Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Reputation system

Is there any chance the previous iteration of the reputation system with the "thumbs up" votes only be reinstated?  I like having that ability to thank a person for a helpful or thoughtful post, and this was a great way to acknowledge posts the user feels are particularly noteworthy.

Same feelings.

Lets not forget that the old system (up only) worked for a long time and I did indeed enjoy seeing even infrequent posters receiving some community driven applause for their contributions. Also, the ones wanting to point out a negative characteristic where encouraged to post their viewpoint instead of being able to -1 and simply run away.

That's with keeping in mind that critical voices are of value, but not if they (and their point) remain open and never get explained.

Anyone seen my bridge?

You're loving this aren't you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You're loving this aren't you?

What? All the crying?

Take for example a bully getting voted UP when he/she bashes a newbie for asking an innocent question, or worst when such bully trashes said newbie because he/she didn´t read a manual, or use the correct syntax in a search button, or does not get a grip on how to perform something in his game/sim.

How about when wannabe bullies team up with their leader and bash a forum member until the later either gives up, leaves a forum for good or even does something worst?

Or cases I have seen elsewhere where a member is bullied because of his/her avatar or country or age or writing skills (in a foreign language).

Do you mean like the PMDG forums?

For some reason, that forum is the one that sprang to mind as I read your very well thought out and written post.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Haven't witnessed yet a satisfying voting system that includes downvotes. The Aerosoft forums currently restrict downvotes to one vote per user per day (like in "my personal award for the worst post of the day"), but even a single downvote a day leads to the occasional abuse over there.

The ORBX forums allow upvotes only ("Like this item") ... but the 'likes' are hardly used over there, not even in their screenshot section.

The current no-votes-system at AVSIM may work better than the former upvotes-only, IMO: If I'm feeling I really have to "vote", the current system forces me to reply, thereby explaining why I'm commenting on the previous post, in plain language. That''s the best voting system I can think of.

On a lighter note:

One of the highest no. of upvotes for a single post I ever cashed in on occurred, when I recommended to buy the Captain Sim B777 instead of the PMDG rendition because of the implemented weather radar. Those votes I got pretty much tell you all you have to know about voting systems ...   :lol:

A reputation system that interferes with that rudeness will not be well received.

Do you seriously believe that the thought of getting a few downvotes have ever deterred anyone from speaking their mind?

There are a few here who are more outspoken than most and they generally don't care about popularity points. They are on the other hand not actively out to annoy anyone either but because some people are more easily offended than others there will always be a certain amount of crying over what they have to say.

Yes, there is a very small but very vocal minority who are actively trying to offend people but to be honest I have very, very, very rarely seen any of them here. There are however a number of people who always gets highly offended every time someone expresses a contrary opinion. Those people are for some reason also often the quickest to resort to namecalling, sarcasm and twisting of words.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Personally, I like the way the DayZ forum system worked, it was fun and there wasn't any anonymity with upvotes/downvotes.

Below the post, the same way the Avsim forums were, was an upvote/downvote feature.

Below that, was a counter (the same way the Avsim forums were, again), only this time, it says:

"Aamir and 3 others (clickable, to see the list) gave their beans!" 

This was basically an upvote, and it was a fun way of doing it! (Beans are a huge thing in the DayZ game, don't ask..)

So if we were to translate it to Avsim, it would come out looking something like this:

"Aamir and 3 others gave you clearance to land!"

Or, you know, whatever someone wittier than myself can come up with.

So then downvotes would be more like:

"Aamir and 3 others asked you to divert!"
So, not as *mean* as a downvote, but it kinda gets the point across, and there won't be any random faceless downvoting!

Aamir Thacker

Do you seriously believe that the thought of getting a few downvotes have ever deterred anyone from speaking their mind?

Of course, but then I've seen it in action and lived it over the course of more than a year. I know the system and understand it well.

Those who would ignore the down votes end up subject to other sanctions by the forum admins. For example, JSkorna was blocked from a thread. Normally, people who would abuse the system soon find out that the visible system isn't the only system they have to worry about.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

there wasn't any anonymity with upvotes/downvotes.

I don't know that system, but knowing who voted you up/down would probably force people to use the vote option (especially the downvote) with a bit more consideration - at elat that's what I think. If I know that the other one will see that I have voted him down, I will really only do so when I really think it's justified, and I will also make a little post epxlaining why I did so, in order not to get angry "Why do you hate me so much?" PMs.

Anonymity certainly encourages such abusive behavior as we have seen it in a way...

I'm pleased the whole lot has gone.

I had almost 700 reputation points from just 8 months on AVSIM, which I like to think were gained from the posts I make that offer help and advice (rather than the ones that polarize opinions! :lol:), but ultimately, it is an ego trip, and detracts from the real reason we're here on AVSIM;  discussion, debate, and sharing of information on this obsessive hobby of ours.

I am trying in my own personal life to live a less material existance, inspired by Buddhism and Yoga practice, and casting away my lovely 'trophy' of rep points felt good.... :cool:

As said above, we should all probably just take more time to offer personal 'ups' to good posts, like "thanks for that", or "great point" etc.

A nice word is always better than just a number IMHO.

A nice word is always better than just a number IMHO.

Just shush and enjoy your 2000th post!

See what I did there? :P

Aamir Thacker

I'm gutted the system has gone. I used to be somebody, now I'm just like the rest of you, ordinary. IT'S NOT FAIR! :cray:

Seriously (in case anyone thinks I'm er..serious) I'm with Dave, it's good it has gone. Once this thread has died the death we'll look back and wonder what all the angst was about.

Post on! :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Of course, but then I've seen it in action and lived it over the course of more than a year. I know the system and understand it well.

Those who would ignore the down votes end up subject to other sanctions by the forum admins. For example, JSkorna was blocked from a thread. Normally, people who would abuse the system soon find out that the visible system isn't the only system they have to worry about.

Hook

I don't know why Skorna was banned from posting in that particular thread but personally I didn't see anything that I would describe as abusive. I would rather say it was all those people who kept downvoting every post he made because his opinion about the popularity system and the way he expressed it didn't go down well with them who were abusing a system.

One of Skorna's posts apparently got deleted and I can only hope it was because of what he wrote there that he got locked out out the thread. I truly hope that the admins aren't taking popular opinion into account but relying solely on their own good judgement when deciding who gets the boot.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I don't know why Skorna was banned from posting in that particular thread but personally I didn't see anything that I would describe as abusive. I would rather say it was all those people who kept downvoting every post he made because his opinion about the popularity system and the way he expressed it didn't go down well with them who were abusing a system.

One of Skorna's posts apparently got deleted and I can only hope it was because of what he wrote there that he got locked out out the thread. I truly hope that the admins aren't taking popular opinion into account but relying solely on their own good judgement when deciding who gets the boot.

20k posts later I dont think they are taking popular opinion