Sign in to follow this  
cavcpt

FS Genesis and That Whole Vector Thing

Evening, 

So while I wait patiently for updated installers and patches for the Airbus Extended, RealAir products, the A2A line-up, and one day, PMDG, I started looking at terrain. 

I have Global installed for P3D 2 and I own FSGenesis. Will FSGenesis work in P3D? Is there a recommended installation procedure? I miss the detail in elevation. 

If I am fortunate enough to have Global for Landclass, Genesis for Mesh, then all I need is something for Vector. The Iceland demo looks very promising for FTX GLOBAL VECTOR due out in mid-December. Is the general consensus of the forum to hold out until then or is there another reputable Vector product for P3D? 

And while I'm eating my salad and thinking of all things P3D-transition, what about Carenado aircraft and Air Hauler? Any luck or guidance on those two products in P3D? 

I think that's a total of four questions. My apologies. The Army is sending me to Haiti for a week so I'm hoping to have answers by next weekend so I can invest sometime enjoying this great new simulation. 

Thanks Guys, 

Stephen 

I would assume FS Genesis would work in P3D and you can probably just drag and drop from your FSX folders (if you still have them).  I was actaully just about to ask the question as to whether FSGenesis mesh was beter than FS Global as they have installers specific to P3D.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Wait for Orbx Vector 100% in my opinion.

And yes, FSGenesis will work. Just point the installer are the P3D folder.

I believe I bought FSGenesis too. I remember one problem with it is that after installation many small airports are still in FSX-defined elevations which make them small islands far above the ground. Don't know whether they already have patches to fix that.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I had fs genesis installed in fsx in stand alone folders ie. activated thru the scenery library.

So adding it to P3D was just a matter of 30 seconds to add it in exactly the same way (go to scenery library, browse to the correct folder, add).

From memory, fs genesis gives you the option to install manually into fsx in your own folder structure, which is what I did (i think - it's been 3 years since i installex it(.

Flying around telluride, there's better definition if the mountaibs (less rounded), but it's not chalk and cheese.

I'm only a few hours into my p3d flying (couldn't download it til last night, but then put in a late one!). Haven't seen any elevation 'islands' yet. Will depend if p3d used thr same, incorrect, data as fsx - if it has, fs genesis will have been already corrected to avoid the plateau effect.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As an aside, if you are willing to put the FSG mesh in it's own folder, and add it as a separate entry to the library, you only need one copy installed to save some disk space.

Can't do that with everything, but there are a few things that can certainly be aliased/junction linked to help ease managing two sims.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Since the banners on the P3D website proudly feature Carenado aircraft, I think it's safe to assume that at least some of them work.

Wait for Orbx Vector 100% in my opinion.

And yes, FSGenesis will work. Just point the installer are the P3D folder.

Vector is not mesh, it is vector.....rivers, coastlines, etc., rather than mesh which is the underlying topography of the land.  So you will need a mesh product to give you the elevations/topography, a vector product to accurately show rivers, coastlines, roads, lights, and lastly a landclass and terrain product that paints the tiles on top of the all of this to match what is really there (houses, factories, farmland, etc.).

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I know what Vector data is.

He asked if he should wait on Orbx vector to come out or buy some other product.

He asked if he should wait on Orbx vector to come out or buy some other product.

Is there even another product for vector data?  I think as far as anything other than various freeware regional coverage on an area by area basis, there's nothing on a large scale that can be used in P3D.  Waiting for FTXG Vector is pretty much the only option.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ultimate Terrain is a vector product that covers most of the world.

Ultimate Terrain is not allowed to be used in P3D as per Scenery Solutions so no go there.

Its too bad but I think the Orbx product with full v2 support will be a better option anyway.

Ultimate Terrain is outdated, has poor coverage (missing most of Eastern Europe for instance) and does not support P3D. We're stuck with Pilot's or ORBX Vector offerings.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!