Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinlest2

A340/B777? ATC: "Taxi to GA Parking"!

When landing in a commercial jet - say B737 or or A330... at a medium or large airport, it seems to me that ATC nearly always chooses to send me to a small GA parking spot to sit with all the little Cessnas somewhere round the back of the airport, rather than to an appropriate gate - even (I do check for this) when plenty of the latter are free.

I use PFE for ATC, but I don't think that has anything to do with this issue, does it? This happened long before I changed from default FS9 ATC. I have done all I can think of: checked (in AFCAD2) that gates are free of the appropriate size (metres) and are not set with the wrong parking codes; that I have the parking information correct in the aircraft.cfg file.. If I have to fix this on an airport-by-airport/gate-by-gate basic, it could take the rest of my life!

If anyone has any advice, it'd be welcome. For now I just ignore ATC and head off to the main terminals, 'zapping' any a/c coming towards me on the taxiway, or sitting in 'my' parking space when I get there, with the useful FSUIPC function. But that's hardly 'as real as it gets'!

Thanks,

Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Check your aircraft.cfg for the paint you're using and make sure it has an entry atc_parking_code I believe and have your airline's 3-letter code there.  So, for example:

atc_parking_type = Gate

atc_parking_code = NAX,NAX

The first line says to use parking types of Gate.

The second line will tell ATC and GSX that you are Norwegian Air Shuttle(change for your airline) for both gate(the first NAX) and cargo(the second NAX).  From now on, when you land at an airport with proper gate assignments/afcad, you will get directed to your airline's gate.

Unfortunately people that do the paints on the web can't take the additional time to put in these parking code entries.  So, until you do manually, you will get weird/wrong assignments like you're seeing.

**  Re-Painters - I know it's not hard for us to make these entries.  But, it would really be nice if it could be done in the original paint once and not every single time by every single person that downloads your paint.  But, this is an argument that was had in a whole different topic here on avsim already.

**** Edit  Sorry.  Should have read the whole entire post before replying so I hope I didn't tell you what you already know.  Afraid I might have so my apologies.

No worries! Yes, I do check for that, as I said. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

Note this needs to be plural

atc_parking_type = Gate

Should be

atc_parking_types = Gate

atc_parking_codes = NAX,NAX

Note this needs to be plural

atc_parking_type = Gate

Should be

atc_parking_types = Gate

atc_parking_codes = NAX,NAX

Thanks.  Sorry about that.  I wasn't in front of my FS PC so I couldn't check it to be sure.  :)

Deciding ahead of time which gate you want helps... change the parking radius to something impossibly small, and tell AES to take you there! 

If it's an AES airport! :P

I currently have 189 AES airports in my FS9 setup (more in FSX, but I don't fly FSX all that often) - just counted them - but usually I am going to a non-AES destination...

Well... you could just cut the taxi link to your favourite gate then, saves you zapping the unfortunate occupant of "your" slot!

Deciding ahead of time which gate you want helps... change the parking radius to something impossibly small, and tell AES to take you there! 

If your going to go to all that trouble, the best way instead of changing parking radius, is to assign a ficticious parking code to the gate, and match that to the aircraft you are flying. Then ATC will assign that gate only to you, and will always be available.

This discussion has been had probably many times and alas I can't remember how the parking overflow logic works.

But trust me, there will be a plane in your slot, no matter the parking code, if the airport is busy. 

EDIT:

Let's take you elsewhere....

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?261100-Why-do-other-AI-airlines-keep-stealing-the-parking-spot-I-ve-made-for-a-specific-AI&p=1749910#post1749910

It would be great if that worked, but I have never found that the parking entries in the aircraft.cfg have much effect once you arrive at the airport.

Probably best to cut a parking link in the AFCAD file, yes. But to do that for every airport I fly to is a bit of an undertaking, even doing it as and when....Also I fly a lot of different a/c - one flight a 747, next a CRJ200: one gate for all wouldn't really work.

I tend to look the other way or momentarily close my eyes when I 'zap' AI planes! Probably continue to do that unless any more elegant solutions surface.

