Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

In time guys (and girls! In time!

The thing is, I don`t think that Outerra will be ever "finished" like FSX has. It will always keep evolving.

And somewhere along that development path, someone will step in and say "Ok, this engine now has what we need!"

And then a Flight Sim will be made!

And then I woke up, and realised that I can`t predict the future!... <_<

But yeah, something along these lines! ^ :rolleyes:

Using Outera with Orbiter?

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2705.0

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

:mellow: Beyond me but good to see that sort of conversation going on. Anything that might integrate with or further the project has got to be a good thing. Hope it works out.

The (visual) advantage of starting with the world and then adding the sim, as opposed to the other way around........

http://youtu.be/YEwwdM91xyM

• Upvote 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So beautiful!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The (visual) advantage of starting with the world and then adding the sim, as opposed to the other way around........

Not if you really want a flight simulator, especially as you say:

It makes me smile and wonder about Outerra, where essentially these two guys (Seaton and Crane?) are working on an immense project essentially alone it seems....

Here's hoping they get it done before we are all getting measured by the undertaker!..

I thought the developers were Branislav Kemeň and Ladislav Hrabčák

I'm not sure what you're getting at, with the first point. As for Seaton and Crane they are the developers of the Starship Skylark, in a ( really old ) science fiction novel. You missed the allegory. :)

Devons rig

The disadvantage of Outerra starting with the world may mean that the sim is that this may never be started. It is after all a rendering engine, not a flight simulator.

I think your analogy is truer than you realised - :

It makes me smile and wonder about Outerra, where essentially these two guys (Kemeň and Hrabčák) are working on an immense project essentially alone it seems....

Here's hoping Outerra get it done before we are all getting measured by the undertaker!..

And I missed your other telling quote:

n a book, it may take a week from initial concept to final liftoff of our interstellar speedster, but in real life.......... Yeah, they probably need some help (and lots of it) to bring their project to market in anything short of a geologic time frame.

When will Outerra the  flight simulator be finished -  we get measured by the undertaker or in a geologic time frame?

Don`t be so pessimistic! Whats so different between Outerra and Xplane or FSX?

Xplane started small, just like Outerra, and for FSX, Microsoft couldn`t catch up to the PC technology of the time  <_< (How ironic)

Don`t be so pessimistic! Whats so different between Outerra and Xplane or FSX?

Be realistic! X-Plane, FSX, and P3D are well-established flight simulators. Outerra is no more than a rendering engine - that's the difference.

Outerra is no more than a rendering engine - that's the difference.

For now.

Thats what I`m trying to say.

Be realistic! X-Plane, FSX, and P3D are well-established flight simulators. Outerra is no more than a rendering engine - that's the difference.

So I would say that since there are other choices, we can enjoy those while Outerra develops, and do what we can to help that along, even if it takes a while.

We got something else to do? I'll probably be around for the next 40 years with any kind of luck.  :P

As for being a rendering engine, its a rendering engine with JSBSIM and BULLET support as well as next generation graphics and architecture. We could do a lot worse as a base, or are we intending to keep propping up more than a decade old code forever?  :huh:

Really: Do we have some other engine in the wings that is this fast, good looking, and can probably do everything from Flightsims to racing, to boating to God-knows-what-else with equal facility?

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

True, and then again, not only, IMO....

Outerra allows for the use of an external FDM, just like JSBsim which is actually used for the default airplanes and helicopter. JSBsim is on pair with MSFS and X-Plane flight dynamics models.

If Outerra further starts including weather modeling, then we will have a very good base for dvelopment of a flight simulation platform.

What I find astounding is how fluid it can be, even on not top machines, like mine!

It's on my monthly poll for sure :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So I would say since there are other choices, we can enjoy those while Outerra develops,...

We are going to have plenty of time for the  other choices because there is no real sign of Outerra becoming a true flight simulator.

What staff, resources, and funding  does it have to develop a simulator? Perhaps you could let us know, because without that it's not going anywhere?,

We are going to have plenty of time for the  other choices because there is no real sign of Outerra becoming a true flight simulator.

What staff, resources, and funding  does it have to develop a simulator? Perhaps you could let us know, because without that it's not going anywhere?,

There is only now and forever one model for creating a simulator or game? You might want to talk to the people at Star-citizen about that.......

Outerra also just added people I believe specifically to work on other things like object import, UI and etc.

• Upvote 1

Devons rig