Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmy64

I'm Convinced

We are now a month in to the V2 chapter and I've been sitting on the sidelines, lurking, reading and watching. I've read the good and the bad and seen the best and the worst of human behavior (so to speak). It amazes me how impassioned some can become about our chosen hobby and the equipment within it, both hardware as well as software. My head has hurt at times from continuing to read a bad thread, hoping that it might turn for the better or that I may find some useful information. I've watched Vlogs and YouTube clips till I've had to use a homeopathic solution for my tired and strained eyes. Now, with my computer under re-construction (I'm on my laptop) and the final purchases being made it is finally time to pull the trigger one direction or the other. I'm not wired to be a two sim guy, not surprising as I could never cheat on girlfriends. So now, with 30 days of research done, I'm  ready to make my decision as to which flight simulator program will inhabit my SSD, and it's not what I thought it would be through most of this process! I am prepared :smile: ... to go with V2! The why's are really only important to me and I choose not to start another one of those bad threads by pointing out one particular feature or lack thereof. My copy of FSX is officially off to the local thrift store where I'm sure it will find some life again. I'm looking forward to the upcoming years and the thousands of hours that I'm certain to spend, in the skies of V2.

Well as someone switching back to FSX today have fun.

PV2 in its base form is ok, currently the add on material won't work properly for the most part. Overall the program has a lot of work, and even when I had things running smoothly I would always get a crash after running the program for around 2 hours. You also have issues of porting planes over, the programs are just too different and despite programs adverting P3D ready they are not, they have to re-write the code to make use of P3D and the way it allocates it information.

I plan on running FSX as my primary flight sim, I doubt I will install P3D again until they update it. So if you have a lot of FSX stuff like I do, this probably isn't a great move, keep the FSX you will be back to it in a week or two, P3D has too many little flaws that add up, from the main screen launcher and not being able to do a flight plan form the main screen to the various stupid small errors that should of been fixed before release as they are so obvious and happen to just about everyone.

I appreciate your concern and I place value in everyone's experience. There's not much, if anything really, that I haven't found out, over and over, by now. What I will be using has a great deal of developer support, not to mention that of LM. I enjoy the journey as much as the end result, and just like I enjoyed my time with FSX, which was far from perfect in the fall of 2006, I'll enjoy this one.

Load up p3d in a years time when all the bugs are sorted and developers have it sorted out. I'm not pro fsx or p3d, just saying that it takes time before she's playing nice with third party software.

Hi jimmy, I made the same switch you did and never looked back. I am running v2 with ftx global, Rex, ezdok, ut2 and coolsky dc9. No problems and no crashes. It's so much better than fsx in terms of performance and visuals. A patch due next month will sort out some niggles and future updates will bring cloud shadows and other goodies.

Another thing to remember when reading posts - people are far more likely to post issues and problems then everything is great emails.

FSX is an old platform without support of Microsoft. P3D has a bright future because of the active support from LM.

I'm using V2 from the first day, and I really like it. Of course there are some issues, but LM is on it and the first update will be released soon.

I deleted FSX, and enjoy P3D V2

This is what I'm installing:

Aircraft; iFly 737NG (already have P3D license), A2A Piper Cub, A2A C172, Carenado's T182T (will eventually use Flight1's G1000 Student Trainer with this), Majestic Q400, and when released PMDG's 777.

Weather: ASN

Textures: REX Essential, will get 4 later, FTX Global Vectors

Airports: FSDT KJFK & KLAX

Scenery: ORBX PNW

That should do it for a while!

Dude to each its own, If you just can't bare to play without all the ironed out FSX addons that are incompatible with P3D, then don't bother.

For some of us this was our way of starting over and reliving that immersion magic of something new in a sim. 

I was immersed with basic stock default P3DV2 right off the bat.

Havn't had that feeling since 2006. Now with FTXG and Rex4 installed its gonna be an even better experience.

Addon planes and other things can wait for now, until I'm bored with the default features.

................ I enjoy the journey as much as the end result, and just like I enjoyed my time with FSX, which was far from perfect in the fall of 2006, I'll enjoy this one.

This is so true! Exactly what I try to teach my students: the adventure of learning is so much more interesting than just knowledge per se! Too bad everyone and everything around us is obsessioned with results all the time ..... And I'm not talking about flightsimming of course.

This is interesting reading! People "port over" add-ons that are NOT compatible with P3D v2 and when they don´t work properly, they post a complaint and blame P3D v2!!!!!!!! When will you ever learn?

