Sign in to follow this  
achoffm1

P3D V2 my thoughts

No, not everyone was pleasant to him. One person in fact started his post with "Too Bad".  I'm sure that when the staff member told him that many others had already posted on this subject it felt like he was being told that he was foolish to post about it again. Why else mention that fact?

Disagrees show up as big red X's, and appear on your profile the same way. Of course it feels like a down vote.

- Bill Magann

Just an FYI.. When you write a 686 word opinion piece about a product on any public forum.. Whether it's a Flight Sim or car stereos.. You're looking for a response and to see if others agree or disagree with you.. If he didn't care what others thought he would never have written it. One "questionable" at best response is hardly a reason to get upset because a user rage quit.. He did it to himself.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yep, he quit on his first day after the reception he got. Not surprised at all. And after 30 years in the hobby, I don't need any gratuitous FYI's. Just FYI.

- Bill Magann

"Too bad" as in Too bad he's deciding to leave the forum. And I think the "like, dislike, agree, disagree" thingy makes too many people feel like it's some kind of dumb popularity contest.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I certainly agree with the last part of your post laserit. It is totally unnecessary.

- Bill Magann

I still think those buttons are retrograde step.

I someone disagrees with me let them say so. Simply clicking Dislike or Disagree buttons seems to be a bit gutless especially in forums like this. Why do they merely  Dislike or Disagree - are they incapable of explaining themselves?

I left this forum for a long time because of the way some members here can be so abrasive whenever they read a post that they disagree with. And these dumb grading post buttons are the worst idea ever!  Diversity is a wonderful thing, yet all too often we judge others based solely on how we would have reacted. The truth is that we are all different, and things affect us all differently, so why should we be expected to all react in the same way.

And just because someone writes a lengthy post as a means of voicing their opinions, doesn't necessarily mean that they are trying to get others to strongly agree or disagree with them.  Some of us just require more text to put our thoughts into words, and sometimes all we are trying to do is add our feelings to the mix. It is like giving a public speech . . . where you don't mind it when people clap, but no one wants to be booed.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Oh well. We will never agree on this.. Maybe I'm crazy but I just don't let a 16x16 icon with some text next to it ruin my day..  I've had disagrees and dislikes, and even had someone click dumb once on a post of mine..  I made it through the day just fine and still post here..   I'm all against bullying but there comes a point where tip-toeing around the forum is just a bit much.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

If P3D v2.x will be running fine like LM has planned it , if more people start using it, and if 3rd party developers start making addons for it , then it will be a succes....

Most 3rd party scenery developers are comfortable inthe FSX / Fs9 zone and there are way more potential buyers there....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

If P3D v2.x will be running fine like LM has planned it , if more people start using it, and if 3rd party developers start making addons for it , then it will be a succes....

Most 3rd party scenery developers are comfortable inthe FSX / Fs9 zone and there are way more potential buyers there....

Despite the fact I've found some very good things about V2 there are some issues that really look troubling to me and I quite frankly can't imagine how they will be addressed w/o some very fundamental changes.  Right now I would bet a fair amount trying to get something as complex as the PMDG NGX/T7 to run at default large terminals will essentially not be doable even w/ the best of hardware.  I say this because of how I see V2 behaving at these terminals, such as KORD or KLAX or any of the big terminals.  One can be parked at the gate, looking out at front view w/o seeing the VC cockpit, IOW, just a simple unobscured view of the side of an airport terminal and see frames in the very low 20's with very high end hardware.   I can only imagine in the PMDG stuff we will be back into the teens.  The very bad part is that moving sliders only affects this marginally.  We'll see of course, but to me something is fundamentally flawed w/ parts of the rendering engine.  A large area top-down view, for example at KORD at night will get you down to an FPS of 18 when zoomed out a ways, and the very sad part is the GPU isn't being leveraged for this.   See my thread re explaining poor performance in V2 in these types of settings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel, the Ifly 737 NGX has been released for P3Dv2.

And Fly Tampa Vienna X has also been updated for P3Dv2...

