Sign in to follow this  
jack-daniels

P3D v2.0 freezes after appr. 20 mins.

hey,

just installed a fresh copy of P3D v2.0 on a fresh Win 7 64bit OS.

After appr. 20 mins P3D the whole system freezes.

my specs:

i5 3570k @ 4,4ghz (totally stable for months and tests while overclocking, no probs with FSX)

8GB Corsair Vengeance CL7

Palit GTX 680 2gb

Samsung 27" 2560x1440

I am using HD 4096 textures by REX4 Text. diret.

P3D settings, as far as I can say without running it now:

Tesselation medium

HDR on

vol. fog on

Texture max load 4096

FXAA on, 2x AA, 16x AF

mid maps on, widescreen on,

frames unlimited

vsync on, triple buffering on

scenery compl. full right

autogen normal

buildings dense

What might cause the freeze?

Any hints how to find out?

Could it be a a too big workload for the GPU? Does it cause a freeze?

CPU should´n be a problem I think.

Thanks for helping me!

Holy moly! Lower the res from 4096 and start from lowest. I have an i5 3470 and a GTX660 running all at 1024 and it hums along with no issues. Your 2G card is possibly the bottleneck. I know people with GTX770 4Gb who are able to run 4096 but a 6 series card with 2G I think you are pushing it a little too much.

Sent from my Mobile thing

hehe.. don´t panic :-)

thanks for the hint., will try lower res!

Didn´t really knew, that the high res. is so much dependend on the GPU.

I also have to admit, that I didn´t install nvidia Inspector to check the workload on the GPU....

will report back in a few hours, when the night is over here in germany ;-)

Unlike fsx where a better card was hardly utilized unless you forced it, P3D2 does seem to do a better job of it. You can certainly see the difference now in the use of the hardware. Good luck with it!

Sent from my Mobile thing

"Whole system freezes"

This is a gigantic beacon of light.... Your problem isn't Prepar3D..   (in my opinion) 

#1 i5 3570k @ 4,4ghz (totally stable for months and tests while overclocking, no probs with FSX)

Until you never have system freezes and crashes.. You honestly can't rule this out as the problem.. I've seen countless times on forums like HardOCP and Guru3D people who have claimed to have stable overclocks then update their progress saying "was getting crashes with such and such program..  Had to up my voltage blah blah blah to stablize it."..  You can throw all the benchmarks and games in the world at a overclocked CPU and have 99% of them be fine...... It only takes one to find the crack... :)

#2.. Check your temps..  Complete system freezes are usually a sign of bad overclocks or dangerously excessive heat in the GPU or CPU...  

Good luck!!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Hey,

i've checked the gpu workload with nvidia inspector and found out, that it was at 99% all the time. I adjusted some sliders and checkboxes (like shadows) but it didn't help to reduce the workload.

Next step was to lock the frame rate (to 30) - after that the gpu load fell back go 60-70%!

I think the PC freezer because of the high workload, because it never happened again (for now).

Something still isn't right. I have games that will cause 99% workload on both of my cards and play for hours on end.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

1) Start with a new .cfg file

2)Remove the overclock.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I would suggest if you start doing tests, you do so one step at a time. You have now removed your overclock, rebuilt your cfg and presumably running different settings in P3D, so how will you now decide what the reasons were for your issue? When trying to decide what the cause of something, it's always best to try one thing at a time and then run with it to see if it has had a beneficial affect. I would have suggested the same as Will, reduce your cloud textures to 1024 and run with that for a while before trying something else. Anyway, keep us all informed of your progress :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yup.. I pegged that overclock from day one as the probable issue.  

Thanks so far...

Cloud textures are all at 1024.

I will now start with a new cfg.

Problems now are flashes, black screens like I posted in another thread...

Weird...  Just out of curiosity.. What kind of Power Supply is sitting in your PC? 

You need to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (see pinned topic in CTD Forum).  You need to see if there is a crash report (using AppCrashView).  If not you need to check the Event Viewer.  It's all in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  There are some fixes for freezes, black screens, and flashes provided.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10