This was mentioned in another thread but I'll bring it up here as well. Razbam's Metroliner 111 is not a port, it's V2 native and the P3D version won't work in FSX. This is good news as other developers are sure to do the same. iFly's 737 NG for P3D, also will not work in FSX. I don't know about PMDG's 777, but I would think that they will not release it for P3D unless it works flawlessly in V2. Some of the later model planes with P3D installers that aren't perfect out of the box will get the attention they deserve from their developers, if not, so be it. More are coming. 

I think he was referencing ORBX scenerey which is causing some problems.

I have full faith that ORBX will get their issues ironed out quickly. I'm making this move because I don't think it's going to take a year to get things running right. My feelings are, if I wait a year as some are doing, I would be missing out on 9-10 months or more of flying time in this new environment. Add that to the fact that this is going into a brand new computer, going to V2 just makes sense for me. Those who are holding out have their own reasons, and I think many of them are valid. Some only have limited time to devote to flight simming and if their set-up is working for them, now may not be the time.

I would be missing out on 9-10 months or more of flying time in this new environment.

Well go for it! Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? Thanks for telling me its ok if I wait tl LEAST a year. FS is only entertainment for me anyways.

For me half the fun of P3D 2.0 is the fact that it's a sim with a future. In development as we speak. I simply want to be part of this 'living' sim!!! Even though that sometimes means I have to deal with frustration...  ^_^ 

Just to be sure (although I suppose you know this already since you took your time to 'read into it'): you do need the special P3D 2.0 version of ASN, and you have to take care with REX3 because some textures won't work well and may hurt performance. PNW is on Orbx's list as one of the first regions to be made compatible so that one shouldn't take too long although things are taking more time than Orbx expected due to various problems.

And just so there's no confusion - the P3D2 Version of ASN is in beta and has NOT been released yet.

I too switched to P3D and haven't looked back. I have FSX on a second system and only fire it up when I am testing something. At this stage of the release, P3D2 has FEWER issues than FSX did in the same time period. Don't forget, there are also a lot of people who just recently switched to FSX and have the benefit of all the tweaking done through the years. The big key, as others have pointed out, is that P3D is a "live" and growing product. FSX is essentially stagnant as a platform, relying only on add-on developers for a new spark every now and then.

Vic

And just so there's no confusion - the P3D2 Version of ASN is in beta and has NOT been released yet.

I too switched to P3D and haven't looked back. I have FSX on a second system and only fire it up when I am testing something. At this stage of the release, P3D2 has FEWER issues than FSX did in the same time period. Don't forget, there are also a lot of people who just recently switched to FSX and have the benefit of all the tweaking done through the years. The big key, as others have pointed out, is that P3D is a "live" and growing product. FSX is essentially stagnant as a platform, relying only on add-on developers for a new spark every now and then.

Vic

As someone pointed out before in some thread, it's not the FSX of 2006 that is the comparison point right now.  It's the FSX of Dec 2013 with it's hundreds of certified compatible addons, and years worth of knowledge about how to get it to perform optimally, and of course most of us have already been over that hurdle for a long time now.  P3D is definitely the way forward, but I completely sympathize with the people who have decided to stick with FSX as their primary platform for the short term:  There really is something to be said for an FSX at the top of it's game, perhaps not to live much longer, but nearly as mature as it's going to get. 

For me, even though P3D has its issues at this time, it is fun to be part of the experience in watching it continue to develop into the platform that it will become, as well as participating in shaping the product as an owner by providing input in the Lockheed Martin's forums.

I am really looking forward to v2.05, which will be a service pack to take care of many minor and moderate issues.  Who knows, we may even get a new feature or a feature upgrade.  Then after that we have v2.1, which should include new features (possibly SLI and cloud shadows) upgraded features(possibly improved water) and additional bug fixes (possibly the FSX stutter bug that LM discovered recently).  By the way, I am pretty sure that microsoft won't be working on that bug anytime soon.

After v2.1, we will have v2.2 and beyond.  Good times ahead.

Well go for it! Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? Thanks for telling me its ok if I wait tl LEAST a year. FS is only entertainment for me anyways.

I don't understand, first why you are in a P3D thread after having tried it, returned it and gone back to FSX and second, where or why you take the contents of the thread and make it into some type of personal affront. I'm quoting your first post in the thread and yet you make it seem like there's been some previous comment made directly to you that says it's OK if you hold off using P3D. Why are you doing that, Rendi? If you have decided not to use P3D at this time, that's OK. But why do you want to keep coming back and inserting yourself into threads about a product YOU don't want to use.

It seems like you need to get some answers for your actions and maybe then you won't feel the need to come into this P3D forum or hopefully, any other P3D forum and attack the product or the people who want to use it

Hehe! Funny reading all this, maybe we need some special appointed "Sim Counsellors" to help people adjust, move  on, or move back, or whatever they may find fit for the special Sim  OCD psyche!

