Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Active Sky Next vs OpusFSX

Ok, just tested again, with turb enabled in Opus, it works great. Bump option does not. got continual bumping. But the turb effect works well. I'm happy with that.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

And OPUS has been acting up lately with windshifts galore and really bad winds aloft forecast vs in-game.

Probably more about the stronger, more complex winter upper air patterns than OPUS itself.  Winds are usually spot on, but traversing the wind LAYERS in climbs/descents can cause some radical shifts (which can be somewhat mitigated using OPUS settings at the expense of accuracy).   This is where I find ASN really shines...the vertical interpolation between layers make transitioning between a 40 knot headwind at lower levels to a 160 knot tailwind at upper levels just silky smooth.

Unfortunately I just cannot get ASN...  I got horrible stutters in ASN and no idea why.

I had what I would characterize as pauses, not stutters.  If you're using FSCopilot, make sure you disable the multi-core options (Addons>FSCopilot>Multicore) and that will go away.  Proper affinity mask setting, which had unknowingly been messed up on my machine, also made a big difference.

Chris Lundberg

Purchased ASN a couple of weeks ago and I will never go back to Opus.

1. Extremely pleased with weather depiction and with weather changes which don't create abrupt sim environment changes.

2.As an online user on a networked system installing ASN only once on the client was perfect, in Opus I had to install the program twice, etc.

As you can see from my PC specs my computer is definitely not new or even nearly new but I can run ASN very well with excellent FPS and rarely any stuttering in DX10 mode. You just need to play with the cloud layer numbers and untick the "enhance overcast" option which I never really use unless I'm flying high and want to obscure the ground totally.

I find the ASN turbulence feature the most realistic of all the current weather engines. I regularly fly in light aircraft for both work and pleasure - ASN brings an extra layer of realism I haven't seen in any of the other PC based flight simulator products.

I used to use OpusFSX but it has got more and more complicated with features I don't require. Wind shifts got worse as their versions updated and the turbulence feature was affecting the flight dynamics of all my aircraft so I've now uninstalled it and only use ASN. Great program. The first Hi Fi sim product I have bought for years and very glad I purchased it after the trial.

Regards

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Remember, whether it be Opus or ASN - we are dealing with a VERY complex program here. We users say - "I get a bump when I transition layers" - but remember the programs have a whole slew of weather rules to follow regarding winds, temps, visibility, etc. What ASN has accomplished is exceptional given the old FSX engine we're dealing with.

Just to clarify a bit - Opus or ASN do not 'cause' stutters, freezes or CTD's. They reveal an inherent incompatibility in the specific system.

If any program has a serious bug, it is usually evident in the majority of systems. Often time there is another program that is incompatible and it isn't revealed until the new program is added.

Elsewhere I gave a real life example that I had to deal with at work - a certain popular and expensive timeclock program suddenly started taking several minutes to open a screen that before took several seconds. After a LOT of testing I finally determined that Windows had updated the CD burning software and for SOME unknown reason, this software would cause the other software to lock for several minutes. The CD burning had absolutely NOTHING to do with the timeclock other than it was on the same system.

So rather than just blaming ASN or Opus, look to what else on your system could be incompatible. Saying that it didn't do it before and it does it now just defines the issue, it does not find the underlying cause.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't own AS or Opus, so 'thank you' to everyone here for helping me make a decision on which to buy. This entire thread was enlightening. I ran REX+OD since it was released, then recently upgraded to REX4 - but never considered an alternate weather engine until now.

Most of the facts and anecdotal evidence make ASN a bit more attractive to me, but the clear contrast in attitudes between the devs is the icing on the cake, and made the choice much more clear. Yes, the product quality is important. But I also like to support hard-working teams that understand their symbiotic relationship with competing developers. They push each other to improve. As long as that continues to happen, we, the consumers, win.

I will try both demos to be sure. Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get a negative vibe from that topic??

I choose to support both vendors ... and I don't really see anything other than good business competition from either ...

and both offer superb support ... I hope they both keep ' duking ' it out for years to come...

I have to agree with Jim, we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product when questioned about a competitor's product on our support forum, nothing more.

The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen since our customer support is excellent and we are praised for our timely and helpful assistance. We go out of our way to support our customers (day and night 7 days a week) and our official SimForum is renowned for its friendly and cooperative atmosphere.

