Sign in to follow this  
achoffm1

P3D V2 my thoughts

First time poster, been using FSX for about 6 months under the guidance of a good friend who has been using it for years and has easily 1k+ hours.

I used a 3770k running at 4.5ghz, 16 gigs of Ram, 2 x 670 FTW SLI (disabled SLI now for flight sim), 3 SSD no conventional drives. 

With FSX obviously had no issues with add on scenery and airports (megascenery, flight beam, orbix, weather, traffic) the only issue is it was very CPU dependent, I would run it locked at 60FPS, at my worst airports I would drop to sub 20FPS, most airports ran at 30+ or more.

Enough P3d V2

Had it since launch day, worked side by side with my friend on setting it up. I did a full clean install of the OS on my computer. The base game runs great, its just plain.

megasceneryearth install just fine, the only issue I have is blurriness that I never had in FSX. I have messed around with all the settings and still have yet to find a solution. (as I type this I forgot I have yet to try it with tessellation off). My theory P3 V2 does not know how to utilize the graphics or memory properly at all.  Yes I see my graphic card actually being used vs FSX which didn't, but I can't figure out what the heck its using it for.

Flightbeam- can't even get to install, I get an error stating it can't find FSX. I have downloaded and redownloaded the installers and bam. The only issue I can think is I have P3D installed on its own drive and its not C drive, and that I installed it just to the drive and didn't make a folder to install P3D into first. 

Orbix works, I've noticed a few airports the scenery from orbix is taking over the airports and making taxi ways grass. This is evident at KDEN for me.

My Traffic Pro 5.4 works, I get an install error. But I was able to just add a simple simobject line into my P3D V2 .CFG file and the traffic works fine. 

Active Sky works, I got an error at installation but it works in the game fine. 

Basically I am 50/50 split on going back to FSX, I had a stable FSX working great for months until I kept getting crashes out of nowhere got tried of it had hope for P3D v2, but so far I am disappointed with P3D v2, I get a lot of the errors people have posted, I've done a few fixes. I am also split on going back since I fly for a virtual airline and I can't get my 3rd party planes to work.

At the end of the day its the future platform if they can properly manage graphics which IMO falls on the 3rd party add on folks, I personally feel that it is BS to tell us they are compatible, in reality they have to recode the 3rd party so it can make use of the graphics card and fit with the rest of the program. 

As for settings and tweaks I think we are wasting our time until the software is updated and improved, its clear to me this program still suffers 32 bit issues.

3.5 gig of ram with 13-14 gigs free and ready (Same as FSX)

1.5 gigs of vram with another .5 gigs free (Only difference I can tell so far and I can't tell ##### its actually doing, my add on scenery that works is worse off in performance)

CPU uses 3 cores and only 50% processor power, I have played with affinity mask settings an HT so far nothing

If anyone has suggestions or wants me to try anything let me know. From my FSX experience it doesn't matter what my processor is clocking once over 3.5ghz the FPS didn't really improve, its my opinion FSX and P3D are just so far behind in using modern computer technology, I expect that from FSX but not P3d.

Dont mean to sound rude or condescending, please dont take it that way. But there have been many posts about this already. Put it simply, P3D2 is not FSX. It works differently (which is why we are buying it) and developers like Orbx and Aerosoft have already stated their products need fsr more work than simply an installer so they work in P3D2.

We need to be patient and wait until their products get uldated properly to run on the new platform. At present it is almost like installing an FS5 add on into FSX and expexting it to work straight away.

I have issues with airports where the default scenery is coming through the payware layer, aircraft losing sound or panels, etc. As soon as ee have dedicated add ons in the new year, this will be truly enjoyable. Until then, we just have to wait.

Sent from my Mobile thing

I think what you're finding is that P3DV2 is months, maybe more away from enjoying the many benefits we currently have with FSX.  I mentioned in another thread awhile ago that those who purchased day one wouldn't have an instant, just add water bag of goodness to load into the sim.

For me, my opinion, P3DV2 will be a fantastic purchase in October next year.  Until then, like me, enjoy a fully loaded FSX.

"megasceneryearth install just fine, the only issue I have is blurriness that I never had in FSX"

Try Affinity mask=14 for a quad core or 84 if hyper-thread is on. This has worked for some of us.