Gosh, it´s crazy these days...

:rolleyes:

I don't know about PMDG's 777, but I would think that they will not release it for P3D unless it works flawlessly in V2.

Personally, I think it was developed with v1.4 and is ready for v2. We're just waiting on licensing.

Personally, I think it was developed with v1.4 and is ready for v2. We're just waiting on licensing.

Don't think so. The plane doesn't even work in P3D with the various available tricks because it is blocked in the code itself (unlike the 737NGX and other older models) so it certainly wasn't developed with 1.4. But even if it was it wouldn't be strange if it needed some recoding due to DX11, like a lot of other planes, specially since this is quite a complicated one.

And besides, PMDG stated they aren't thinking about going 'into P3D' for the simmers, so that could mean they have a more professional market in mind and that could mean the addon will require even more extra and 'deeper' modelling of various things.

There are some issues that may take a while to iron out but I think there is hope they will be.  The positives have been mentioned many times and they are the reason despite using FSX well tricked out for years and having excellent performance...I find I just haven't been using it since installed V2.  

Besides the smaller bugs that will be addressed in 2.1 one area that looks poorly to me is the very clear line of demarkation of 3D lights in FTXG during night flights into big metro areas, where as you fly along the line keeps moving ahead of you in step w/ your movement forward.   Interestingly, on my machine I can GPU utilization at only 40% in this scenario, which is one reason I'm hopeful this too will be improved as that seems like a boatload of unused processing asset to be sitting on the sidelines.  I haven't noticed this in FSX, but it's been awhile since I've been up in FSX so maybe I've forgotten.   Maybe ORBX will improve on the 3D lighting which I don't believe is exploiting DX11 well or so I've read.

Hehe! Funny reading all this, maybe we need some special appointed "Sim Counsellors" to help people adjust, move  on, or move back, or whatever they may find fit for the special Sim  OCD psyche!

Gosh, it´s crazy these days...

:rolleyes:

I was thinking this exact same thing as I was reading through this topic (First topic to read since I joined, first reply as well).  I sympathize with the original poster when trying to search around, read opinions and watch videos there is a lot out there with die hard FSX fans, X Plane fans and I didn't even know about P3D until one of the videos mentioned it.

As a rec pilot I was wanting something as realistic as possible.  My dilemma is that over the last 10 years I've had very little time behind the controls and I'm at a point now where I have the time and resources to start flying again.  My previous flight sim experience with FSX dates back to the mid 80s and playing it as a kid.  My father who is also a pilot swears by it but at 70 years old he's stuck in his ways and resists change.

Having an IT background I know that technology changes so I was looking at alternatives and tried the X Plane demo but with that version cutting your joystick out after 15 mins I barely could give it a fair shake because I couldn't even fly between two small airports.

So I found P3D which apparently is based on FSX but upgraded to allow multithreading takes advantage of newer hardware.  To be honest at that point I was sold.  I did find it interesting that Lockheed promotes it more as a training platform than an entertainment product.  Maybe that's to give them more credibility on the simulator side or maybe they don't want a NAICS code for Toy and Game making.  Whatever the case is I decided to buy a license.

I've been doing flights in the Piper because unlock a lot of people I actually learned to fly in one of those (My grandfather was a pilot as well).  I cranked up realism and while I'm not 100% sure yet how it relates to actually flying it is a bit of a challenge.  I made my choice so I'll just go with it and use P3D as a tool to get some muscle memory back, learn the G1000 and have some fun.  I know nothing about the scenery or plane packages yet but I plan to get at least a few more planes, especially the ones I'm interested in purchasing.

Welcome to the v2 sky's :)

We all want and need different things, and I can sympathise with people that must have certain add-ons, to complete their own personal immersion factor.

The ones I need are either working or are imminent. For now, that is enough for me.

To a degree, it's like starting over again. When I had my first simulator, there were no extras to buy and collect, it was simply about learning to fly and learning to navigate.

The v2 world, as expected has some bad weather to deal with, but because it's SUPPORTED and development in on going, I personally don't need to enhance it with a zillion add-ons and a hanger full of airplanes, just because I can.

Put quite simply, for me, it fly's, the immersion of the outside world is, well, immersive. Remember the first time you ever flew in either a small trainer or passenger jet, and you were looking forward to the feeling of taking off and going through your first cloud?

For me FLIGHT still has the best feeling of flying a monitor I've ever experienced, v2 is the next best thing. Both bring back those first memory's of real flight. BUT, I now have the world at my fingertips, AND it's in current development. Furthermore, it's going to get better and better. I can go back to basics and learn all that stuff I had forgotten, it's so much more fun than collecting add-ons I never use. That's me anyway. :)