Naturally we have the utmost respect for our competitors and agree that all vendors need your support in order to continue the innovative development which enhances your flight simulation experience. Developers put in a tremendous amount of time and effort and in return appreciate your constructive criticism and encouragement.

Cheryl

Opus Software

• Upvote 1

i also bought ASN and im more than happy,the best weather program i have used,i have also tried opus and others,bus ASN is the best by a distance.(just like messi)hehe

I have to agree with Jim, we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product when questioned about a competitor's product on our support forum, nothing more.

The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen since our customer support is excellent and we are praised for our timely and helpful assistance. We go out of our way to support our customers (day and night 7 days a week) and our official SimForum is renowned for its friendly and cooperative atmosphere.

Naturally we have the utmost respect for our competitors and agree that all vendors need your support in order to continue the innovative development which enhances your flight simulation experience. Developers put in a tremendous amount of time and effort and in return appreciate your constructive criticism and encouragement.

Cheryl

Opus Software

I assume you are talking about my comment.  How is what I said a personal attack?  When ASN first came out he made several comments saying that ASN is just doing what opus has been doing for years and that OPUS did it first....  Then there was the comment like this in the ASN warning thread  

If you have ASN installed and wish to use the OpusFSX Live Weather Engine (for realism purposes for instance)

What is for realism purposes supposed to mean Cheryl?  Are you implying that the weather injection by ASN is not realistic and if it is not how so? This is why I said he needs to reel himself in, it does not look good even if it was true. 

I own  several  weather injectors including OPUS ( used it for a year straight)  and I suggest the next time a weather injector is released you and Steve should  talk about the strengths of your product  ( cameras, DHM, etc.)  and not point fingers at another developer that has been around longer than you and say he copied me.... ( they did not) 

So to sum this up I was not attacking Steve,  I just think that the finger pointing at ASN was over the top and I don't think it helps OPUS as a brand. In fact I think Steven is a talented developer and he should let his software now and in the future do the talking.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

The maximum realism referred to above results from combining both the Live Weather Engine (LWE) and the Live Camera DHM and Bump Aircraft (now also ButtKicker control) together. The LWE supervises and controls the turbulence in real time providing the most realistic flying experience.

There's no finger pointing, read Cheryl's comment.

Stephen

The maximum realism referred to above results from combining both the Live Weather Engine (LWE) and the Live Camera DHM and Bump Aircraft (now also ButtKicker control) together. The LWE supervises and controls the turbulence in real time providing the most realistic flying experience.

There's no finger pointing, read Cheryl's comment.

Stephen

The main reason I purchased OPUS when it came out was because the combined DHM and LWE,  This is a feature your product has that is unique and done quite well. I don't have buttkicker and honestly don't know much about it, I will look into it when I can improve the audio part of my sim setup after I move ( living in a condo right now with thin thin walls)  

I was not trying to attack you or your product I think that both ASN and OPUS offer great features, I just think you came off as a bit defensive when ASN first came out that is what I meant by the finger pointing not the comment made by Cheryl.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

It's good to hear you say this, Cheryl.  If this is or can become a consistent Opus message, I think that would take the bulk of the concerns off the table - it would certainly resolve all of mine.  The questions I raised were about tone, not substance.  Your product is excellent - differences of opinion about it probably come down to taste - and I'm getting good use out of it.  Just wanted to try to clear the air on that score.

Please understand that I have no dog in this hunt. I don't own ASN or OPUS. I know little about both. I found this thread while seeking answers to questions I had regarding weather engines in FSX. I've been using the ASN demo for 3 days, and honestly, I'm just somewhat impressed. I planned on downloading the OPUS demo tonight for comparison. But...

I really have a problem with everything I'm reading here. I'm pretty shocked, to be frank. My perception of vendors and developers, up until today, has been nothing positive. I even find that some of the more controversial devs at Orbx enjoy constructive, mature conversation with like-minded hobbyists who seek to get the best out of FSX... the exact opposite of the conversations logged by OPUS.

"...the next AS will not put it ahead of OpusFSX since it will still basically be the same weather engine, with the same weather injection and FSX is FSX no matter what is claimed by others."

