible outcome...

Greetings,

Claus

In this case: nothing can be lost

Yes it can. A mere handful of signatures on a petition will confirm the companies in their view that there's no serious demand.

Maybe if we had thousands and thousands of different 'Bring Back FS11' petitions then they would listen :LMAO:

Matthew Kane

No one seems to have mentioned that defense spending is not only NOT growing, but is shrinking in relative terms.

So how does a defense contractor sustain growth and the value of its stock?

ANSWER.- Find new products, services and customers.

For Lockheed/Martin, 'Flight Simulation' not only helps to serve their existing customers but may well provide new market opportunities in civilian sectors.

(But don't call it "entertainment" - for the same logic that pickup trucks have achieved great market success- by designating them as "Professional Grade" while welcoming any and all customers.)

You shake the money tree wherever you find it !!

And that is likely a good thing for us amateurs- to have Flight Simulator tag along with the Pros.

Instead of just being another "unwanted child" of parents who had developed other interests.

january 

No one seems to have mentioned that defense spending is not only NOT growing, but is shrinking in relative terms.

But Lockheed Martin's net earnings from continuing operations in the 3rd Quarter of 2013 rose by $115M to  $842M from $727M a year earlier.

But Lockheed Martin's net earnings from continuing operations in the 3rd Quarter of 2013 rose by $115M to  $842M from $727M a year earlier.

That suggests that LM is well managed- and so enables them to reinvest earnings in P3D !

Simmers are fortunate to have an investor willing and able to make further refinements in what, previously, was thought of as merely a game - and hence not worthy of new capital.

january.

You have to have a very skewed understanding of business and economics to believe that this sort of thing will impact business decisions. If the economics make sense, Microsoft will sell or license the code to Lockheed Martin. If the economics don't make sense, It won't--and a petition won't change the analysis. Period.

And, anyone in business will tell you that you get executive management's attention by presenting a well-written and persuasive proposal. If something like this is going to have any chance of being taken seriously, it's going to require someone with better writing skills. No offense to the drafter, but the reader forms an impression of your proposal well before he/she finishes reading it. Spelling and grammar mistakes will undermine the effectiveness of an otherwise strong argument.

I never look at business numbers, things sometimes look good when really they are not. Back in 2004 and 2005 when I was working as a Manufacturing Engineer producing domestic engines for the North American market....engines have a long lead time and the number of new engines we were tearing down  to recycle because we made too many was astronomical in that time. Mean while big three was still posting record profits. We knew the bubble was about to burst, and it did.

Posting reported numbers is meaningless.

Matthew Kane

Posting reported numbers is meaningless.

As is anecdotal evidence.

If they are meaningless then tell us what the correct figures are. What is the real change in Lockheed Martins' net earnings?

As is anecdotal evidence.

If they are meaningless then tell us what the correct figures are. What is the real change in Lockheed Martins' net earnings?

I wouldn't know because I don't work there (obviously). I indicated that above with the engines examples from past experience. If I was an employee of LM I would have a better idea. People on the inside know up to a year before the general population will learn of things. reason why posting public information is really about a year old as we are the last to know.

Matthew Kane

I wouldn't know because I don't work there (obviously). I indicated that above with the engines examples from past experience. If I was an employee of LM I would have a better idea. People on the inside know up to a year before the general population will learn of things. reason why posting public information is really about a year old as we are the last to know.

Just so. You don't like the figures because they conflict with your preconceived ideas, despite having no idea yourself what they should be.

You guys still think that somebody at LM got out of bed one morning and said...."Poor (entertainment) simmers, MS cancelled Flight (read "Gave the shaft to 3PD"), hey! lets fix FS for ALL simmers"....

regard-2.gif

My figures were in response to a post suggesting that Lockheed Martin needed Flight simulation to boost its falling revenues. it doesn't because there's no evidence they are falling. 

Lockheed Martin's main areas of business are defence, space, intelligence, homeland security, and information technology, including cyber security and will concentrate its efforts in those area to maintain revenue. It says itself that it will "...develop and extend our portfolio in a disciplined manner with a focus on adjacent markets close to our core capabilities". its core capabilities don't include selling games into a small retail market.