Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper

Seriously....

How do you all keep up with all the payware/freeware add ons that you have acquired?

In particular airports, do you write down all the codes for every airport because that's what i'm thinking i need to do to really enjoy what i have.

Sure i remember the main hubs Heathrow EGLL, Ft Lauderdale KFLL, Phoenix KPHX etc it's the small airports i'm having issues remembering.....any hints?

Guest Q_flyer

Yep, I typed them all up into a Word Doc, listing them my ICAO code, Name, and Developer.

It sits on the Desktop and if I need inspiration I just open it and take a look. :smile:

Better yet, if you have a second pc or laptop (Big memory Hog) try pinning them on Google Earth.

Waleed N

I save the registration e-mail in my gmail or outlook folder entitled "Flightsim".  I have sub-folders for many purchases I have made over the years, like PMDG, HiFi, FlightOne, Orbx, FSDT, etc.  All of the software is on another HDD in similar folders.  Rather simple really.... B) but it can get daunting if you have purchased a lot of software over the years.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Me too, I have an invoices folder in my Outlook/Hotmail account with all my purchases. Also I always copy the contents of the order mails and paste it in word docs and save it with my original add on zip file both on a dedicated data hard drive and an external backup usb hard drive.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Alexander Colka

Yep, I typed them all up into a Word Doc, listing them my ICAO code, Name, and Developer.

It sits on the Desktop and if I need inspiration I just open it and take a look. :smile:

+1

In Outlook.  Sub-Folder named PAYWARE>then the vendor ie FLIGHTSIM STORE>include invoice, statements and emails with codes by purchase.  Easy to find and recall if needed.

Of course the email database is backed up in case you have a HD failure so you can recall the email.

AND.  All payware purchases that are downloaded, which are most of them, I keep a PAYWARE - MASTER and PAYWARE - BACKUP folder with each purchase organized by vendor or logical names, one two separate HDs.

No chance I'm going to loose anything unless I have two HDs fail at the same time (which can happen btw, I am living proof), ie electrical surge that blows your protection.

cheers

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I agree this is quite a problem - had a huge amount of addons for FS9 of which used to keep details on cards in a boxfile (I admit that was a pretty basic system for a sophisticated computer simulation but it sort of worked!) and now a steadily increasing number of airport addons is causing me a similar problem with FSX! As one of my main issues was trying to decide where to fly next in the time available, I went down the route of installing Ideal Flight and I am now gradually adding my payware and good freeware airports into a "favourites" category within this great utility. I can now generate a random or predefined flights as the mood takes me preferentially using my favourite airports (or any other airports) if I wish.

Bill

I opted to create the list in Excel. This allows me to sort the list or search the list by ICAO, country, etc

Rob

I prefer a text editor instead.

Everyone has one,and less prone to fail than Word or Excel.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hehe, that's what I do except I hide the thing or else I start to think I bought too much.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I keep track of payware purchases on a spreadsheet, but in terms of knowing what I have upgraded for purposes of flying, I've been trying to keep a .kml in Google Earth of any airports I've upgraded, whether it's via payware or freeware.  I fly a lot along the eastern edge of Orbx NRM, so it's nice to have their .kml visible as well as mine.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Airports/sceneries: I once tried to keep track of all my installed sceneries by adding them to an Excel sheet, but that was a horrible mess, because I didn't care too much about it, to be honest, so I had loads of addons (sadly both free and purchased ones), I didn't really use, because I didn't remember they exist!

Aircraft: Well, it's not so hard, I viewed them so often that I know of most aircraft I have installed - but still it happens that I am surprised about what planes I have in my virtual hangar.

Tools: I use so few, that I know of every single one.

In general, I always try to keep my purchase data (receipts, keys etc.) on at least two separate places, one being an external hard drive. This drive is also where I primarily store my downloads, be it purchases or freeware. I keep them organized by assigning them folders and subfolders for Freeware - Aircraft (further sorted by type of plane and author)/sceneries (by continent and country)/tools/gauges (no furhter sorting for those last two, so that's actually a quite messy folder I hardly ever view  :rolleyes:) and Payware - Developer - scenery/aircraft/tools (if that differntiation is actually necessary).

Separate folder for installation files and each of them named by airport/addon...

But yeah, need to prepare a word list..

A nice feature would be to incorporate "installed/owner" airports into PFPX (or flight planner of your choice) and allow filtering (aka I only want to see airports I own) ... a checkbox or something.  In fact, think I'll go add this feature request over at Aerosoft if it's not already there.

But for now I just keep a list on my external HDs