Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

FSX 4gb RAM usage? How?

Hello, AVSIM. New to the forums, and figured I could seek a bit of help.

Being an FSX owner for a while, it came to my attention, as it eventually does any FSX simmer, that FSX doesn't always utilize all of your computers RAM. Now DON'T get me wrong, I know it can't use more than 4gb, but that is not really my issue. I researched the whole "Large Address Aware" thing, and checked to see if FSX was flagged [and it was]. But, after viewing system performance via task manager while FSX was running, I noticed the RAM usage barely peaked 2.5gb. That number alone may be small, but listen to this. Initially, my system uses about 1.64gb of RAM without FSX running. So, when FSX is running, that RAM marker goes up to about 2.5gb together. To me, this shows that FSX is using less than 1gb of RAM! (.86gb to be precise). So, being that I'm running FSX acceleration on Windows 7 64-bit with a Large Address Aware Flag (I'm pretty sure), why is it FSX uses just under 1gb of RAM? I know there's the whole Virtual memory thing, but shouldn't physical RAM be utilized as well?

I'm not implying that there's a hardware OR software issue... I'm just seeking advice. Is this normal? If not, how can it be 'fixed?' Please give clear answers, for I'm not perfect with computer vocabulary (but I know a good amount).

Thanks.

Because FSX and modern operating systems are very good at utilizing RAM and VRAM.

What is available and what is used are two different things altogether!

Besides, the issue isn't RAM per se, but rather Virtual Address Space (VAS), which again is an entirely separate issue from physical RAM...

To set your mind at rest however, since you are running FSX (LAA flagged) under Win7 x64 operating system, all the prerequisites have been met.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have looked at the various ram use reports and it appears very much dependent on settings within the program, and add on packages. Just how the numbers are arrived at, is another variable. I use the task manager with the resource monitor running in the background to track the system ram usage; ie: fly around, close down, pause the monitor, view the graphs. I use the utility GPU-Z at the same time to track my GPU ram utilization and processes. My system is very optimized, and process trimmed for FSX only. Within my limited world, system only utilizes less than 1Gb. Flying in FSX.. 2.2 to 2.6 Gb system ram is in use (total), and gpu-z reports ~400 Mb video ram in usage.

Thanks. Might I also mention that though I have an i7 quad core CPU, it only process 2.67 GHz. [i know, pretty dang low number :( and won't overclock far]. Wish I had 4.5 GHz and 12 cores to go through. Wouldn't that be a dream....

Anyway, thanks. I think it's the CPU that's the main culprit in my low FPS.

P.S.    I'm running REX 4 Texture, as well as FTX Global BASE, and sometimes fly with the Airbus X. However, I decided just last night I couldn't use Airbus X and FTX simultaneously... my computer (or at least my CPU) can't handle it very well. :(

Thanks again.

Did you set an affinity mask entry in your FSX.cfg? you need this to fully utilise your quad core in the best possible way.

If you want more help, it would be helpful if you give us your system specs and which, if any tweaks you are using. 

From what I have learnt, It doesn't matter how fast your system is FSX will never run the way it should because the development was never finished or optimized because Microshaft  paid off the 'Aces' and let them go, prematurely.

P3D (Which I haven't got) is another story.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Meeting your own performance expectations is the best we can all achieve. I stretch my hardware (very limited:) to extreme. I OC my video card, and use the Bojote mods with some additional mods gleaned from forums. With an external fps limiter set to 22 fps, I can achieve relatively high slider settings within FSX. Performance is very fluid, with few stutters. My average CPU AND GPU usage range from 70 to 90 percent. I have added additional system cooling as precaution. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or in my case what expenses allow.. :)

Here is a patch which let's 32-bit applications address up to 4gb of available RAM in a 64-bit environment, you're welcome. :)

FSX SP2/Acceleration is already patched for Large address aware, this patching utility is not needed anymore