Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yuji Y

Nvidia new driver 332.21...any difference?

I am downloading the new nvidia driver released today. 332.21.

Does it possibly do anything better for P3Dv2? I do not have much hope though...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I didn't see any real differences with the new driver.

No change here, not that I expected there to be. The only thing I would like from a driver release is to get the AA I can with FSX but that might not be possible.

Now, there is a person claiming its a huge improvement. So, what is it? :) ( this always happens on new driver releases)

Hi,

I've seen a big improvement in P3Dv2, so much so that I'm not touching P3Dv2 until this boost stops. I just hope that never happens 8-)

Link to my screenshot (70fps) @ 5760x1200: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/431518-latest-nvidia-drivers-wow-i-like-this/#entry2901039

Same here. I can now fly UK2000 EGLL Extreme and it not go below 20fps using a certain 737. Getting much higher frame rates in other, smaller aircraft.

Oh my, big shock: installed this new drivers and got stutters! Back to the previous one here!!!

Hi Jeroen,

Wow, sorry your not seeing any benefit. I remember updating driver after drive and reading other peoples posts about having good results, I always kept asking when is it going to happen to me. Well, it finally happened. Sorry your not seeing the same results.

LOL Maybe the next one will be my lucky driver. ^_^

I also never have seen a real benefit from using new drivers. I am using the previous official driver only because I reinstalled my OS a short while ago and I thought P3D wouldn't mind a new one. It didn't, so it seems. So why this new ones suddenly gives me stutters... it's a mystery to me. ^_^

What should FPS (frames per second) be set to, like a value or Unlimited:

In Nvidia inspector = ?

In the Sim = ?

What should FPS (frames per second) be set to, like a value or Unlimited:

In Nvidia inspector = ?

In the Sim = ?

I seem to be getting better results having it locked, but I have it locked to something slightly higher than a round number (as suggested by LM, in order to minimise stuttering). I usually use 32 or 33. Oddly I got better results in FSX on unlimited, but as we know, they are different beasts. I have nothing locked in Inspector with regards to frame rate. 

There are so many variables when setting up FSX/P3D2 that there is little wonder that we all have varying success with drivers etc. Sometimes I think it just comes down to pot luck!

I installed the new driver on Wednesday night, I definitely saw a substantial fps improvement in clear weather. But then I activated Opus/real weather, which in Vancouver was just awful at the time. Opus depicted the weather brilliantly, but my FPS dropped to 8-12 fps which was as depressing as the weather.

My system is no slouch

I980X OC/4.3ghz

Asus Rampage Extreme iii

6gig DDR-3 2000 triple channel ram

EVGA gtx780

I don't think I ever saw a frame rate increase in FSX from a driver, but as FSX is so CPU bound its not likely a driver will have much impact, unless something is very wrong. Maybe as P3Dv2x is more GPU orientated, there is a chance drivers may help. There is also more chance nVidia and AMD will also include some optimisations (esp. with newer cards) in future builds, as P3D is a living platform, unlike FSX.

Its always going to be marginal, as P3D is still very much CPU led... real improvements are only going to come from better hardware.

Unless a feature gets broken (AA or AF or something) any difference people claim in FSX or P3D or whatever from a driver update is probably placebo - especially in a CPU limited app like FSX. (P3Dv2 may see some slight improvement if there's an across the board change in DX11 optimization or something like that, but that would be rare and they'd certainly play it up in the release notes) Nvidia lists exactly what they improved in the release notes for each driver release and they're looking mainly at the big mass market stuff like Battlefield 4 or whatever, not a 7+ year old niche flight sim. It's been many many years since they optimized anything specifically for FSX.

Hi Ryan,

Well, then I'm at a loss... I've gone from 30 to 70 fps and I've triple checked all my settings. This includes P3Dv2 as well as my Nvidia settings. Nor did I make any changes to my overclock, the system/setup is the same as it was prior to the installation of the new drivers.

I don't get it, but I'll take it.

