Sign in to follow this  
ire

Worst Freeware Designed FS9/2004 Airports

Hi,

Read everyone's postings on the best Freeware Airports for FS9/FS2004 and checked out each link.

Got to say those links provide some really good designed airports and have downloaded most of them.

I came across the avsimrus website many years ago when looking for Russian airports to add on the my flight simulator and without the aid of a picture to give a clue to what the designed airport looked like I downloaded it and added it to my FS. 'Wow was my thoughts when I opened my FS to that airport. Even with Active Sky downloaded weather (winter) it looked great.

Here's my question and perhaps added as a new topic: - Has any flight-simmer added an airport to their Flight Simulator that looks like; well, not what they thought it would be?

I came across Auckland, New Zealand (FS9/2004) that wasn't what I expected it to be for design and construction of an international airport.

On the other end of the scale Wellington, New Zealand (FS9/2004) was up with the best airports as well as Vista Australis (FS9/2004) that I've loaded into my Flight Simulator!

If there are other airports that anyone cares to name perhaps there are persons or groups that could enhance the Flight simulator (FS9/2004) with their renditions of those airports for others to enjoy.

Regards, ire.

Here's a tip - topics involving the word "worst" in the title tend not to last long - ESPECIALLY when the word "freeware" is also involved. Just a little forum etiquette for you future FS hobby success.

I have indeed seen some rather less-well-done airports for FS9, but I tend to either revamp them and make them good or simply delete them. These days I install trusted stuff first - and I'm in the middle of a lengthy reinstall. It's been quite some time since I've installed anything I wasn't already familiar with...

OK I was not going to respond to this thread because the title as mentioned above does not deserve support.

However since EM has opened it, I would like to close it as follows, since you picked my back yard!

NZAA has never been done for FS2004. What you probably found are the sterling efforts of some talented folk, in shoehorning various FS2002 bits into something that can - just - be used in FS9.

It's a sore point, I would've loved to see Auckland but it ain't gonna happen.

As pointed out, dissing freeware is just Bad Form, people aren't actually trying to appease you although many seem to think this is the case.

They are sharing, and you are just plain lucky they do.

Look forward to some constructive contributions from you in the future, happy simming!

There are many good programs you can download from the link below, which most "Freeware" developers use to spruce up the airports you particularly don't care for.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Worst is bashing blunty and freeware goes where payware airports are not profitable to make. Maybe they spent 200 hours making thier first airport and with experience and next project look better with time become proficient. Gotta start somewhere creating things. Post started like end discouraging future modders spend hours on a simple projects. Quality improves with experience . Post bashing modders regradless of skill are horrible to the hobby

Love when people share freeware because most times it spruces up dull airports

One of the joys of Freeware is that the Authors are helping enhance our FS World, without a care about Profits, Marketing and a Balance Sheet. They are creating items purely for the sake of seeing something familiar, whether it be an airplane, Airport or small grass strip.

Freeware designers are truly the lifeblood of FS; their little additions go a long way to help 'fill up' our little FS World!

Alan  Hobbes_2.gif 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

So as to not raise the ire of all or any free ware scenery contributers Ire should not have asked the question he did.

However, to offer at least an acceptable answer to the question. Here you are Ire;

The worst free ware airports I have ever seen are by some guy named MeBull. They are so bad he has never had the nerve to upload them anywhere ( he doesn't even like them ), thereby sparing the FS community the task of removing them from their HD and their memory, pun intended. Tongue out of cheek.

If it is free, it is from the goodness and generosity of whomever took the time and effort to create it and should be considered a gift that is not to be complained about or criticized. If you like it keep it and be grateful. If you don't like it remove it and be grateful for someones effort.

Best regards to all,

Mel

a.k.a. MeBull.

Hi scenery fans.

Here in Canada, airports are less "equiped", and it is normal,

because FS is made in USA.  So it is USA first.

And even if it is USA first, the FSs, in all the years, have made

very nice airports all around the world !!

And I also love the famous "benchmarks/landscapes" like

the Atomium, or pyramids. . .etc. . .

Because I fly in real GA planes from CYHU, I did the airport, for FS8 and FS9.

