Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

So E3 is over and no announcement. I am just going to fly X-Plane since it is the only actively developed consumer sim. Why bother with all this speculation over a dead platform when there is a really good actively developed one?

So E3 is over and no announcement. I am just going to fly X-Plane since it is the only actively developed consumer sim. Why bother with all this speculation over a dead platform when there is a really good actively developed one?

The only? Did you forget Prepar3D?

Flightsim.com's forums seem almost dead, not dead in the since that Simflight's forums are but lackluster just the same no matter what you post.  You can post something over there and get 1 or two replies in six days no matter the importance.  It's sad because along with Avsim I want that site to stay prominent as well.  I post over there at times to help keep the traffic up but it's night and day compared to Avsim.  There's a flood of conversation/information here that's not found anywhere else in our community.

That's the same impression I got......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti... We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

Be gentle. He's only got one post :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

"We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti... We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

Here we have the holy grail of posts.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I am just going to fly X-Plane since it is the only actively developed consumer sim.

I think you meant to say the only actively developed consumer sim sold for entertainment purposes.

Prepar3d isn't a consumer sim unfortunately. At any moment they could begin enforcing their licenses more strictly. They could be forced to do so by whoever the new rights holder is to the FS brand. Prepar3d is nice but I think the legal grey area makes it iffy as a platform to invest in and rely on for the future. X-Plane on the other hand does not have that issue and will be a stable platform for the future.

Prepar3d isn't a consumer sim unfortunately. At any moment they could begin enforcing their licenses more strictly. They could be forced to do so by whoever the new rights holder is to the FS brand. Prepar3d is nice but I think the legal grey area makes it iffy as a platform to invest in and rely on for the future. X-Plane on the other hand does not have that issue and will be a stable platform for the future.

It is a consumer simulator! All licences are permitted to be used at home, as long as you're using it for training, instruction, learning and simulation (pay extra attention to the last one). The Flight Simulator franchise has got nothing to do with Prepar3D, so the new rights holder cannot do anything to them.

1386011306966_zps2fc48b47.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It is a consumer simulator!

But not a consumer entertainment product; to quote the Prepar3d EULA "and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment", which rules me out completely.

I wish there was some undercover 60 minutes type investigation of all of the people on these forums that are operating to the letter on the P3D EULA that looks at all of the other part of their lives to see if they operate with the same moral compass.  My guess is that some would pass the test with flying colours but many others would be found at fault for numerous infractions (double parking, underage drinking, illegal drug use, speeding, talking on the cell phone while driving, etc.).  Maybe in an alternate universe where significant numbers of people actually care about (let alone know about) out hobby.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Exactly so Mark! You nailed the crux of the P3D controversy issues.

Kind regards,

if refering  to mypost,  the words are already there "only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment" and "Academic Education".

Also that not  the way commercial layers work. The client decide what it wants  and the lawyer attempts to put that into the wording of the contract.

I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this stage.

We are all consumers. The local flight school is a consumer. You meant to say sold for consumer entertainment. 

And no, they can't be forced to do anything by any new licensee. No one bought the FS brand for starters. It appears someone may of licensed the engine. Secondly, ESP is not part of the FS brand. 

I am off to bed... Seriously??  Did you even bother to read at least more than one paragraph of what was said?  I guess not.. explains why we have 2 threads and 18 pages. so far.

All that has been said is that someone heard someone saying that someone might have purchased the license/a license or THE license to the MS Flight Sim franchise, but offered nothing to substantiate the claim after saying there will be announcement at E3 (which didn't happen).

I call rubbish on the whole idea.

In other news: I'm considering starting a new flight sim (new, not a re-hash of the old). Let's see how much traction that comment gets shall we? ^_^

Best regards,

Robin.