This tweak is also in the LM Learning Center, Tuning guide.

Hope it works for you also.

Lyn

If there is one thing I've learned over 27 years of playing with flight sim's the lesson is "Patience" This has never been a mega market, like it or not we are a small niche. Just like FSX, P3Dv2 will be a good, it will be a year or more, before it will please you. Things are done different now, I've got all the toys and most of my favorite addon's work like shite. The system has changed for the better and products have to be made to conform to the new way.

Two year's from now we will be seeing how good P3Dv2 really is. Like it or not, that's the way its always been.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I don´t understand this. It is very clear that most of the add-ons on the market today are NOT compatible yet with P3D v2 (ORBX and many more), yet people install them with different migrators or manually and then they blame LM when they doin´t work as expected and post complaints in almost every forum!!!! Why can´t you just be patient and WAIT until the add-ons are P3D v2 ready?

"megasceneryearth install just fine, the only issue I have is blurriness that I never had in FSX"

Try Affinity mask=14 for a quad core or 84 if hyper-thread is on. This has worked for some of us.

This tweak is also in the LM Learning Center, Tuning guide.

Hope it works for you also.

Lyn

Tried it.. Did not work. 

I don´t understand this. It is very clear that most of the add-ons on the market today are NOT compatible yet with P3D v2 (ORBX and many more), yet people install them with different migrators or manually and then they blame LM when they doin´t work as expected and post complaints in almost every forum!!!! Why can´t you just be patient and WAIT until the add-ons are P3D v2 ready?

I am just sharing my experience. I did not use a migrator I am more computer knowledgeable and can do it myself, I installed applications that some of which were advertised as P3D ready when in reality the code needs to be reworked and probably scraped and rewritten to work with modern hardware.

You are simply trying to turn around me sharing my experience into me complaining about P3D V2, as I have already said its the future, but even the base game itself IMO from what they advertise to what has shown up is a joke, they advertise being able to take advantage of modern hardware, the game in its base form does not.

Anyways I am done here, moving to another flight sim forum. I hate how a moderator has to approve everything. Makes me feel like a lot of censoring goes on here.

Too bad

To put things into perspective you can and should read the forums about FSX starting from October 17 2006 when it was released.

Might give you a good chuckle and lighten you up.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Anyways I am done here, moving to another flight sim forum. I hate how a moderator has to approve everything. Makes me feel like a lot of censoring goes on here.

The first 5 posts of all new members have to have a moderators approval. After that, full posting privileges are given.

There is absolutely no censoring at AVSIM. Posts that are in violation of AVSIM's Terms of Service may well be 'hidden' but never deleted, and the poster may be sanctioned for the violation.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wasn't aware ...............  Uhhhh, can't be bothered!

I hate how folks down-vote people when they give an honest, and generally accurate, opinion. Vanilla P3D is very plain, just as he described it. I myself am not disappointed about what add-ons do and don't work (in fact I wish that P3D was so different that NONE of them worked), but he has the right to say what he thinks. And right now P3D is almost all potential, and little reality. Just as he said, all of the future usefulness of this sim falls on the shoulders of 3rd party developers. As is, it is actually quite hard to see much difference between this and FSX. I know it isn't FSX, but darn, it sure looks, flies and sounds like it! If, like me, he dropped $200 on it he is likely to be a little disappointed that it is not yet living up to its potential. I'm willing to wait for that potential to be developed. But in the meantime I also reserve the right to point out any flaws I see. People here sometimes behave like if we aren't all universal in our praise P3D will vanish (like Flight). But that is a strange assumption to make.

Anyway, the guy makes his first post here and gets 5 down votes before he can say "boo". I can't blame him for being discouraged. It really hardly matters what advice he got after that. He had already been slammed.

- Bill Magann

What? No one "down voted" anyone.. What does that even mean anyway? This isn't Reddit. You act like "disagree" is an insult. No one spoke to the OP in a mean way.. A bunch disagreed with his opinion and some gave a response with their opinion in nice way..  If disagreeing with opinion and responding in kind with your own is a crime so is agreeing with one.  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I have an elderly text book on Windows C++ programming. It's last chapter is titled "The Polished Application".  I don't think anyone could call Prepare3D v2.0  a polished application.