Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Asn, Love It, But...

Agree.. some of these price tags make it so hard.. how is the demo? is it easy to uninstall after?

Very easy to uninstall.

nah.. lol. bought Rex 2 with Overdrive for 50 bucks in the fall, two days later it was on sale for 22.. thought that was my weather engine but I can't stand the clouds popping in and out.. Grabbed Rex 4 during the recent Easter Sales.. but curious on ASN, because everyone raves.. but do I want to take a 'chance' at that amount of money.. could get A2A C172 instead... arrrrgh indecision!

There was no perceivable cloud popping, very nice looking clouds and the aircraft actually disappears gradually in the clouds.

Ric,

I think you know the only way to get a sale on ASN is if you buy it full price.   :P

Seriously, if you can't afford it, or rather spend the money on other products, then so be it.  But I think the demo showed you the quality of this product.  After all, shouldn't good weather representation be an essential layer in flight simulation?  

Agree, as I said, I will probably get it.

Ric, if you buy it at pcaviator on a Tuesday you get a small sale.. 10%.. helps the pain a lil...

Getting rid of violent wind shifts would be a plus as well.. I hate when my RealAir Duke Turbine overspeeds from that!!!

BTW, works great with OpusFSX Camera Live.

Have you tried the latest OPUS beta? popping is very minimal now 

ZORAN

Have you tried the latest OPUS beta? popping is very minimal now 

Even if they fix the popping, the clouds are so much nicer and believable in ASN. The variation of transparency is what sold me.

Yesterday I was Flying in my PMDG 777 with ASN active, wow did I hit some wicked turbulence over the Alps, right were it was supposed to be as I had marked it out on my charts while doing my preflight, simulation felt so real, got a little more again just west of Greece. I swear by ASN, amazing program and it works so well with PFPX, there is still a little room for improvement but they are continually pumping out updates. I have not yet noticed any dramatic wind shifts but I do see cloud popping in the mountains, but not nearly as bad as before. Great flight, I was flying German Cargo 886, "Aero Logic", Frankfurt Hahn EDFH - Sharm el Sheik HESH, flight time was 4:03. Would definantly recommend this flight, nice scenery including the foothills in Bavaria, the Alps, Northern Italy the Balken and Greek coast lines. Climbing out of EDFH through the clouds looks amazing as you can see the 3D effect on the wings as they fade in and out when looking through the porthole in wing view. I would Highly recommend checking this link, I have been using it for my preflight weather checks, very useful if you don't already use it and ASN recreates it to a T. Using PFPX I print off a wind chart and mark out any turbulent areas to add to the emersion.

http://www.jetplan.com/jeppesen/weatherServlet?&action=show&graphicType=wxMapPrevG&img=eutball12.gif:14:eutb:.gif:400,350,300,250,200,upr,low,all:400-450,350-400,300-350,250-300,200-250,350-450,200-350,200-450:200:12,18,24:12,18,24

Love Opus. used it since it came out. But after the hype decided to give the ASN demo a try. Just 3 days left till it ends. I'm bummed. With REX 4 its just beautiful. I too will wait for a nice sale.

I was sold on REX but all the raves about ASN got me interested so I tried the demo --and one day later bought the program. ASN is so realistic and meshes with PFPX, PMDG's T7 and AivlaSoft EFB. I still use the REX graphics but for weather - I am stuck on ASN.

With spring finally arriving in the Midwest I like to check the local weather then run up a short flight to compare the real world to the sim. The clouds aren't exactly like the view out the window but the pattern is perfect. I don't know how they do it but I won't be going back to REX any time soon.

ASN is awesome. Cloud popping is virtually impossible because of the way they gradually appear over a period of a few minutes I believe. Makes for some very smooth transitions and you see the weather in the distance as it approaches, no sudden changes out of nowhere.

Alex

Alex -

You mean you don't have to scrape your dinner off of the flight deck ceiling after you drop 3,000 Ft in a split second? I know I miss the 50-60 KT over speed that comes out no where. You know the one that knocks you off the autopilot.

I really appreciate the attention to detail they put into ASN's weather engine behavior. The best part though is the way that ASN plays with others. No more weather related CTDs or system crashes. No more memory leakage or mystifying untracked sim behaviors. And ESPECIALLY no more frame rates in the teens!

Alex -

You mean you don't have to scrape your dinner off of the flight deck ceiling after you drop 3,000 Ft in a split second? I know I miss the 50-60 KT over speed that comes out no where. You know the one that knocks you off the autopilot.

I really appreciate the attention to detail they put into ASN's weather engine behavior. The best part though is the way that ASN plays with others. No more weather related CTDs or system crashes. No more memory leakage or mystifying untracked sim behaviors. And ESPECIALLY no more frame rates in the teens!

Oh the many messes Ive made in the past haha, but yeah its an incredible weather simulation to say the least.

Alex

I used to use the REX3 weather since it was included in that product. I have since switched to ASN and REX4. There's a big difference IMO.  The demo sold me on it for sure and I don't regret it a bit. Just be prepared for a few ##### moments when you run real weather, sometimes it can be a real challenge. 

It's also great that they are supporting the new P3D because I use that as well so I didn't have to spend the money twice. 

ASN is really incredible, way ahead of the rest right now imo. You will agree when you feel the updrafts and down drafts flying low over the moutains. I don't know of any other weather program that simulates this as effectively or at all. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Anyone ever notice ASN's historical weather is always at least an hour behind? Sometimes it can be more than two.

Anyone ever notice ASN's historical weather is always at least an hour behind? Sometimes it can be more than two.

Not sure how you're looking at this, but what I see is what I expect.

For example, I set historic wx to 4/15/14 at 21:50, look at conditions at KGXY and I get the METAR from 20:55 - obviously the most recent.  If I move historic time to 22:00, I see the 21:55 update as I'd expect. 

Note if you check the box to force historic time to sim time you may have issues after crossing time zones and so on.  This, as I understand it, is an FSX issue.

Scott

Not sure how you're looking at this, but what I see is what I expect.

For example, I set historic wx to 4/15/14 at 21:50, look at conditions at KGXY and I get the METAR from 20:55 - obviously the most recent.  If I move historic time to 22:00, I see the 21:55 update as I'd expect. 

Note if you check the box to force historic time to sim time you may have issues after crossing time zones and so on.  This, as I understand it, is an FSX issue.

Scott

Thanks. This made me realize what is happening. I fly at Canadian airports and Canadian metars are released on the hour (1300,1400,etc) whereas US metar seem to be released 5 minutes before the hour (1255,1355, etc.). So what must be happening is that ASN is looking for the last metar from the previous hour and so that is why I am getting old metar.