Sooooo, if any wants to see it, tell me what you think.

COPY-PASTE all the lines, end to end, for it to work, and in:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=*morissette*&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1&Go=Change+View

see my CYHU airport:

[ CYHU Airport Buildings ]

and some planes to add ambiance:

[ CYHU Airport's Ambiance ]

I lived in Drummondville, so I did the airport, and the "hydraulic dams"? or "hydraulic electric dams"? in the river. . .

I also did a basic "freedom tower" at the WTC, and other stuff. . .

Blue skies.

I tend to agree with the sentiments posted here thus far.  I'm not a fan of knocking people who have taken the time to build something and share it with the community for free.  As was mentioned earlier, there are a number of tools available for anyone to improve scenery that they find not up to their own standards.  The "Best of" series pinned in the forum is meant to highlight the best of the best, and I think that's the most appropriate way to both recognize the talent we have here, as well as to motivate others to learn and to share their creations.  I'm all about emphasizing the positive, as I think we all deal with enough negative in the world already.  I really don't see a need to hunt for it in our hobby too. 

With that said, in the interest of fostering free and open discussion in the forum, I'm going to leave this thread open to comment, for now.  But it's on a short leash, so keep it civil.  And if you feel a need to post something negative, I expect that you will explain why you feel the way you do, and what can be done to make it better.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Because I added a dislike to your original post, I feel it only fair to say why, but I think all the posts above this have just about summed it up a little more politely than I would have originally replied.

With that said, in the interest of fostering free and open discussion in the forum, I'm going to leave this thread open to comment, for now.

Cheers,

Jeff.

.....on the bright side ......I think we have a nominee for the "2014 Award for Worst Topic Submitted to FS9/FS2004 Forum" ....and so soon after the 1st of the year, too!

gw

.....on the bright side ......I think we have a nominee for the "2014 Award for Worst Topic Submitted to FS9/FS2004 Forum" ....and so soon after the 1st of the year, too!

You have burst my bubble GW. Every time I think I have found some award that I have any chance what ever of winning some person deftly shows the skill and talent I seem to lack and steals my chance for glory and a place in the lofty ranks of flight simulator super achievers from me. This one really hurts, I thought I had it nailed. I had been working in secret for months on a (un)worthy topic, . . . . all for naught.

Anybody got a tissue? A hug?

Seriously, the people that have created any free stuff for any simulator version starting way back are the reason we have the high quality pay ware that we do. Without the interest in the free ware to improve the quality of our simulators the pay ware companies and individuals would have had no incentive to join in. The desire for quality free ware showed there was a market for the pay ware.

Best regards,

Mel

Every time I think I have found some award that I have any chance what ever of winning some person deftly shows the skill and talent I seem to lack and steals my chance for glory and a place in the lofty ranks of flight simulator super achievers from me. This one really hurts, I thought I had it nailed. I had been working in secret for months on a (un)worthy topic, . . . . all for naught.

Best regards,

Mel

Be not distraught, Mr. Bull .....err Mr. Mel .....well, you know who you are ....

We can always take reservations for the 2015 award!  I would hate to see someone's hopes for glory dashed after so much effort had been put into achieving his goal.

Glenn Willmot

aka gwillmot

aka gw

aka Fool on the Hill

Well, I'm glad all you folks expressed your dismay at this "topic" better and faster than me.  Good grief.

Ron

Hi again,

Let's see if I've got all the names that have posted a reply above this one to what I now

think; CORRECTION, now believe to be a 'LOUSY' question: - ematheson. wingZ. Daveo. gizmosellsbunnys. ViperPilot. mebull. C-JEAN. Jeff H. ANZ121. gwillmot. alderson57.

I was not trying to say that designers weren't up to scratch in any way as I interpreted the responses to be; so too each and everyone of you, and any other scenery designers that read this reply post I

humbly apologise for the question and its contents within!

To gwillmot, I accept your nomination with humility and remorse, and will gladly accept the award if I win.

At least then I can say that I've won a award, but for all the wrong reasons; be it for the 'Worst

Question Posted or wooden spoon 'Foot in the Mouth' award!

Regards, ire.