Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcomm

What were your longest / long haul flights in X-Plane 10?

With the FF 777, the SGS 748, Peter's A380, and even the FF 757, some "longer" routes can be flown in X-Plane 10.

I wonder what were your longest flights, between which airports, using what aircraft, using or not live ATC, planned with? were...

LHR - LAX A380, no time compression because it does'nt work.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

LHR - LAX A380, no time compression because it does'nt work.

Whow!  How many hours? What weather were you using ( NOAA? ) Ralf?

Well, it wasn't XP10, but my longest flight was YSSY-EGLL in FS9 in the PSS 777.  No time compression.  Stayed awake for the entire trip.  

A week later, I made the return trip.  It was actually "fun" doing both trips.  Did them on VATSIM and made a few friends along the way.

Montenegro (LYPG) to Fiji (NFFN).  FF 777.

9000 miles, 20+ hours. 

This is part of my "fly to every country by approximate order of population size" project.

Due to runway length at Montenegro, I had to throw some passengers off the plane.

Started flight at 21:00hrs UTC.  Faced 90 knot headwinds at start.  Went to bed, and awoke somewhere over siberia at 07:00 UTC with 45knot tail wind.  Set the Pause T/D button, and then drove to work.  Returned from work at 17:00 UTC and landed the plane.

I could really do with finding some winds aloft charts so I can plan my legs better.

Well, it wasn't XP10, but my longest flight was YSSY-EGLL in FS9 in the PSS 777.  No time compression.  Stayed awake for the entire trip.  

A week later, I made the return trip.  It was actually "fun" doing both trips.  Did them on VATSIM and made a few friends along the way.

Xiiii!  I loved that 777!!!!  Still have the Manual ;-)

Will LES consider, say, an MD-80, Bae-146, Bae ATP, C130, P-3 Orion ???? Any of these would be great to have!!!

Whow! How many hours? What weather were you using ( NOAA? ) Ralf?

Checked my log book, 10.9 hours, NOAA not used.

OT: One of my best flights was PS1 from FRA to IAD real time with a good friend. Crew catering from the microwave oven. Chicken or pasta?

Xiiii!  I loved that 777!!!!  Still have the Manual ;-)

Will LES consider, say, an MD-80, Bae-146, Bae ATP, C130, P-3 Orion ???? Any of these would be great to have!!!

That 777 is definitely in my top 5 add ons.  I have fond memories of PSS.  Their 744 was one of my first add ons for FS2000.  

All the aircraft you mentioned were tentatively considered, but not easy to get information for.  Especially the BAe 146.  We have a very firm roadmap of aircraft planned out for the next couple of years.  Going to be fun.

In X-Plane, the longest flight I did, I think, was actually in the  a Cessna 152 when I flew from Western Germany to Poland using photo scenery, OSM and Mesh v2. No autopilot, and using only a VFR chart, it was also one of the most involved and scenic flights I did. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but it was around 4 hours. That was my absolute limit and I don't think I could or would want to do anything longer.

After sitting on real long-haul flights, e.g. from London to Tokyo, around 13 hours, and even 3.5 hour short-haul flights from from Warsaw to Spain, I don't know how people could actually sit in front of their computers for that long. I'd go insane :D. Leaving it on autopilot all night is pointless and you might as well fast forward the entire flight from TOC to beginning of the TOD.

Tony

It wasn't hard.  I got myself a couple of good books and paid attention to the important parts of the flight (When ATC were calling).  Other than that, I managed to start and finish 2 good books during both flights.

Leadership by Rudy Guiliani and Still Me by Christopher Reeve.

If I sat there doing nothing but flying, I would definitely go nuts.  

It wasn't hard.  I got myself a couple of good books and paid attention to the important parts of the flight (When ATC were calling).

Ah well that's different, you were doing something else whilst all this was happening, and the VATSIM part would have been interesting. In my case, if I walked away from the computer  to make a cup of tea and came back, the plane would drift of course, or some weather or wind would change, etc. Pausing to going to the loo or make a drink was important here. But this kept it interesting for the most part, but don't think I'd do it again for so long or without autopilot.

I sometimes read the PMDG forums, and people simply leave long hauls unattended all night just to rake up the numbers for their virtual airline. I believe most virtual airlines don't allow time compression or pausing, which is why I got bored of them. I was once a member of UK Aero, which mainly used Airbuses and Boeings. I generally restricted my flights to 2 hours to keep it interesting, but noticed others would pick the longest flight possible, e.g. San Francisco to London and then simply leave the computer unattended on autopilot for the entire trip

I am about to try a long haul with the 777. Have done exactly the same flight in the PMDG 777 in FSX, but I used time compressikn :-)

I used FSBUILD for the route: Maputo (FQMA)  - Lisboa (LPPT) - not really a long long haul :-)

FF777 - Delta Airlines 777-200LR from SYD to LAX in 14 hours.  Flew it real time and got my FMC legs from a realworld flight plan pulled from flightaware.com

I went to bed during most of the cruise phase.

