Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Teen survives in wheel well of Maui flight

Pilots hear a tapping out in morse code coming from the floor: p.l.e.a.s.e.m.o.v.e.g.e.a.r.l.e.v.e.r.t.o.o.f.f.g.e.t.t.i.n.g.p.i.n.c.h.e.d.t.h.x.

I probably should be more p.c. when I hear about things like this, because obviously the kid has some really deep-seated issues, and we can feel sorry for him for that, but at some point, I just shake my head and get a little sardonic about it.

I can see that where Hawaiian parks at SJC it is probably about the easiest place to hop a fence and get to the aircraft without being detected.

scott s.

Guess I won't ever again complain about getting a middle seat between two college linebackers!!!!!!

Huh!  Maui.  Not bad for a getaway from parents.  Wonder if he really knew to where the plane was scheduled?  

When I was that age I wanted to stow away from Kansas City to the Indianapolis 500.  Funny, two years later our family moved to Indianapolis.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I vote for this being either a complete hoax or at least a misrepresentation of where the boy stowed away.

I vote for this being either a complete hoax or at least a misrepresentation of where the boy stowed away.

Definitely not a hoax, there's video of him being taken to an ambulance surrounded by cops. As for how he did it. That was reported and demonstrated by CNN, so take that for what it's worth, considering the source.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

His story seems to check out.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/21/teenage-stowaway-survives-flight-pacific-california-hawaii

EXCERPT:

A teenage runaway has survived a five-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean from California to Hawaii stowed away in the freezing wheel well of a jet plane.

Officials said it was a miracle the 16-year-old did not die after he lost consciousness as temperatures fell to -62C (-80F) in the compartment on flight.

He was found on the asphalt at Kahului airport in Maui, Hawaii, with no identification after jumping down and wandering around the grounds. His only possession, besides what he was wearing, was a comb.

Officials said he had run away from his family after an argument.

Security footage from the San Jose airport, where the flight originated, showed the boy jumping over a fence to get to Hawaiian Airlines flight 45 on Sunday.

"His story checked out," said FBI special agent Tom Simon. "It's just an apparent miracle … There was no appearance of any special gear of any sort. He was unconscious for the lion's share of the flight."

Simon said the boy was given a medical examinations and found to be unharmed. "[He] doesn't even remember the flight," he said. "It's amazing he survived that."

The boy, who will not be charged, has been referred to child protection services, Simon added.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm more interested in seeing how he didn't manage to fall out when the landing gear was lowered for landing, since he was unconscious at that time.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Some interesting reading for the technically curious. This report is quite old so the numbers are out of date.

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/1990s/media/AM96-25.pdf

Historically, according to the Federal Aviation Administration's Civil Aerospace Medical Institute, since 1947, 105 people are known to have attempted to fly inside wheel wells on 94 flights worldwide. Of those, 25 made it through, including a 9-year-old -- a survival rate of 24%. One of the flights went as high as 39,000 feet. Two others were at 38,000 feet.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If the lad was able to hop a fence and get into a wheel well without detection, he could certainly have gotten into the cargo bay as well.

maybe the cargo bay was closed ? 

If it was my airline we would of tried to charge him for a bag, and then ask him if he wanted to buy a train ticket before finally asking him to make a donation to a charity 

14ppkc-6.png

Today's story is that he was trying to get to Somalia.  He had no idea where the plane was going.

A 16-year-old with no useful concept of geography.  It says something about either him or our educational system.  I guessing it's a little of both.

It says something about either him or our educational system. I guessing it's a little of both.

I am leaning towards a whole lot of both!

Mel

P.S. Extremely off topic; @ Captain. I love hockey also, . . . .  you, Bedford Ma. I'm betting you are a Bruins fan and a BC fan? Bruins look tough to beat this year. I'm a Jackets fan, still holding my breath, they can be really good or really bad.

Today's story is that he was trying to get to Somalia.  He had no idea where the plane was going.

A 16-year-old with no useful concept of geography.  It says something about either him or our educational system.  I guessing it's a little of both.

I think it is just a function of where Hawaiian parks there.  Far end of terminal next to the fence.

scott s.

Today's story is that he was trying to get to Somalia.

I think Hawaii is waaaayyy better. Kid lucked out!

I guess the poor parents will have to pay for the plane trip back... I wonder if the airline will want something for the trip over?

Before you laugh at that idea, consider that companies are generally greed filled, soulless monsters.

Before you laugh at that idea, consider that companies are generally greed filled, soulless monsters.

Wrong! But an otherwise fundamentally sound thought!

With their ground crew's failure at pre-flight inspection I expect they will in the future need to have even more greed in order to recover from the negligence claim they will have to make settlement for in this case.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm betting you are a Bruins fan and a BC fan?

Bruins!  (I don't follow college hockey much.)  I came very close to starting a playoff beard last week.