Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Just watched the "JustPlanes 777 Air Canada Polar OPS" and "PilotsEYE 777 Aerologic"

So, I've watched both and loved both, they had very interesting moments too :)

Regarding the Just Planes Air Canada movie covering Toronto-Hong Kong and back:

- More than 4 hours of material covering every part of the flight and with detailed crew explanations. There's a long section on the flight preparation and briefing and another long section on the EFB.

- I liked the Captain on the flight a lot, seemed quite a nice guy. There's a 30min section in which he tells his story, what he does and how Air Canada works.

- There's a moment when they get a final vector to the ILS but the vector is too close to the runway so that they intercept the GS before the LOC. ATC asks for pardon, and our Captain says something like "We never complained! Don't you worry, it's a beautiful day and our copilot enjoys a little visual flying", the ATC can't hold his laughter, haha

- HF communications. The most obsolete thing about flying a 777 is having to communicate through HF, it's just horrible! You notice everybody getting kinda tense in the cockpit when the time comes to speak on HF, you have to repeat a lot, say "over" and so on. Just interesting to see HF in action.

The PilotsEYE covering Leipzig-Bergamo-Hong Kong-Leipzig

- Excellent HD footage. That's what I like most about PilotsEYE.

- Also a remarkable Captain with strong "German" character! He says "I love the 777, there's something MASCULINE about it" haha

- By the end of the movie they play some old footage of Kai Tak airport with the Captain commenting the landings, quite interesting as well.

- There's a funny moment when the FO looks through the right window (where there's absolutely nothing) and says "Clear on the right". The Captain looks at him and says something like "You don't say? That's critical information you've just pointed out there! Thank God it's clear to the right!" haha. The FO is kind of a fish really, seems pretty nervous.

So, I strongly recommend watching both movies! Both are great in their own way. JustPlanes focuses more on systems and procedure descriptions while PilotsEYE relies more on HD images out of the cockpit windows. I enjoyed both of them a lot!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

+1 on the Aerologic Video :) The chief pilot seems like a great guy to fly with.

Rob Prest

I saw both and loved both.

I remember that scene in the aerologic vid.
They were on the taxiway K, about to make the left turn to K7, where the copilot said right is clear.

Both captains indeed seemed like great guys, and you get the notice they actually fly with passion.
I have also seen some clips where you could really see a captain that does it because it's a job now.. He just sits there untill he retires, but the passion is long gone.

Love the World Air Routes/Justplanes series. Picked up a job lot on eBay a while back which I've still to watch, got about 9 titles for £35. South African A340, Westjet 737, Swiss A340 and Luxair 737 are amongst them.

The FO is kind of a fish really, seems pretty nervous.

Of course he is, he's flying with his Director of Flight Ops.... That's always going to be a tense moment, especially when cameras are involved.

I have all the AC 777 DVDs and BluRays from Just Planes.  Great stuff!  Awesome plane!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Of course he is, he's flying with his Director of Flight Ops.... That's always going to be a tense moment, especially when cameras are involved.

Agreed! 

However, the Second Officer (the young guy who's only a cruise relief pilot), doesn't seem as nervous as the FO. Maybe that's due to the fact that there's very little chance of screwing up during cruise, but still.

Furthermore, on the Air Canada movie the captain is not only a "high-ranked" pilot within the company, he's also a Checkpilot for Air Transport Canada, yet every other pilot is perfectly calm.

Jaime Beneyto

One more for the Air Canada video. I had drawn a couple of blanks, regarding T7 cockpit vids, until I came across that one.

For another blooper, check out the ITVV BAe 146 video: At some point the Captain's voice starts to squeak, and both pilots start making fun of it.

Personally I enjoyed the Air Canada 77L to SYD more than the Polar film - probably watched it once a week at one point (no joke! still have it on my iPad). The older 77W has a fantastic entire preflight at Narita and is what helped me learn a fair bit prior getting the 777. 

AeroLogic one has a different kind of vibe - I like it though! Well, love it (minus having to read subtitles)  :lol:  :P Excited to see what 777's JustPlanes bring out this year. I have a feeling Air France 77W could be one - I bought the download to the 772 and was a good watch. Shame Air New Zealand pulled out of their agreement to do a film on the 777  <_< A BA or EK one would be more than perfect....

I watched all the Air Canada 777 films, and I find them all very well done. The crews are are very knowledgable and professional. I've learnt a lot from them, little teqniques that you wouldn't normally use in the pmdg 777. The flight crew just makes you want to fire up the sim and fly the pmdg 777 on a long haul, it never gets old.

I love how Pilot's Eye allows the crew to be casual, some of the justplanes videos while great just drone on and on regarding the technicalities in certain sections (which can be boring or interesting depending on how familiar you are with the aircraft). Looking forward to PE's MD-11 with Lufthansa Cargo and I'm looking into some of their older series as well.

I love how Pilot's Eye allows the crew to be casual, some of the justplanes videos while great just drone on and on regarding the technicalities in certain sections (which can be boring or interesting depending on how familiar you are with the aircraft). Looking forward to PE's MD-11 with Lufthansa Cargo and I'm looking into some of their older series as well.

Agreed.

Sometimes I just get tired of the FO explaining what a PFD is or what a ND is... I usually see the whole thing in case he says something I didn't know, doesn't happen at this point anymore.

But I do appreciate when pilot's talk about themselves or about the company or about procedures and technicalities regarding that specific flight, like the Air Canada captain did on his 30min "monologue".

Jaime Beneyto

I have a question about the download videos on Just Planes. When you buy such videos, do you need to watch them streaming ? Or can you download them, to watch them offline later ? If yes, is the download resumeable ? Because I have a poor internet connection.

Stephane

Stephane LI-THIAO-TE

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

vpa055.png

I have a question about the download videos on Just Planes. When you buy such videos, do you need to watch them streaming ? Or can you download them, to watch them offline later ? If yes, is the download resumeable ? Because I have a poor internet connection.

Stephane

Stephane LI-THIAO-TE

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

Not familiar with the downloads Stephane, but I presumed you would download them and then "own" that digital copy, for viewing at your leisure whilst offline. I would use a download manager to guarantee to be able to resume them.

I always get the DVDs though!