Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Faces to names!

Hi all

I was just thinking. First time for everything, yes! Seriously, though. I doubt there's a simmer who has used a PMDG product who wouldn't be able to pick RSR out in a book called "Where's Robert?". So it got me thinking. Why don't you guys at PMDG make up a page ("About Us") on your website listing your main staff - Robert, Ryan, Vin, etc along with a photo? It'd be great (I think so, anyway) to put a face to a name, along with a short bio perhaps. What do you reckon?

Privacy 101.

That point falls through when you realize Rob has (or had?) a picture of himself for an avatar and also gives public speeches (Avsim conference, Aerosoft conference a couple years back).

Tabs posted some pictures of himself playing guitar as well. Henning has an avatar of himself hanging out of a DC-6 as well. I don't think I have seen a pic of (say) Jason, Dr. Vaos or Alexey Bashkatov though.

Hi all

I was just thinking. First time for everything, yes! Seriously, though. I doubt there's a simmer who has used a PMDG product who wouldn't be able to pick RSR out in a book called "Where's Robert?". So it got me thinking. Why don't you guys at PMDG make up a page ("About Us") on your website listing your main staff - Robert, Ryan, Vin, etc along with a photo? It'd be great (I think so, anyway) to put a face to a name, along with a short bio perhaps. What do you reckon?

I can't remember for sure because I don't currently have the 747X or MD-11 installed on my comp, but if you do have either of those planes installed, I believe if you go to Add-ons -> PMDG, there's credits option to read about the developers. It's like they tried to hide it. I don't think you can view it with the NGX or the 777 since everything runs through the FMS and there's no more drop-down menu. I remember seeing it once somewhere, I just can't remember where specifically. 

Correction - there may be an option in the FMS Menu somewhere also. 

I personally don't think anyone should be asked to provide their photo on the internet.

It's a strange old world out there, and the PMDG guys (along with anyone who provides service via the internet) occasionally deal with some crazies out there.

Privacy concerning appearance is the last degree of protection for some guys and their families, and I dare say if people wanted to show everyone what they look like, they could or would have by now.

On the internet, people's identities are born, formed, maintained and judged according to how they communicate; what they say, the intent behind it, and how they say it.   Biology doesn't come in to it IMHO.   :smile:

These are just my views of course, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask people (especially commercial vendors) to show photos of themselves.

They used to have pictures of the team on the old, old, old site.  I'm talking original 747-400 for FS9 era.

I don't see the privacy issue, particularly if it's not compulsory.  I feel like people have a misunderstood concept of information security and privacy.  The web is essentially a public place.  If I can see your face in a(n offline) public place, I don't understand the need to not show a picture.  Heck, in the United States, I can legally take a picture that has your face in it (provided you aren't the subject of the image), and you have no legal recourse.  With that, if you live near a city, I can guarantee there are people out there with a picture of you, though I do understand that they probably don't have your name.  Still, first last and a photo isn't exactly sensitive PII (though it's certainly PII).  If it were a high-res picture of your face that I could use in facial rec, sure, but there's no way you're going to get that kind of resolution in anything you're going to be posting online.

Again, it's a personal choice, and you have a right to not do it.  Just stating my opinion.

Kyle Rodgers

If they wish to do it, that's fine.

If they don't, that's fine too.

I certainly won't go demanding they must do it.

Exactly right.  

I think that's what most of us were saying... some people (especially self-appointed PMDG gurus) just like to come down on every other person's opinions in an aggresive way  - even when it's not necessary.

I'm against the PMDG policy of requiring real names in the forum, and I added mine begrudingly. I understand the reason they want it there, but they could find another way to do it (e.g. register the forum username with them instead). That way private info doesn't have to become public.

I always question why people want to see other people's faces online. Online is the wild west, and the less info you put out there, the better.

Best regards,

Robin.

First + last really isn't "private."

It's on your driver's license, which has a lot more PII on it than most of what you'd be putting online (particularly here), and we hand that to complete strangers (who often look kinda sketchy) just to get into bars and night clubs.  Personally Identifying Information is private.  PII is private because it can be used to specifically pinpoint you: a social security number by itself would be PII; a first + middle + last, when combined with other identifying information, such as DOB could be PII, but first + last certainly isn't.

Why?  Google yourself.  Chances are, you'll find that there are more than one when you search by first and last only.  That's not private, and it's certainly not sensitive.  If I can't find you, specifically, it's really not harming you at all.

Me?  I died in a fiery car crash; am well known for both wrestling and hockey; and apparently live in Texas, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, and California (simultaneously, mind you).  Even better, my list of diplomas from major universities shows I'm pretty well rounded in my studies.  Five bachelor's degrees?  That's pretty cool...

Kyle Rodgers

Me?  I died in a fiery car crash; am well known for both wrestling and hockey; and apparently live in Texas, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, and California (simultaneously, mind you).  Even better, my list of diplomas from major universities shows I'm pretty well rounded in my studies.  Five bachelor's degrees?  That's pretty cool...

You're also the drummer for an awesome band The Downtown Fiction. 

I feel like people have a misunderstood concept of information security and privacy. The web is essentially a public place.

It is a public place, but the more of yourself you put online the more there is for others to use to misrepresent you. That is where privacy comes in. Someone could take your photo in the street and it wouldn't be an invasion of privacy. But if they could link that photo to other personal details of you online then it could be.

==================================================

I don't see what purpose there would be in having a "rogues gallery" of PMDG employees on the website. If PMDG want to put faces to their names then that's their decision, but us customers don't gain anything from it.

ki9cAAb.jpg