Sign in to follow this  

Back to hell

Interesting thread. 

I've flown more today, still gobsmacked. Just bought FTX Global, it's pretty efficient. In the basic P3Dv2 planes like the Cub and Pitts, I'm able to get mid 20's with stupidly high settings for autogen & trees, and even have the scenery complexity maxed. If I can never fly a more complex plane, I'm happy, sort of! The beauty of the world at such settings (I could even use terrain and tree shadows in metro france) should keep me busy for years. 

I've found that I just need to tweak the autogen settings downwards in certain areas. And I admit that tree shadows are really only worth keeping on for screenshots, you barely notice them when flying. Oh, and I've abandoned all Nvidia Inspector settings for now, I'm sure that's eased things a little. Hopefully LM and Nvidia can sort things out.

Here's a shot I just took (actually, 6), it shows the vista I saw at 2nd highest autogen setting, getting 22fps with my 670 card. I'll be happy seeing such views while waiting for more improvements. Can't wait to pick up my 780 very soon. 

WGMi4.jpg

Here's a shot I just took (actually, 6), it shows the vista I saw at 2nd highest autogen setting, getting 22fps with my 670 card. I'll be happy seeing such views while waiting for more improvements. Can't wait to pick up my 780 very soon.  

Wow, those lights are Ginormous! Are they actually illuminating the scene, or is it the usual baked-in light?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

No it's not like xplane, it's baked in but that makes the fps efficient

Wow, those lights are Ginormous! Are they actually illuminating the scene, or is it the usual baked-in light?

That's why it's called GlowBall :) apparently they will be releasing a fix to allow you to make them smaller.

If you run LOD 6.5 and Opus in heavy clouds you are very likely to OOM. Have you tried the lates Opus beta which has been tweaked for P3DV2?

I never had OOM in FSX with LOD 6.5 and Opus in heavy clouds… I waited with installing OpusFSX until there was a version that would take the new volumetric fog into account so I installed the very latest beta.

Jeroen, why not go bare minimum and slowly add graphics settings, but each and every time load up and monitor the VAS? Process of elimination troubleshoot. Youll need to start with a fresh cfg to be fair. Im using pretty much the same settings as you, and I havnt seen the VAS go over 3gb yet. 

Yes, I will monitor VAS from now on and see what makes it go over the top. However, as I said, even with low settings I did get that OOM. And I didn't really expect having to go though all this with P3D because if its fixed and improved memory management………….

Fascinating thread. I can't help but wonder if OOMs are an insurmountable issue with a rich soup of FSX-developed add ons. We ask an awful lot of this code and I don't expect that LM's prime goal has been total compatibility with third party software developed for entertainment purposes. I still think FSX and Steve's DX10 is a killer combo overall. Nice screenies of V2, but stories like on this thread will keep me on the fence for quite a while I expect.

I don't expect that LM's prime goal has been total compatibility with software developed for entertainment purposes

I think you thought wrong. They've said repeatedly that keeping everything compatible with current add ons was very important. And btw I don't think that using FTX Global, and Norway freeware is a rich soup of FSX add ons: I already get those OOMs with that combination of add ons alone (and with heavy weather, but that's created with the in game weather engine).

The odd thing is, as always, that not everyone seems to suffer from OOMs. And as I said, I never had that problem with FSX. I can't imagine LM gave us all those options and extra's without enabling us to actually use those options. 

Anyway, this evening I will install that utility to check VAS and whatever and turn certain options on and off to see what makes things go through the roof. Something has to be wrong somewhere...

The odd thing is, as always, that not everyone seems to suffer from OOMs. 

Yea thats the point. So something is amiss. Perhaps a bad install or something. I just checked VAS on mine with a somewhat vanilla setup. Beach Baron, default Langley airport, cleared weather (didnt even run Opus), but FTXG is installed, and my settings overall are medium high for the most part. The VAS sits at just below or at 2GB. You should be within a few hundred MB of that at the most on either side. That can be a sort of measuring stick. By the sounds of it, your above 3gb before you even get going. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Ok, an update from me. I'm finding i can run FTX Global to ridiculously high quality levels and still get high 20s-low 30s with my 670 card. 