Hi Ryan,

Well, then I'm at a loss... I've gone from 30 to 70 fps and I've triple checked all my settings. This includes P3Dv2 as well as my Nvidia settings. Nor did I make any changes to my overclock, the system/setup is the same as it was prior to the installation of the new drivers.

I don't get it, but I'll take it.

I think the max I've ever seen Nvidia advertise is around a 20% improvement or something like that immediately after a big new game comes out and they do their game-specific optimizing. 30 to 70 is 233% - I really don't think that can be due to a driver update, especially one where the application in question isn't even mentioned in the release notes and others don't see the same difference.

I've also found that using 'nVidia Inspector' to try and use/force some of the same settings that worked in FSX can result in severely impaired performance and visuals in P3Dv2.. esp. using some compatibility settings, and it maybe best avoided for now – or at least used with caution. So, it is also possible that changing drivers has returned nVidia settings to default, and therefore also restores performance, that may have degraded unnoticed by using some driver features, forced in/by nV Inspector.

Personally I found nV Inspector had affected the water in P3Dv2 causing loss of performance, stutters, and visual anomalies. This was rectified by restoring the driver defaults.

As usual YMMV.

LOL Maybe the next one will be my lucky driver. ^_^

I also never have seen a real benefit from using new drivers. I am using the previous official driver only because I reinstalled my OS a short while ago and I thought P3D wouldn't mind a new one. It didn't, so it seems. So why this new ones suddenly gives me stutters... it's a mystery to me. ^_^

Did you do a clean install? Any edited profiles are deleted. I always do a clean install, but I export the FSX and P3d 3D profiles first and then import them when the new driver is installed. Of course, if you are using the default profiles for FSX and P3d, it doesn't matter.

Use a 'Custom/Advanced' install [rather than Express/recommended], during set-up, that lets you select the components to install, and also use a tick box to 'Clean Install'... this is always the best way to install new drivers, as they will add components you don't need, like 3D Vision, HD Sound and more. Personally I only add the 'Graphics Driver' and nothing more.

How did you do a clean install?

Use a 'Custom/Advanced' install [rather than Express/recommended], during set-up, that lets you select the components to install, and also use a tick box to 'Clean Install'... this is always the best way to install new drivers, as they will add components you don't need, like 3D Vision, HD Sound and more. Personally I only add the 'Graphics Driver' and nothing more.

Thanks for the procedure ... I will try it next time.

Did a complete clean install with 332.21, stutters in PD3v2, FSX fluid. Rolled back to 331.93, still stutters in PD3v2, re-installed 332.21. Appears I may have a PD3v2 config file issue - seems all my changes rolled back to original after PD3v2 crash. Guess I have a lot to learn about this PD3v2 sim. Very happy some have had excellent results!

It's been many many years since they optimized anything specifically for FSX.

Release 331 Graphics Drivers for Windows - Version 332.21 RN-W33221-01v01

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 332.21

[Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2004]: Panels and indicators flicker randomly. [928663]

Maybe they will come up with something for FSX, but when, it's hard to say....    :lol:

Yup, graphics driver updates are much more important for P3D than FSX. I would recommend also trying the Quatro drivers, which I use. They DO have an image impact, even though some would deny it, or write it off as some "placebo" effect. For years I've been testing them against the Geforce drivers, and always fall back to them. They simply are crisper, and the colours are slightly more vivid. (There is a reason why NVidia split their drivers between "Geforce" performance and "Quatro/Tesla" professional drivers). Test them for yourself and see. Quatros are renowned for their stableness.

The only thing is one must change the driver config file before it will install. If anyone would be interested, I should be able to attach the file here, but I cannot see an "attach" function when I reply to this post?

Lastly, there is a simple utility (which I would've attached here also) to enable full RGB with NVidia drivers when running your monitor and card connected with a HDMI cable. For some reason full colours are not enabled by default when using a HDMI connection with NVidia (AMD does not have this "problem"). This utility enables it through a restart, and it makes a helluva difference.