Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

If this all turns out to be true, it will be like a dream that we won't want to awake from. For me, despite all the enthusiasm for P3D and X-plane, I had growing feeling we were slowly easing (flags waving) into a dead end from which the final remains would be bits of ancient code whose only interest would be to scholars and collectors.

If true, this might represent a future. A real future, not just a propping up of the past.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I suspect that the announcement that we may have been presuming would come during E3 because of the probably coincidental timing may not actually come to pass. I hope Tom hasn't jumped the gun; looking at you Tom :lol: ! I really hope I'm wrong though.

For me, despite all the enthusiasm for P3D and X-plane, I had growing feeling we were slowly easing (flags waving) into a dead end ............

I understand that many feel that way, but for the life of me I cannot understand why? I think this hobby has been moving ahead and is in better shape than it has been for a number of years.

he runs one of the largest private jet company's out here
So if it turns out this company has purchased it to create a training sim for their jets, there's nothing in it for the simmers.

So if it turns out this company has purchased it to create a training sim for their jets, there's nothing in it for the simmers.

Not sure but I know that jetsuite is envolved in sim, they have sims cockpits for training.

Also they have a livery that comes with the Phenom100 from carenado.

I understand that many feel that way, but for the life of me I cannot understand why? I think this hobby has been moving ahead and is in better shape than it has been for a number of years.

I hear a lot of people proudly proclaim that they do not play games. Flight simming is "serious stuff" and their computer is set aside for simming only, etc.

May be true, but it also means that many have long since lost track of where technology has gone since FSX, and of how utterly, utterly dated even many of the most up to date "serious:" sims are, compared to what the rest of the world, especially the gaming world is up to.

Effects that are lauded as incredible in the sim world are often years-old news, or even downright laughable to the wider world, and we are proudly falling further and further behind while the band plays victory. Its why I am so interested in things like Outerra. Something truly new and modern, that if nurtured properly might help pull flight sims out of the middle ages.

Enough so that possible new simmers don't go "yuck" and walk away shaking their heads when they see our state of the art.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am off to bed... Seriously??  Did you even bother to read at least more than one paragraph of what was said?  I guess not.. explains why we have 2 threads and 18 pages. so far.

Rob Prest

FLEX,

You can lead them to water, just can not force them to drink ;)

Sleep well and sounds like interesting future for us FS fanatics....! No matter what we are moving forward....!

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

I'm so lost. So what does this mean for flight simming in general if it goes to someone? Will they make a new game or operating system? I'm just lost after reading the first page. :mellow:  :huh:

I'm so lost. So what does this mean for flight simming in general if it goes to someone? Will they make a new game or operating system? I'm just lost after reading the first page.

All it means...is. MS instead of shelfing FSX, has given it to someone to do something with it.

Doing something with FSX is > Shelfing FSX.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Did you even bother to read at least more than one paragraph of what was said?

Sure did. Every word of it.

Just got home..,

Looks like you just got home.

it seems that a few people here are  incapable of either getting that grey matter out of first gear

You think most people here are stupid

I was informed in person by a friend & very senior exec that the organization  he was involved in had purchased the rights to FSX

After a few emails with Tom I had also confirmed that what I was told was partially true

however a key misunderstanding was that  they are not the only group trying to purchase

Your friends company got it, or maybe they didn't. You don't know the full story.

I have no idea who got the bid, I sent an email to my friend but considering he runs one of the largest private jet company's out here I am not exactly going to rush him for  an answer

So you don't know the answer either.  

After reading the last three pages, I have come to believe all current flight sims are indeed a thing of the past. We(so called "serious simmers" are stuck here until we die because we are heavily invested in software, addons, and platforms etc.

Forget what you know, the future will bring virtual reality to new heights. with Oculus Rift sold to Facebook, Zuckerberg has the intention of making available near to cost to get the technology out there in the hands of consumers. Future simming will be closer to the Star Trek Holodeck than the primitive offerings of a sim born in the 1980's. The problem with we simmers is we are incapable of making that transition even if it( some great new technology) were available now. We love and refuse to give up FSX,P3D, X-Plane et al with their backwards compatibility. So in essence it makes no difference at all if the FS license is sold to someone, nothing will change for us, probably in our  lifetime.

Relax...

Any anger issues there Kangaby?

Any anger issues there Kangaby?

Jim, I think you may have hit on something.

NAX669.png

Not until I read his reply.

It went from "I'm special, I've got inside info", to "I didn't know as much as I thought", to "simmers have a bright future", to "now I don't know what the future holds" all in one post.

Why would an jet aircraft company suddenly want to start writing software for a simulator? Doesn't really make sense.