M.

They work perfect for me! Watch my videos (Prior to when I started using PFE) I'm assigned an appropriate gate every time. In most cases the problem comes down to the first response I posted. There was a tutorial for ATC parking floating around from a rather authoritative source, but it had the typo of not using purals for ATC_Parking_Codes, and ATC_Parking_Types. So there were always posts on how ATC doesn't park user aircraft the same as AI. Then you had the workarounds, like changing radius of the parking spot, all unnecessary. Once the syntax was corrected the posts I've seen were positive. Try it it works.

Codes will not stop AI from parking in your spot.

Cutting the link will not stop AI from spawning in your spot.

The only thing, I repeat, the only thing that will stop AI from parking in your spot is the radius of the spot. Make it small, like 1 meter, and no AI will ever park there.

regards,

Joe

Too each too own! You do it your way and I'll do it my way, it hasn't failed me yet!!

I use PFE for ATC, but I don't think that has anything to do with this issue, does it?

PFE has everything to do with it! You have two choices with PFE - be directed to the nearest parking spot after leaving the runway, or be directed to a pre-chosen gate, which could well be occupied. PFE is just not as clever as the default ATC system.

This is most definitely not a FS2004 issue. Revert to standard FS2004 ATC and if your aircraft is defined to go to a "GATE", ATC will send you to a vacant one if they are not all full.

John

Sadly not true John, at least in my experience. This problem didn't by any means start with my installing PFE - I was quite often sent to odd parking places with the default FS9 ATC, even when more appropriate spaces were free - though admittedly it seems more consistent now I use PFE. It's almost as if a GA spot is chosen in preference to a commercial gate!

Not quite sure what you mean John by there being 'two choices with PFE - be directed to the nearest parking spot after leaving the runway, or be directed to a pre-chosen gate'. You saying PFE simply choses the nearest free spot?? There's no option to be directed to a chosen gate, is there? I haven't tried the 'warp mode' (Ctr;l+Shift+W) to select a parking place. Wouldn't make much sense even if possible (I must try next time I fly) - it could still be full, as you say. Might as well just taxi there and see.

As you say, if you chose a particular gate (in AES) or just ignore ATC and park where you like, spaces may well be full. I tend to go somewhere where there are plenty of small/medium/large gates and park in any I find free. If they are full, that's where one has to look the other way and 'zap' the a/c in the way.

Of course, making a parking spot so small that no AI a/c can be placed there would work fine - it's just whether I can be bothered to do that for hundreds of airports (I'd need gates for small, medium and large a/c too). Maybe give it a go with the airports I use most regularly..

I'll give your suggestion a go too, Tom - if you say it works for you, can't do any harm to try!

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Martin

Sadly not true John, at least in my experience. This problem didn't by any means start with my installing PFE - I was quite often sent to odd parking places with the default FS9 ATC, even when more appropriate spaces were free - though admittedly it seems more consistent now I use PFE. It's almost as if a GA spot is chosen in preference to a commercial gate!

Not quite sure what you mean John by there being 'two choices with PFE - be directed to the nearest parking spot after leaving the runway, or be directed to a pre-chosen gate'. You saying PFE simply choses the nearest free spot?? There's no option to be directed to a chosen gate, is there? I haven't tried the 'warp mode' (Ctr;l+Shift+W) to select a parking place. Wouldn't make much sense even if possible (I must try next time I fly) - it could still be full, as you say. Might as well just taxi there and see.

Well, what I said was true - if you take in all I wrote, including the reference to aircraft being assigned as "GATE". If there is an available gate, FS2004's ATC system will direct you to it. It is as simple as that.

If you are not pre-defining your arrival gate prior to starting your flight, PFE will take you to the nearest parking space (GA, gate or whatever) whatever size. PFE is not integrated enough with FS2004 to do better than that. If you pre-define it, you will be taken to that gate whether occupied or not. PFE is not integrated enough with FS2004 to do better than that either.

