Sign in to follow this  
Jetspaul

SP1 Datalink Communications

Good evening everyone, With SP1 being right around the corner and a host of new features included in it the one thing that has me tickled pink is PMDG's introduction of the Datalink Communications feature. I seen it in live use while sitting in the jumpseat the other day on a WestJet 737, I watched them receive there flight plan as well as there takeoff performance data while doing there preflight. I understand there would certainly have to be some limitations to this feature in the FSX world, but I do think it would be possible to receive weather data via ACARS and possibly even oceanic clearance or pre-departure clearance if it just pinged back what we sent. My guess would be PMDG has enabled the use of ACARS to provide weather data via ASN.  I am very interested in this feature and how it will be integrated into our 777, perhaps one of the beta testers can touch on this, another question I have is how does one do a SELCAL check. Is this also done via the FMC/ACARS/CPDLC. Best regards happy landing everyone.

How did you get into the jumpseat of a WestJet 737? I have often thought of trying (My wife and I usually take a vacation with them once a year), but I thought since 9/11 there would be no way in the world, so I have never even tried.

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but you got me curious (and a little bit excited if I could actually pull it off).

Thanks!

Just to take your input a bit further. It would be cool if the Datalink Communication would be not only compatbile with Acitve Sky Next but online air traffic control too. For example on Vatsim you wouldn't have to use the vPilot client in order to send your message to the air traffic controller but you could send it via datalink.

Just some food for thoughts. :smile:

With the new vatsim client that is in development that has CDPLC , it would be great if they could work with PMDG and integrate it directly into the 777.

All those little things would really add to the 777 experience :)

Oliver Benton

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

How did you get into the jumpseat of a WestJet 737? I have often thought of trying (My wife and I usually take a vacation with them once a year), but I thought since 9/11 there would be no way in the world, so I have never even tried.

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but you got me curious (and a little bit excited if I could actually pull it off).

Thanks!

I asked the flight attendant if I could take a picture of the flight deck as we were boarding, after talking to the crew for a few minutes the captain invited me to have a seat and watch them do the preflight up until we were ready to push, at that point I had to go back to my seat. Fortunately I had happened to have a video feed I recorded with my Iphone of the NGX, the captain was impressed, he wanted to come over to my house and see it after I gave him the details.  Did the same thing on the return leg, very nice flight crews.

With the new vatsim client that is in development that has CDPLC , it would be great if they could work with PMDG and integrate it directly into the 777.

Even if you could request your clearance and after a minute or two you get the return message bounced back with your clearance followed by the chime sound would be great, although I am assuming it is gonna be modeled for checking your ATIS at your departure or arrival destination via ASN.

That would be nice. Even if they just leave it to someone else to make it via SDK.

Well Froogle's video certainly answers a lot of questions. This was exactly what I was watching the WestJet flight crew doing the other day during there pre-departure prep. Now if we could just get PMDG to set up a small update later on to include the CPDLC. I think to some extent it could even work with the default ATC, for example Flight level changes, or pre departure clearance request, I mean the default atc sends a text message across your screen, could this not be implemented into the FMC or the lower EICAS screen via the COMM page.

Will this feature also be available for the NGX?

I imagine that it will be, considering they mentioned they want to push the weather radar back into it.  I'll wait for them to post an official list, but in my opinion it'll be in there.

Kyle Rodgers

I imagine that it will be, considering they mentioned they want to push the weather radar back into it.  

They did mention that? Awesome!