Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Ground and sky textures

Okay simmers now i've sorted all my errors and problems out its time to start actually using fsx! Anyone recommend a good ground and sky upgrade payware? Not sure what to go with been looking at justflight are they good thanks and what do you guys use out there...

Vernon Howells

Just a personal choice - I prefer REX Essentials + Overdrive for my sky, cloud, grass, runway, and taxiway textures.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

how about REX4-Direct/its been a game changer for me,

I really shouldn't comment seeing as I have none of the addons I talk about, but I follow the forums quite a lot so from what I've picked up, for ground textures most people go for GEX (as already mentioned) or FTX Global.  I don't know much about GEX but I believe it is often used in conjunction with UTX (made to work together), while FTX Global vector is a similar product for FTX Global.  I think - as the name suggests - that FTX Global improves the land textures for the whole world, but I'm not sure about GEX.

As has been stated, rex 4 seems to be the big thing for airport, water and sky textures.

Rex 4 seems a good package airport ground and sky all in one i'm going to look more into it and been looking at GSX for airport vehicles

Vernon Howells

Just to throw a wrench in the works, I was not happy at all with REX4. Not nearly the options for tweaking as with Essentials. Like the cloud options better as well.

Rex 4 seems a good package airport ground and sky all in one i'm going to look more into it and been looking at GSX for airport vehicles

Also have REX 4 and I can let you know it's phenomenal. Installation is just under 5 seconds and contains textures that are the same quality as the overdrive version. Good choice too.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

So will the rex 4 cover the ground and sky then and is it an online download? Think i've made my mind up now :)

Vernon Howells

No, REX is NOT ground textures.

Certainly not in the same sense as GEX or Orbx Global but REX does give the user textures for the airport environment (Runway, Taxiway, Parking/Gate etc.) as well as great water textures.

RE Thomason Jr.

Visit REX Homepage for more details but REX4 Texture Direct  should cover the following textures...

Clouds& Effects- High Level, Low Level and Lightning

Sky Colors- Dawn, Day, Dusk and Sun effects

Water and Waves- Global Water and Wave Animation

Airport- Airport Lighting, and Bumpmap

Runway and Taxiway- Both Asphalt and Concrete plus markings

Sound Effects- For Precipitation noises

RE Thomason Jr.

My current combination is UTX/FTXG/FEX (with FSWC to tweak the water). Works great where I fly, which is northern Europe. But as has been said, it's very much a matter of personal preference.