Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

FTX: Global VECTOR Released

If you want a feature added then the best people to address your request to is Pilots and not Orbx.

Pursuade him it's a good idea to put a configuration tool.

Which is it?!

Having said that, I do think a miscalculation has been made in not giving any form of configuration tool. 

Thank you, I rest my case.  This is a GLARING omission.  Let me ask you a question about caveat emptor:  would you investigate the next car you purchase to make sure there is a steering wheel present?  Yes, an over the top example, but I call BS on this 'we told you so' justification.    I will absolutely be looking for other solutions rather than patronize this sort of attitude by a vendor.  What JV is doing is exploiting people's passion in the context of less than sterling competition.  Let's hope he's listening and becomes responsive.   The customer-oriented response was, 'We will look at demand and make a decision' or something along those lines.  Instead, it was 'Our way or the highway'.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

UTX, GEX, and ST are pretty much dead-end if I'm not mistaken.

I think you are mistsken, a previous post had a link to some news on UTX. I guess they don't make as much noise as ORBX.

Edit: found this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430537-utx-for-p3d-20-is-coming-soon/#entry2891974

They did say some time ago that they will not be including any means of configuring the features. If the buyer isn't going to be diligent in checking out exactly what they are plonking down the cash for, then stuff like this is going to happen.

Well, threads like this are going to happen - disgruntled first-day buyers will warn off potential customers, and ORBX will see their sales go down. I for one never buy products which don't  allow me to customize. But then, I watch a product I'm interested in very closely before committing. This includes visiting as many forums as I can to build up a full picture.

If you buy things based on nothing more than advertisments then I'm sorry to say you are going to be disappointed a lot of the time.

In a small community as hours it is IMO a bad idea for a developer to acquire a reputation for exaggerated (I'm avoiding a stronger term here) advertising.

Just my opinion of course.

But that is why I think threads like this are very important - how would I find out these things if nobody could discuss the issues?

The amount of elevation issues with Vector is almost mind numbing, to be honest.

Their support forum is exploding with reports of errors. Even if they planned it this way ("it's too much work, let the user tell us what's wrong and then we'll fix it"), this doesn't give a good impression, of course. I don't think a lot of people will buy OpenLC the minute it has been released... a lot of people will stay on the fence for that one after this (what I would call) disaster. It's a good thing Standard & Poor's has nothing to say about Orbx triple A status because that one is getting a beating.

Which is it?!

Well you seem to have a pretty major beef with Orbx so you might as well roll with that for now.

JV could quite conceivably ask them to make one, I don't know what Orbx's relationship with Pilots is. Seeing as Pilots were the ones who developed Vector, if anyone is going to make a configurator it will be Pilots.

Thank you, I rest my case.  This is a GLARING omission.

You came to Vector with a preconception that it should have a configurator based on the fact that UTX has one. Orbx never hid the fact that Vector doesn't have a configurator. You saw a gap in the information and filled that with your own preconception.

Again, blaming Orbx for not having a configuration tool when you didn't properly research what you were buying before you handed over your credit card number is really very disingenuous. Orbx never advertised that Vector would have a configurator. JV quite explicitly stated to questions on his forum that it would not have a configurator. Trying to then construe from this that Orbx mislead you is a real stretch.

You're right - the steering wheel analogy is a very bad one. A car won't get very far without a steering wheel. A better analogy would be buying a car, finding it doesn't have air conditioning and then complaining to the dealer that he never told you that it didn't have air conditioning. I mean, your last car had air conditioning, so this one should too, right?

In a small community as hours it is IMO a bad idea for a developer to acquire a reputation for exaggerated (I'm avoiding a stronger term here) advertising.

Just my opinion of course.

But that is why I think threads like this are very important - how would I find out these things if nobody could discuss the issues?

Sascha my friend, I absolutely agree with you 100% Orbx are very good at the marketing, perhaps too good. It's certainly been a cornerstone of their success thus far. I'm sure none of us here buy stuff based on little more than the advertising or marketing. As savvy consumers we learn to read between the lines, ask the right questions and see through the sometimes blatant marketing and product promotion.

Then again, it gets a little tiresome when a product such as vector is released, and those legitimate questions, opinions - and sometimes the truth - is drowned out by those who want to have a pop at Orbx for whatever reason. Unfortunately objectivity and fairness are the first casualties of any thread here discussing a new Orbx product.

There's discussing the issues to genuinely inform and I support that entirely. Then there's "discussing" the issues with an agenda to smear the developer or publisher. That is something I don't support at all because it's ultimately damaging to the hobby and self defeating.