What I love about XP10 is that you actually have to maneuver around major storms. I learned this recreating a 777 flight form MIA to GRU.  The Caribbean region had lots of storms that night, so my airplane got knocked out of the sky for flying through a thunderstorm.

About 8 hours, from Phuket to Adelaide, as part of my world tour:

http://fly-xplane.blogspot.de/2013/07/6-phuket-vtsp-to-adelaide-ypad.html

I did this flight during a night, so I was sleeping 3 hours inbetween, then got up and landed. It was a bit exhausting, and after that flight, I did not continue the world tour so far ... :(

About 8 hours, from Phuket to Adelaide, as part of my world tour:

Whow! Was that a 190 LR?  8 hrs? Whow!

"Only" 5 hours, back in my XP9 times with the MU2 from EDDN (Nuremberg) to LCLK (Larnaca, Cyprus) - without time compression, without autopilot, without sleeping in between, etc..

And although there were no buildings at the airport :P in LCLK, it was a very satisfactory flight, as I did it myself all the time and not the autopilot ...

Should I try to simulate the record flight by Klaus Ohlmann in a glider in the Andes (3008 km, 15 hrs)? No ... I don't think so :lol:.

Should I try to simulate the record flight by Klaus Ohlmann in a glider in the Andes (3008 km, 15 hrs)? No ... I don't think so :lol:.

That's exactly what I would like to challenge you to do, online, one of these days :-)

A speed 750 km triangle!!!!

Do you have Condorsoaring? Silent Wings?

That's exactly what I would like to challenge you to do, online, one of these days :-)

Do you have the Metar of February 3, 2003 (date of the record flight) at hand? :lol:

Do you have Condorsoaring? Silent Wings?

Condorsoaring. But I didn't use it since 3 (or even more) years ...

Do you have the Metar of February 3, 2003 (date of the record flight) at hand? :lol:

Condorsoaring. But I didn't use it since 3 (or even more) years ...

Nope, but I could try to get the various charts for that date :-)

Status: ratified - current record Region: World Class: D (Gliding) Sub-Class: DO (Open Class Gliders) Category: General Group: Not applicable Type of record: Free distance using up to 3 turn points Performance: 3 009 km Date: 2003-01-21 Course/Location: Chapelco, Airport of San Martin de los Andes (Argentina) Claimant Klaus Ohlmann (GER) Glider: Schempp-Hirth Nimbus 4 DM   (DKAHG)

Not a glider, but almost as beautiful as one :-)

I m getting ready for a long haul, LPPT - KLAX, on my new SSG 747-8 :-)

This freeware LPPT is simply AMAZING!

Weather looking pretty much like out of the window of my office at LPPT - courtesy of Sky Maxx Pro v1.2

post-257741-0-87139600-1388224035.jpg
post-257741-0-10478900-1388224049.jpg
post-257741-0-55644900-1388224066.jpg

Weather looking pretty much like out of the window of my office at LPPT - courtesy of Sky Maxx Pro v1.2

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif SSG_B748-I_2.JPG

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif SSG_B748-I_1.JPG

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif SSG_B748-I_3.JPG

Oh, you've purchased the SSG 747? What do you think about it? Is it worth getting? I must say that it has grown on me a bit.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy. Every. Tubeliner. I. See.. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My Longest Flight  was from  LTBA-KJFK in FSX with 737, 2-3 years ago (tweaked to 777 Stats (Range and Fuel Consumption and Speed) since there were no good & ez to install 777 present for FSX).

It was the first stage of my World Tour Project in which i flew hundreds of airports around the world. Rules were simple,
- Fly every location in a continent before proceeding another. (even flew to Falkland Islands :D )

- Check every country for popular airports, if more than one fly both. Ex :  From Venezuela to Colombia then return to Venezuela etc.

- Fly more than 1 point in huge countries. Like (New York, Miami, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Seatle and 1-2 more in USA)

- Always use real time, since i am from Turkey most of the flight in America continent was day instead of night :D

- Shortest Flight must be 1 hour.

So i started, from LTBA to KJFK  11 hours 40 minutes total flight time, from gate to gate. It was a sunny warm sunday. :D   world tour ended after 2.5 3 years time. Those were amateur flight siminnig times since i was using default 737 in FSX, now in the near future i am coming for X-plane for my next sim. restart my sim education and learn better then another world tour :D  with real 777. 

First, you need to provide some feedback on the 748 as that cockpit pic is the best I've seen it look, I'm tempted now as I love the Queen, but leaning toward filling out my hangar with an Airbus..

KORD to PANC, using flight factor 757 and route planned using VroutePremium and fuel planner.com. ATC was provided by the default, yes I actually wanted to use the default. I can't fly a tubeliner without some kind of atc.