BUT.....As soon as I activate a complex scenery like San Francisco X by Aerosoft, the thing totally tanks by half or more, leaving me with 13-15.

Now don't get me wrong, SFO is a mammoth scenery, but I NEVER had such problems in FSX or P3 V1. In fact I videoed it once at over 26fps. There is definitely something going on with the rendering engine.

Edit - and I DID bring all my settings right down to see if I could get it smoother, no luck. 

For what it is worth I have been playing around with the OpusFSX beta with volumetric fog and I have not experienced any OOM errors yet (knock on wood). I run with all sliders mostly to the right or one stop down on a GeForce 780.

The weather scenes generated by OpusFSX in bad weather are significantly heavier than the stock or ORBX whether themes (greater FPS loss when looking at the clouds), but there are still no memory problems. To my mind this string since the theory that your system RAM is offloading whatever does not fit on your graphics card, and thus exhausting your virtual memory.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

And another update, I deactivated the pesky Aerosoft scenery and then reinstalled Flightbeam's KSFO, a good test of performance. It runs fine! Over 22fps with my weedy card. So I guess the Aerosoft scenery is really badly optimised.

Oh well, now I'm gonna download the Opus beta for more fiddling. Love it :-)

To my mind this string since the theory that your system RAM is offloading whatever does not fit on your graphics card, and thus exhausting your virtual memory.

I hope that's it but I also read posts from people with a GTX780 that still get OOMs… We already has this happening with FSX, where some would get OOMs and CTDs while other never had problems. I really hoped P3D would have solved all that but in my case things only got worse...

for more fiddling. Love it

I liked it a while when tweaking FSX but I'm fed up already with having to test all this with P3D. It's not what I've bought P3D for. You would expect a Professional license costing 200 bucks would work a bit better than this...

I see a lot of confusion regarding this memory thing and I'd like to help a bit. Others have said this as well but the point needs to come across:

Since FSX and Prepar3D are 32 bit applications the maximum amount of memory they can use (RAM and VRAM together) is 4 GB.

If there isn't enough VRAM on the card the simulator should use RAM and if there isn't enough RAM then it should use the pagefile, aka the disk drive. This obviously slows down performance but shouldn't cause an OOM error. I say shouldn't because the simulator might due to the way it's programed (it might not allow for memory to be transfered like that).

I do know that in 2004 I was playing Doom 3 at settings that required a 512 MB video card and I only had 128. Still I didn't get any OOM because when the game ran out of VRAM it used the RAM.

It might be acceptable for P3D to run poorly at high settings but it isn't acceptable to crash.

Otherwise guys, this here is as good as it gets. After those 4 GB are reached it won't make any difference how well you could run P3D. I mean you could be running a solid 60 fps and then you'll need an additional 1 MB of memory and it's going to be game over.

So new hardware is not going to make P3D use less memory and once that's filled up it won't make a difference how well the simulator was running when it crashed.

Update your stuff because you aren't getting the FPS you'd like but don't because you think a 2 or a 3 GB card isn't cutting it in terms of memory.

I don't know about P3D but with FSX at 1080p 8xAA, 4096 REX clouds, FSGlobal mesh, UTX+FTX Global + custom planes I see ram at around 2.5 GB and VRAM usage below 1 GB. I don't remember getting any OOM, ever.

That's almost 3.5 GB of memory right there, it's already cutting it pretty close. And I remember reading that P3D 2.0 uses around 800 new MB for the new dynamic shadows.

It might be nice if the people who get OOM's can verify their RAM and VRAM usage just before the crashes. I use MSI Afterburner with Riva Tuner Server and it logs these numbers so if anything goes wrong I can check.

From the perspective of an interested bystander, i kind of thought that one of the main advantages of this was supposed to be less tweaking.........

Instead, it already sounds kind of like tweak-fest 2013, which is kind of disappointing. (FSX chuckles from tha' grave)

It will be interesting now to see how LM responds to this.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Since FSX and Prepar3D are 32 bit applications the maximum amount of memory they can use (RAM and VRAM together) is 4 GB.

I'm pretty sure this is only true if you're running a 32-bit OS.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE