Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

How's the navdata in Prepar3D?

I never said one did, even though Civil Aviation Authority Publication CAP 032 is UK Aeronautical Information Publication.

The NATS licence prevents

(a) modify or download the Website or its contents (except caching or as necessary to view Content); or (b)  create any derivative work based upon either the Website or its Content;"

showing that the data generally can't be copied.

In FSX the runways are assigned true headings and so are the ILSs. So if you are going straight down an ILS it should be aligned perfectly with the runway most of the time. So in that instance magnetic declination doesn't matter too much.

This is true, but when we are dialing in the approach course, we're referring to the magnetic heading on the approach plate.   If you're flying one of the fancy planes that provides you with a track vector overlayed on top of your needles, then you can be doing a perfect job accounting for the crosswind, according to your instruments, but you'll still drift off the localizer because the approach course is wrong.  It doesn't kill you, because you see the localizer needle drifting to one side, and you compensate for it to keep it centered, but it is still an annoyance--tends to make your approach a little curved, or even sidewinding, when it would otherwise be nice and straight.

Mr. Hervé Sors provides a BGL file on his website that updates the magnetic variation data in FSX. It's an excellent addition, and should theoretically work in P3D. If I remember correctly, it's just a matter of replacing the magdec.bgl file in the simulator's Scenery/World directory.

Best regards.

Replacing the magdec.bgl file doesn't address approach course issues at all when the course on the plate is calculated using a different mag dec than what's active at the location. This impacts a number of approaches I know of here in the U.S. and it's not a data error at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

...but you'll still drift off the localizer because the approach course is wrong.

It will not if LOC true heading is the same as the real one AND local FS magnetic variation is near that of the ILS calibrated value (ILS magnetic course on approach plates is calculated from true course + current localizer MV that is usually airport MV). The difference between FS and real approach plate is that

- real approach plates use the currently defined MV for the ILS,

- while FS use a calculated value from the generic worldwide magdec.bgl file

and, indeed, it could be different especially if the magdec.bgl FS value is too far from the MV value used for the plate (can be that from 2005 until 2015..). No simple solution for that

Hoops didn't see Ed answer that says the same ;-)

From previous posts I arrived at a consideration not just of little importance.

Without prejudice to all Legal Notice, as regards the origin of the data source.

Since, as is reported, "The content of the pages of the Site may not, in whole or in part, be copied, reproduced, transferred, loaded, published or distributed in any way without the prior written consent of XXXXX, except for the possibility to store them in memory on your computer or printing copies of extracts from this site for personal use only. "

I have updated, for my personal use, the database FSX for a defined area, in particular with regard to airspace last AIRAC.

The problem is if I can exchange, non-profit, the end result of these data without encountering problems?  :unsure:

You may ask yourself...   "How's the navdata in Prepar3D?"

Answer:

same-as-it-ever-was-party-supplies-cover

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down 
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground... 

The answer is no, you can not share someone else's copyrighted material without their permission.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

You may ask yourself...   "How's the navdata in Prepar3D?"

Answer:

Yep...I think the question is covered.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

local FS magnetic variation is near that of the ILS calibrated value (ILS magnetic course on approach plates is calculated from true course + current localizer MV that is usually airport MV).

UK charts show approaches are magnetic but runway heading is true and the VOR/ILS/MLS has its own magnetic variation so Approach (M) = Runway (T) + ILS (M). Approaches are then rounded to the nearest degree.

...published or distributed in any way....

Which of the words ...published and distributed in any way... are not clear?

Not to mention the price of all that data.  I bet LM got the license from Microsoft to include what we do have in the sim. Having to pay for that license now would probably skyrocket the price.

Which of the words ...published and distributed in any way... are not clear?

... From what I understand it is not allowed to use that data source without a license authorization.

In theory, we fans should not even try to construct scenarios with that data ... crazy!  :rolleyes: