Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Shameful Like/Dislike strategy to get it axed...

To directly address this, the Mods and Tom have said they have seen people purposely vote a certain way to get a rise out of people leading to them banning the users in one form or another. I read one instance where a forum member down voted Tom's post just to tick him off (Tom was not pleased to say the least as the situation didn't warrant it). So there was an effort whether collectively or not to get the system removed and the cry babies won. You can deny it all you want but it was there... If the system was up I'm sure I'd have way more 'likes' to my post than the diatribe comments I'm reading now. That was what was interesting is you saw way more people engaged that wouldn't normally be involved in the conversation. Now as before only the loud most vocal people are heard and you don't get a feel for what the majority of people are really thinking... I've learnt through having that system that many just don't like commenting to stay out of getting attacked, back & forth, and mob rule antics like what's going on right now in this thread.

There might have been a tiny minority who did that but that does not mean they are the only people who disagreed with you. What about those who, like myself, didn't like the effect of negative ratings but were content to simply state there opinions. Also, in the thread concerned you were very vocal in supporting the rating system.

You characterising those opposed to your view as ego driven doesn't help take the heat out of the debate.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Now as before only the loud most vocal people are heard and you don't get a feel for what the majority of people are really thinking...

Would it be unfair to surmise that you might be falling inside the bounds of your own categorisation here? :Thinking:

There might have been a tiny minority who did that but that does not mean they are the only people who disagreed with you. What about those who, like myself, didn't like the effect of negative ratings but were content to simply state there opinions. Also, in the thread concerned you were very vocal in supporting the rating system.

You characterising those opposed to your view as ego driven doesn't help take the heat out of the debate.

I have to agree with this. It is no more than your own personal assumption Dillon that ego played any part, I imagine it's not an accusation that could easily be substantiated though perhaps I'm mistaken. If there are instances of egotistical assertion then I would suggest that you are a capable match for them.

Would it be unfair to surmise that you might be falling inside the bounds of your own categorisation here? :Thinking:

I have to agree with this. It is no more than your own personal assumption Dillon that ego played any part, I imagine it's not an accusation that could easily be substantiated though perhaps I'm mistaken. If there are instances of egotistical assertion then I would suggest that you are a capable match for them.

I'd love to have the rating system now to see exactly what people are thinking on all this.  People know the whining that's been going on versus discussing the issue, it's two different things...   I believe we had two more complaining threads since the original one after someone didn't get an explanation for a down vote on their comment.  

That being said a debate is totally different when you see the votes on comments and who people actually agree with.  Many of you in this thread wouldn't be so embolden on your high horse.  You'd be starting another 'Why Dislike' thread to get the system done away with...  ^_^

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well Dillon, to a certain point I agree with you up to and including I liked and miss the system. However a strategy to get rid of it? I think not.

I seem to recall during that great discussion around Christmas time, that I formed the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that Tom was not comfortable with it, even though the responses overall suggested a greater support, rather than dislike. I felt therefore, that the system was likely to have a short lifespan. And so it was!

Now, could it be any worse? You betcha. We could have an invasion of the "health and safety brigade". They are after all already amongst us - slowly chipping away.  :lol:  :lol:

I believe we had two more complaining threads since the original one after someone didn't get an explanation for a down vote on their comment.

If it's my thread you're referring to: I have never suggested to switch the voting system off there, actually I did quite like it. My problem (as stated in the other thread) is only that it's easy to just hit a button not stating your point, and not even participating in the discussion at all. Everyone'es entitled to have their own opinions, and they should have a chance of expressing it (this being a private forum this may be a bit limited, though) but I think there need to be some restrictions, or things can get out of hand too easily.

Now that this kind of personal issue has hopefully been cleared, back to the opic of I think voting systems can be a valuable learning tool, but not if they're abused by people being at war with others and have nothing else to do than systematically downvote every post made by their "enemy", and that's why the system has been shut down - so nothing to do with any "whining", as you word it, Dillon! Just think about it: Would you issue a complaint sooner or later, if someone voted down every single of your posts, just out of a personal thing? I bet you would, and I also bet you'd not be amused if someone else told you to stop whining.

Best regards,

I'd love to have the rating system now to see exactly what people are thinking on all this.  People know the whining that's been going on versus discussing the issue, it's two different things...   I believe we had two more complaining threads since the original one after someone didn't get an explanation for a down vote on their comment.

Whining? Wow. Are you having to resort to using negative language to win the debate now? You don't need to have the rating system back to see what people think of this. They are free to post their opinions for and against. That's the purpose of a discussion forum.

And by the way, here you are starting another thread because things didn't work out as you preferred. See the irony in that?

That being said a debate is totally different when you see the votes on comments and who people actually agree with.  Many of you in this thread wouldn't be so embolden on your high horse.  You'd be starting another 'Why Dislike' thread to get the system done away with...  ^_^

So you think not having ratings emboldens people to speak their minds? Isn't that a good thing, Dillon? I don't think the rating system put people off saying what they thought in the slightest, but if you honestly do then it having gone is a big step forward.

Have you ever heard the expression "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"? You go on about people whining and being on their high horses and yet that's exactly what you are doing.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You go on about people whining and being on their high horses and yet that's exactly what you are doing.

Not even close.  Using the term 'Whining' in the context of my observation is not negative but a take on what I saw and read.  I can take it if someone disagrees with me, I can take it if someone down votes my comment, and all the other examples of disagreements I've dealt with for years.   It's apart of life, no one is going to agree with you all the time.  But to come in here and make like people weren't offended by a vote and continually chipped away at the wall to bring it down is being disingenuous.  We have threads we can go back and look at for those with short memories! For the life of me I can't see taking issue with a vote on a post.  That's crazy (just like online bullying is crazy to me, just turn the computer off or surf somewhere else).  The great thing about the system was people who were scanning posts voted and moved on and that said allot more than what I'm doing right now (typing an explanation of my thoughts).  To get so up in arms about a simple vote on your comment is narcissistic to say the least.  Like you can't be disagreed with or your entitled to an explanation... You can't talk about me because I've taken it on the chin for over 7 years about FSX.  I can deal with disagreement.  I'm the poster child for it.  I can't understand those of you who can't...  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Now, could it be any worse? You betcha. We could have an invasion of the "health and safety brigade".

Are you saying that you weren't asked to provide Tom with a risk assessment and method statement before being allowed to post on the forum? I thought that documents of this sort were mandatory these days for anything done after waking up in a morning.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Why is this dead horse still being beat to death with that little stick?

Bring it back!

No, don't bring it back!

Yes, bring it back

No, Bring it ba......and so on ad infinitum.

Agree! Like +1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The buttons were a good way to endorse a post without cluttering up the forums. The downside was that you didn't know why a person agreed or disagreed.

Why is this dead horse still being beat to death with that little stick?

Maybe because he only has a little stick! :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.