"Looks like AS are just trying to copy us anyway and playing catch up ... dynamic theme weather indeed "

"Basically AS are just playing catch up and now copying our pioneering use of Dynamic Weather Themes (should have patented the idea). Most of their list is just promising to overcome the shortcomings in their current weather engine and introduce features that we have had and used for nearly two years now."

"And yes, it is very comical indeed that they are now going over to OUR Dynamic Weather Theme approach."

"Just bare in mind 95% of what they are claiming to achieve in their next version we have already achieved and have been using for several years now, no matter what gloss they put on it. "

"I would advise users not to believe all of the hype coming from our competitors, as I have stated, 95%+ of what they are claiming as new OpusFSX already does and has been doing for a long time now. "

"Quite funny how they've adopted our Dynamic Weather Themes and produced that 'long' list of faults with their previous engine, especially considering what they and their supporters have been saying over the past two years or so."

And ironically concludes with...

"Please no more comments on this topic, it has little to do with OpusFSX support and we really aren't interested in what anyone has or has not to say about competing products."

I find this kind of talk to be petty and offensive, even if everything said is 100% true. It clearly offended others as well. Even worse, in response to being questioned about these statements, they say...

"we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product."

and..

"The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen"

I am stunned to hear such a patronizing, politician's response.

OPUS. Please listen. These are not "personal attacks." We want you to succeed. Companies imitate you because, clearly, you do fantastic work. But this energy is bad for the community. It's bad for your company. A certain level of professionalism, maturity and grace are required to take your product to the next level. Which path will you take? It's in your hands entirely. Best of luck.

I'll pass on the demo, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Cant go past Asn  with rex4  textures

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Please understand that I have no dog in this hunt. I don't own ASN or OPUS. I know little about both. I found this thread while seeking answers to questions I had regarding weather engines in FSX. I've been using the ASN demo for 3 days, and honestly, I'm just somewhat impressed. I planned on downloading the OPUS demo tonight for comparison. But...

I really have a problem with everything I'm reading here. I'm pretty shocked, to be frank. My perception of vendors and developers, up until today, has been nothing positive. I even find that some of the more controversial devs at Orbx enjoy constructive, mature conversation with like-minded hobbyists who seek to get the best out of FSX... the exact opposite of the conversations logged by OPUS.

"...the next AS will not put it ahead of OpusFSX since it will still basically be the same weather engine, with the same weather injection and FSX is FSX no matter what is claimed by others."

"Looks like AS are just trying to copy us anyway and playing catch up ... dynamic theme weather indeed "

"Basically AS are just playing catch up and now copying our pioneering use of Dynamic Weather Themes (should have patented the idea). Most of their list is just promising to overcome the shortcomings in their current weather engine and introduce features that we have had and used for nearly two years now."

"And yes, it is very comical indeed that they are now going over to OUR Dynamic Weather Theme approach."

"Just bare in mind 95% of what they are claiming to achieve in their next version we have already achieved and have been using for several years now, no matter what gloss they put on it. "

"I would advise users not to believe all of the hype coming from our competitors, as I have stated, 95%+ of what they are claiming as new OpusFSX already does and has been doing for a long time now. "

"Quite funny how they've adopted our Dynamic Weather Themes and produced that 'long' list of faults with their previous engine, especially considering what they and their supporters have been saying over the past two years or so."

And ironically concludes with...

"Please no more comments on this topic, it has little to do with OpusFSX support and we really aren't interested in what anyone has or has not to say about competing products."

I find this kind of talk to be petty and offensive, even if everything said is 100% true. It clearly offended others as well. Even worse, in response to being questioned about these statements, they say...

"we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product."

and..

"The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen"

I am stunned to hear such a patronizing, politician's response.

OPUS. Please listen. These are not "personal attacks." We want you to succeed. Companies imitate you because, clearly, you do fantastic work. But this energy is bad for the community. It's bad for your company. A certain level of professionalism, maturity and grace are required to take your product to the next level. Which path will you take? It's in your hands entirely. Best of luck.

I'll pass on the demo, thanks.

All of this........to simply state that you're going to pass on trying a demo ........under the premise that you have "no dog in the hunt" ?????   

No need to release the hounds.

No wonder the forums have been slow lately - too much traffic.

Regards, Kendall