Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

Virtual world development is where the future in simulation is going to be.

Which is why I'm keeping my eye on Outerra, and why I wrote recently that there are advantages to making a whole world first and then adding the planes rather than the other way around. I imagine being able to drive to the Airport, hop out and walk across the field (maybe with the type of interactivity Mr Venema describes) then hopping into your plane to fly to your destination. Arriving, you take a short drive to a place with water, to maybe jump onto a yacht for some fishing. Or perhaps you want to try some Skiing. Or hang-gliding. Whatever!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I imagine being able to drive to the Airport, hop out and walk across the field (maybe with the type of interactivity Mr Venema describes) then hopping into your plane to fly to your destination. Arriving, you take a short drive to a place with water, to maybe jump onto a yacht for some fishing. Or perhaps you want to try some Skiing. Or hang-gliding.

What's wrong with the real world for, say, fishing?

I agree with you there, and not just about the fishing lol.

I would not be interested at all in the "driving, walking, fishing" part of that hypothetical sim. I do all of those things in the real world all the time. It's the flying that draws me in.

But then I never understood the popularity of The Sims either. ^_^

- Bill Magann

I totally agree! People (kids especially) need to 'step away from the computer' and spend more time outside recreating in the real world. Perhaps it is a blessing that virtual reality is still in development, as it would be way too addictive.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

The term "not to be used for entertainment purposes" is a legal cover for Lockheed Martin. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand?

Just to be disregarded then as nonsense, right? 

Just to be disregarded then as nonsense, right? 

Jim....I get your point but based on the fact that LM came to us here at AVSIM with open arms, "not for entertainment" may have been included to prevent folks from building a nice flight sim and taking it to the mall and selling rides. Also could preven say a movie company from using it for profit. As our old friend Clinton said ..."It depends on what you definition of "is" is. This is why any real discussion of the terms is useless with out having been included in the original discussions. This is why anyone who tries to define any of these legal terms and ideas just end up making an A_ _ out of themselves. All one can do is look at the facts as they have been presented. There is really only one fact that we have to work with. One of the largest Airplane contractors on the planet came to our house and said "Come on in. You are welcome to use our product and all we ask is use some common sense."

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

You're right Sam, every portion, in every EULA, is just a bunch of interpretive, legal mumbo jumbo. If it says install to one computer only that means about 4 different things. If it says you may not resell this software, that can mean a bunch of things too. And then when it doesn't make a hill of beans difference anyways what is the point? Just do whatever the heck you want because in the long run, none of this matters to most people. I just call it a big free-for-all.

"not for entertainment" may have been included to prevent folks from building a nice flight sim and taking it to the mall and selling rides.

That's quite an interpretation of "and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment".

I'm sure the patrons of The Pirate Bay interpret "Publish or otherwise disclose the Software for others to copy", means not using a photocopier.

You're right Sam, every portion, in every EULA, is just a bunch of interpretive, legal mumbo jumbo. If it says install to one computer only that means about 4 different things. If it says you may not resell this software, that can mean a bunch of things too. And then when it doesn't make a hill of beans difference anyways what is the point? Just do whatever the heck you want because in the long run, none of this matters to most people. I just call it a big free-for-all.

Never mind....you are the smartest guy in the world and you know everything. Lets just call a lawyer every time we need to poop.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Am I wrong when I think the EULA does really matter for some commercial add-on developers ? Else, why would they add a DRM preventing the use of their "private entertainment purposes only" add-on inside P3D ? Else, why is this topic so popular ?

This place is like a giant funnel. If any discussion goes on long enough, it will degenerate into a pissing contest over the EULA and then will eventually get flushed.

NAX669.png

This place is like a giant funnel. If any discussion goes on long enough, it will degenerate into a pissing contest over the EULA and then will eventually get flushed.

You are right. I am sorry, Over and out.

Sam

You are absolutely correct, and it has now brought this one to a close.