At Simmarket there are seperate P3Dv1 and P3Dv2 addon pages...

P3Dv2 : Dubai, St Maarten, Grenadines, Curacoa, Athens, Polish airports v3, Kai Tak.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have an elderly text book on Windows C++ programming. It's last chapter is titled "The Polished Application".  I don't think anyone could call Prepare3D v2.0  a polished application.

You're possibly quite right .......... but the fact remains that P3Dv2 is "more polished" than FSX out of the box. Your point therefore, in this particular thread, is quite irrelevant.

I hate how folks down-vote people when they give an honest, and generally accurate, opinion. Vanilla P3D is very plain, just as he described it. I myself am not disappointed about what add-ons do and don't work (in fact I wish that P3D was so different that NONE of them worked), but he has the right to say what he thinks. And right now P3D is almost all potential, and little reality. Just as he said, all of the future usefulness of this sim falls on the shoulders of 3rd party developers. As is, it is actually quite hard to see much difference between this and FSX. I know it isn't FSX, but darn, it sure looks, flies and sounds like it! If, like me, he dropped $200 on it he is likely to be a little disappointed that it is not yet living up to its potential. I'm willing to wait for that potential to be developed. But in the meantime I also reserve the right to point out any flaws I see. People here sometimes behave like if we aren't all universal in our praise P3D will vanish (like Flight). But that is a strange assumption to make.

Anyway, the guy makes his first post here and gets 5 down votes before he can say "boo". I can't blame him for being discouraged. It really hardly matters what advice he got after that. He had already been slammed.

I disagree with some of the comments you make, but for the sake of fairness (plus the fact that it's a Friday night and I am taking a 5 week Christmas summer break), I will agree about the possibility that the guy quickly got discouraged. And this is where I think we all (myself included) need to be mindful that if a disagree vote is made on the opening thread, it is at least good manners to at least explain why with a follow up comment. And yes, I have been guilty of doing just that - not in this thread thankfully!

But my opinion on this would be better discussed in Hanger Chat. Have a great Christmas - mine has already started and the beach beckons!

I certainly agree that part of the overall success will revolve around 3rd Party support at the "simmer/gamer" level, but this product is aimed primarily at a different target market. I have no doubt it will succeed, with us behind it or without. Gaining acceptance from a 2nd tier market that has been entrenched in a dead platform kept alive by 3rd party developers, is, as you can see here at Avsim a different story.

Many people have invested many $$$$$$ to keep the "old girl" (fsx) breathing and it is human nature that many will resist change if only to continue, or at least think that they can continue with their investment. They can, but only for a limited time.

The good news is, from what I have heard, is that P3Dv2 is easier to work with and I assume that also means lower development costs. Some will be slower than others to adapt. That, also, is human nature. Some will also hide behind an EULA to suck the most they can from their client base, especially during a "transitional phase". That is business and the way it is.

Regardless, the future of P3D is bright, even if a lot of people can't see it yet. That's why you have leaders .......... and those that follow eventually ( ........... possibly still screaming / moaning / complaining). I prefer the middle ground and run both sims, simply because I am getting the best of both worlds now and it's a pity that many can't see that.

Maybe that's why my business has survived and prospered for 18 years now, I have learnt to transition through change rather than jump in blindly boots 'n' all, or at worse, resisted it.

Merry Christmas

This is exactly the cause why I left almost any "community" in the net, may it be avsim, faceDumb ® or most other unsocial networks...I once was a quite known member of some military flightsim dev team, did a lot distributing and PR work - and was always struggling to keep servers up against DDOS attacks, still have TONS of very old hate mail on my archive hdd's.

I don't need all this anymore; this is why I rarely post anything (even on my own site(s) ).

I left this forum for a long time because of the way some members here can be so abrasive whenever they read a post that they disagree with. And these dumb grading post buttons are the worst idea ever!  Diversity is a wonderful thing, yet all too often we judge others based solely on how we would have reacted. The truth is that we are all different, and things affect us all differently, so why should we be expected to all react in the same way.