Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Whats the lowest frame-rate you could live with?

My fps counter sometimes reads between 400-500 fps and it's actually craaaaaawling - no idea what that bug is.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I came back from a 2 month contract abroad a little while back, fired up the sim on the PC I had always used to run FS9 silky smooth. 

The sim was still running at high FPS, even unlocked the counter and it displayed +100 on the ground with everything maxed but stutters like crazy...

Anyway, after a week of going crazy it turned out the gel on the CPU's heatsink had gone bad, put new paste on and everything was back to normal :)

Rob Prest

I kind of think of it all differently. Right now, as I explore X-Plane, I think of myself as having a Framerate "budget".

Every additional effect I turn on eats from that budget, reducing the amount I have available to spend on other things. Having the FPS counter on at this point allows me to see exactly how much I am spending on any one item. As Desaix's comment about 18 looking like 30 showed, the naked eye can be very inaccurate in telling you whats really happening.

So!

Say I have acceptable, even very acceptable frames. Am I spending my budget wisely? Not necessarily. In X-plane, I found that auto traffic was gulping up to 10 frames per second (Apparently runs on the CPU rather than GPU) and I could definitely live with less of it as it was a less important feature to me. Now, I have ten frames to spend on something important.

Skymaxx Pro's cloud view distance gets expanded to maximum, and more of its features get activated. Am I done? No! The fps counter tells me that I can save an additional 8 Frames by turning water to "low" with very little visual difference. I can get back yet another 10 frames by shifting view distance from extreme to high, again for a negligible visual difference.

Since my frames were already acceptable, I now have 18 additional frames to play with. AA goes up a notch or two. (AA is nearly free in non-HDR mode on my card, with only a few frames difference from 8x to 16x)

Will I need those frames should I fly in a denser area? No, I am already flying over Manhattan New York. No place else in the game is likely to tax my system much more than that, and I already know that If I turn tree density down just one notch from "extreme" I have an additional 10 frames in reserve. And, right now, average frames are still high thirty's in the densest areas and much higher elsewhere.... (Except New York, where I accept about 25)

Hmmmmm....... lets turn on cloud reflections........  :lol: 

Its a game of give and take at this point, and only possible to accurately judge with the FPS counter ON for now.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

but for a regular flight, all red text is abolished.

Is there a way to remove the red 'BRAKES' and 'PARKING BRAKES' that appear in the bottom left corner of the screen? If so, could you tell me how to do that, that'd be great! :)

______

I personally rarely use the FPS counter. I never really worry about what my frame rates are, even if it is starting to jump around. At 10 FPS, my FSX still looks quite smooth. I fly on FSX to "learn" more about flying (PMDG aircraft) and to have some fun - I fly because the only thing on my mind is to get to my goal of an airliner pilot. I won't allow FPS to ruin my time (obviously I envy you guys with 40+ FPS :P )

Is there a way to remove the red 'BRAKES' and 'PARKING BRAKES' that appear in the bottom left corner of the screen? If so, could you tell me how to do that, that'd be great! :)

Under the Display Section of your .cfg

InfoBrakesEnable=False
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False
InfoPauseEnable=False
InfoSlewEnable=False
InfoStallEnable=False
InfoOverspeedEnable=False

Note: These are already present, just change the values to False.

Aamir Thacker

To be honest...when flying in FSX stop using Shift-Z and that will eliminate that ridiculous obsession. As long as no stutters and it is performing good enough for you without looking at the numbers then you will lose less hair in your life.

When landing in some places it will bother you without hitting Shift-Z and that is an indication....other then that happy trails

Cheers

Personally, I do use Shift-Z... but just the Navigational Info part. As I mentioned earlier, even the 'simpler' freeware add-on airports and things like WOAI are off limits for me due to the limitations of my rig. It's not a problem, though; the experience works well enough for me.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I would really love to see or hear about how a Titan handles X-Plane..........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I just thought of something...

Windowed or Full Screen?

Don't hurt me. Please... don't hurt me.

Alan  Hobbes_cartoon-emoticon-0011.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Who the heck plays windowed?

Devons rig

Who the heck plays windowed?

I do.  If I get a CTD, I want to be able to read the dialog.

Set up a desktop theme with a thin dark blue title bar, make the font small but large enough that you can still click on the minimize/max/close buttons.  No screen saver, just in case.

You probably won't notice the difference.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

And whats wrong flying in window mode anyway

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If you hate the Windows taskbar popping in, but you need to use Windowed mode, you should download the mod that makes Windowed mode look like Fullscreen. It's brilliant. 

Here. It's the last one down.

Aamir Thacker

I just refuse to buy into the FRC (Frame Rate Chaser's) bulls##t. If it's smooth and fluid, the sim is tweaked to its potential.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I switch between windowed and full screen during a flight. While at the gate I use windowed so I can just check that my charts are accurate for my flight and some final route checks on Google Earth.

However, when in flight it is full screen all the way to my destination (use my iPod for the internet: Normal and abnormal procedures lists etc). I actually used to use windowed all the time because my old computer's graphics card was not that great and would take 2-5 minutes to load up a full-screen game (this included games like Rome: Total War and Garry's Mod).