The fact is there are more than a few people here who want to paint JV and Orbx as the bogeyman. It's totally unnecessary and quite frankly ridiculous that so many bear a grudge against someone they've never actually met about a collection of pixels moving about a screen pretending to be flying an aeroplane.

BTW, I absolutely love the work you've done with the FS9 textures. Well done and keep up the good work!

Soooo, what happen to the elevation fixes??? :rolleyes:

I'm not really seeing that many elevation fixes to be honest. Didn't JV advertise all 29k airports fixed or something??? I don't have to fly around Colorado much before I see elevated runways all over the place. Posting pictures of every elevated airport for Orbx too tedious and time consuming, they should be paying me for the beta testing. The amount of elevation issues with Vector is almost mind numbing, to be honest. Even KDEN is elevated?!? Really! Wow...simply wow.

Aspen (KASE)

zrQKk.jpg

Yeah, that's unacceptable. Are you using a mesh (FS Global, etc.)? Just wandering if the mesh would fix this, or this is simply Vector being Vector.

I think you are mistsken, a previous post had a link to some news on UTX. I guess they don't make as much noise as ORBX.

Edit: found this thread http://forum.avsim.n...n/#entry2891974

Hi, Sascha,

I appreciate that you pointed that out.  For everyone with UTX, I hope it works out!  I will probably leave UTX behind because I can't invest in two products that do the same thing, and with the investment, I'm now at Vr with Orbx.

If you have UTX regions installed where you fly with FSX, there doesn't seem to be any real point in buying FTXGV.

Thanks for the insights - I was hoping that FTXGV would bring some better/newer resolution of vector data to the party, but from what I'm reading, if you have UTX, you have just about FTXGV. (*in covered areas). Since I don't really fly outside of the UTX covered areas, I'm really not compelled to get it for global coverage.

Here ya go Greg, should answer your question:

Nice - thanks for the shots!

-Greg

...all 29k airports fixed or something???

There's 24,490 airports in FSX, just in case anyone is curious...

Whether they all get "fixed"? Maybe... B)

Yeah, that's unacceptable. Are you using a mesh (FS Global, etc.)? Just wandering if the mesh would fix this, or this is simply Vector being Vector.

I am using FS Global Ultimate with Vector!!! I am experimenting with FS Global Flattening Meshes to help alleviate this problem, but ah...the whole point of me buying Vector was to eliminate this issue globally.

@meshman...thanks for the correction, I know JV advertised fixing 20K+ airport elevations. I'm not seeing this to be the case in all honesty.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

A better analogy would be buying a car, finding it doesn't have air conditioning and then complaining to the dealer that he never told you that it didn't have air conditioning. I mean, your last car had air conditioning, so this one should too, right?

Quit making excuses for this--you nailed it will with your comment, 'Having said that, I do think a miscalculation has been made in not giving any form of configuration tool. '  The reason this is a glaring omission is because visuals & performance matter to virtually all customers, and no configuration option affects this greatly.  This is why you frame this as a 'miscalculation'.   My sentiment on this has to do w/ JV's 'our way or the highway' form of 'customer support.'  Do us all, yourself included, a favor and convey your real thoughts that this is a miscalculation to JV, which is what I have respectfully done. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Since I don't really fly outside of the UTX covered areas, I'm really not compelled to get it for global coverage.

Right now UTX is the more mature and fully featured product. If you only ever fly in North America or Western Europe then UTX is the better option. If you want to fly outside of the UTX coverage then Vector becomes an option.

What's all the fuss about uninstaller? Just delete both vector folders in ORBX folder and remove entries from scenery library. Voilla!

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Considering this is Orbx we are talking about, are you really, really, really 100% sure that's all there is to uninstall this?

Although like a fool I rushed straight out to get it, I have been too scared to install it. Sorry, but the sight of those awful fs98 road textures on top of FTX Global brings global down a notch or two and if there is no way to configure what appears (the standard already established by UTX), then I have to accept that in this case, I may have made a bad purchase. 

At the end of the day (and especially when considering my virgin like P3Dv2) - I have seen Orbx take a little nibble at her innocence with those awful Global lights and I would hate to see my little baby tempted further, just because I can't wait for those superb Orbx regions to be brought up to speed for P3D.

Quit making excuses for this

I'm not making excuses for anything. I do believe Vector should have come with a configurator.

I don't believe that it's Orbx's fault that you purchased Vector under the mistaken presumption that it had a configurator.