Sign in to follow this  
Jetset408

Utilities to add to NGX immersion and realism

Hi folks.

I have been a user of the NGX since day 1 (sounding like an AA meeting introduction...) but have found my enthusiasm for FSX dwindling lately and my time available for it more and more limited (it sucks getting older!). I have the 777 but rarely the time to do a long haul sim flight. I also have the MJC Q400 and love it, but that's OT for this thread.

I want to inject some new reality in to my FSX experience and specifically my use of the NGX. Im happy with the scenery side of things and have Opus for weather and view control. PFPX does for my planning.

Anyone got any recommendations on other utilities that would help the realism and immersion factor for flying the NGX? Top of my list is FS2Crew and a headset, but before i push the button on this, i thought i would seek views from fellow NGX simmers!

Thanks

Rich

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

The FS2Crew edition(s) for sure (NGX basepack/emergency expansion). An alternative is voice-controlled Multi Crew Experience (MCE), which you can use with your other planes, too.

FS Captain.

Addon ATC like RadarContact or VoxATC. Vox is voice-controlled, RC can be voice-controlled via MCE.

Greetings Rich,

Not sure if you also looking into hardware side of things, but I personally recommend:

- CP Flight MCP (Pro or Entry-level)

- CP Flight EFIS (Pro)

- CP Flight Radio

- Virtual CDU to be used with your iPad or other tablet with which you can physically program your FMC.

- Forgot to mention Aivlasoft EFB

I have a 8-5 job, wife and kids and get to fly during the week in the evenings on the odd occassion, but more on Thur/Fri nights and Sunday mornings and I decided to join a virtual airline and take part in various events...really great.

My best regards,

Rene

Edited by rene_1st

Fs2Crew is really nice and does indeed contribute to the overall immersion but soemtimes it's just clunky and gets in your way - by far not as "smooth" as having an actual FO to your right. Lately I just stopped using it. That's why I can't wait to see the shared cockpit feature in the Q400.

Thanks for your responses!

Not sure if you also looking into hardware side of things,

Interesting idea - I hadnt thought of hardware, especially the sorts you suggest. EFB is a good idea too. I will have a think about those!

Fs2Crew is really nice and does indeed contribute to the overall immersion but soemtimes it's just clunky and gets in your way

I was a bit fearful of that - I appreciate your feedback and will consdier this.

I did just start wondering about a Yoke, but actually, i think it will be too bulky and get in the way (may also make hiding my Flight Simming habit just that bit harder!)

Thanks again

Rich

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I have a yoke and that makes flying almost any aircraft more fun to fly and gives you a little more immersion. I agree that FS2Crew can get in my way every once and awhile, but if it starts annoying me during a flight then I just turn it off and ignore it.

Samuel Scully

Fs2Crew is really nice and does indeed contribute to the overall immersion but soemtimes it's just clunky and gets in your way

I find fs2crew quite unobtrusive, he just does what I tell him to do. May I ask how you find it so?

I didn't see it mentioned any where so I'll add that if you haven't already tried flying "online" on one of the networks, I don't think there's is any other, single, thing you could do to enhance immersion more. I've flown on VATSIM for years and, since I discovered it, I don't fly offline at all any more.

www.vatsim.net

More recently I've been doing most of my flying on the Pilot Edge network. This one you have to pay for, although they do have a two week free trial. The big advantages of PE are that that during their service hours you are assured of having ATC coverage from delivery through center in the entire geographic area. And, the quality of the ATC is superb.

www.pilotedge.net

Dave

Dave Paige

I didn't see it mentioned any where so I'll add that if you haven't already tried flying "online" on one of the networks, I don't think there's is any other, single, thing you could do to enhance immersion more. I've flown on VATSIM for years and, since I discovered it, I don't fly offline at all any more.

I definitely second this.  There's nothing better (getting a real person interaction in general, really).  Granted, there are many other ways to enhance the experience, but I'd argue there's no other way to enhance it to this degree.

Definitely look into VATSIM/IVAO/etc, Rich!

Kyle Rodgers

What do you guys find about FS2Crew that's cumbersome? Other than having to obey its own SOP, it does have some flexibility. You are the captain, after all.

My favorite feature is the circuit training module for touch and go's. On touchdown, he sets flaps 15 and stab trim 5; push the throttles up and off you go.

FS2Crew without a shadow of a doubt.

Have a look on Youtube.

ngxu_banner.png

What do you guys find about FS2Crew that's cumbersome?

I'm curious, too.  Besides being forced to use its SOP (versus the SOP/flows of [Airline A/B/C]), it actually frees me up a lot to do a bunch of other things while keeping my hands on the controls.

Kyle Rodgers

I can recommend Nvidia-3D-Vision2 with TrackIR5 a lot. Using it for over a year now I have to say that flying without it is like going back to the 2D cockpit. I use it in 1280x720 mode on my laptop and it runs just fine. Maybe some high res fanatics are disappointed by the reduced quality, even in 1920x1080 (1200).

-break-

Two days ago I had the chance to test Oculus Rift V1. The big advantage of being inside the 3D-scene is for the time being reduced by the limited resolution. But with V2 expected for June/July a higher resolution and positional head tracking will be included.

In the moment Nvidia looks better, but the possibilities of a VR-headset are amazing...

Greetings,

Claus.

EZdok  IMHO I like this over TrackIR5.

Jared Shipley