I recommend you study the documentation or use the Oncourse Software forum at http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/index.php%C2'> to understand how it works. It has many good features, but ground handling is definitely not one of them.

John

I'll give your suggestion a go too, Tom - if you say it works for you, can't do any harm to try!

I some how missed the part that you were using PFE (As I do now) John is right, that is the problem. PFE does not read AFCAD parking codes, so it usually sends you to GA parking, if that is closer to a gate. That is why it has it's own assigned parking editor. Once you assign a parking spot for the airport, it will always send you there, but because it doesn't track AI an aircraft may already be parked there. So you still need to set a fictitious  parking code (or radius as the other solution)  to that gate in the AFCAD to insure no AI will park there.

So you still need to set a fictitious parking code (or radius as the other solution)

Again, codes will not stop AI from parking there, only the radius will.

Codes might work some places [edit] without a lot of traffic[/edit] and will slow down AI populating that spot, they will not prevent it.

If you don't believe me, scroll up to post #11 and follow WingZ's link. Maybe you will believe Reggie Fields, widely regarded as an AI expert, and Jim Vile, who knows more about the inner workings of FS (in regards to afcad related subjects) than most anyone.

regards,

Joe

Again, codes will not stop AI from parking there, only the radius will.

Codes might work some places [edit] without a lot of traffic[/edit] and will slow down AI populating that spot, they will not prevent it.

If you don't believe me, scroll up to post #11 and follow WingZ's link. Maybe you will believe Reggie Fields, widely regarded as an AI expert, and Jim Vile, who knows more about the inner workings of FS (in regards to afcad related subjects) than most anyone.

regards,

Joe

As I say, you do it your way and I'll do it mine!

"PFE will take you to the nearest parking space (GA, gate or whatever) whatever size".. that, I didn't know.

"I recommend you study the documentation or use the Oncourse Software forum at to understand how it works".. and that, I have done (installation DVD comes with printed booklets too), but I am never going to recall everything I have read!

I am now flying EGLC-ESSA and have set one of the gates at ESSA with a parking code corresponding to my initials; then set the parking code in the aircraft.cfg as the same. One says it works, the other it doesnt. As I said, I have not found this to be much good for me in the past - but if PFE in any case sends me to the nearest free gate anyway, it sounds like it was pointless. If it works OK for you Tom, great, but that's with the default FS9 ATC, you say.

So I also made the same gate 1m in radius: it should be free if I just head there when I arrive, in spite of PFE/ATC instructions.

Must say, PFE has been disappointing on some levels (not Oncourse software's fault - they clearly did the best they could with the FS2000 software they inherited), but all considered, especially run alongside FDC, it's SO much more realistic than the default ATC (all those great ATC accents for one!) that I am definitely not complaining!

If it works OK for you Tom, great, but that's with the default FS9 ATC, you say.

Yeah, I missed that the OP was using PFE, but you still need to take care of the gate in the AFCAD(One way or the other) so AI won't park there, then use the PFE parking editor to to force it to assign that spot for your aircraft.

Martin

Option 2 in PFE...Designated Parking Control will mean that you will be sent to a specific gate of your choosing. You need to set this up before starting your flight. As others have said you may well find an AI a/c already there, but apart from "radius editing" there is little you can do about this.

I find this the best option, as If I fly as British Airways I want to be directed to T5 on arrival at EGLL. If there is an interloper in your spot then zap him with FSUIPC !

Martin

Option 2 in PFE...Designated Parking Control will mean that you will be sent to a specific gate of your choosing. You need to set this up before starting your flight. As others have said you may well find an AI a/c already there, but apart from "radius editing" there is little you can do about this.

I find this the best option, as If I fly as British Airways I want to be directed to T5 on arrival at EGLL. If there is an interloper in your spot then zap him with FSUIPC !

The problem with setting up the AFCAD this way (Either way) is that if you fly into this airport a lot, and you don't use the same gate each time, if you don't remember to put the gate back to it's original settings each time, pretty soon you are going to find AI running out of available gates, for them to use, and you really will have a problem with AI parking.