Sign in to follow this  
Jetspaul

SP1 Datalink Communications

I imagine that it will be, considering they mentioned they want to push the weather radar back into it.  I'll wait for them to post an official list, but in my opinion it'll be in there.

Fingers are crossed brother! 

Thanks!

Now froogles video did not explain any thing can someone be kind and post a video that shows how to set it up and go a little more in depth? I was the original person that wanted a video and I still have no clue how it actually works.

Basically it works almost identically. They just added that ding dong sound and you have to wait for uplink and downlink, realistically.

Basically it works almost identically. They just added that ding dong sound and you have to wait for uplink and downlink, realistically.

Not quite...

Now froogles video did not explain any thing can someone be kind and post a video that shows how to set it up and go a little more in depth? I was the original person that wanted a video and I still have no clue how it actually works.

I'm somewhat worried that this might come across the wrong way (OMG Froogle released something, and then Kyle did right after!!!), and I'm somewhat worried that mine won't produce any extra detail, but just in case, have a look at mine...it might answer some:

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle!  That first 300ER flight with FS2Crew will probably be as real as it gets on a computer, for me.  Maybe the only thing missing will be VATSIM CPDLC.

sig01.png

Not quite...

How is that?

All I can see is new - is that I already said + pef init and des forecast datalink. Don't get me wrong I find it neat.

Wind in flight update is nice, but planning software should assign expected wind for waypoint ETA already. Sure, with new forecast cycle, it's going to change a little bit, but not so much.

Thanks Kyle!  That first 300ER flight with FS2Crew will probably be as real as it gets on a computer, for me.  Maybe the only thing missing will be VATSIM CPDLC.

Welcome.  Yeah, a CPDLC client integration would be pretty cool.

All I can see is new - is that I already said + pef init and des forecast datalink. Don't get me wrong I find it neat.

Wind in flight update is nice, but planning software should assign expected wind for waypoint ETA already. Sure, with new forecast cycle, it's going to change a little bit, but not so much.

Sorry - didn't think you were dismissing it.  Just stating disagreement, albeit rather briefly.

The DES FORECAST feature has been added (and the WIND feature in general has been fixed/changed to be able to be updated)  With flights lasting upwards of two to three wind data cycles (they're good for 6 hours), requesting new information is rather important to ensure your actual data is more accurate than your planned data.  Additionally, the added ability to update the wind is a new feature, and that's extremely important for the DES FORECAST.  As it stands, you're pulling it in right at the beginning of your flight.  On a 14 hour flight, you're in your third wind data cycle by the end of it.  I can guarantee the DES data you initially pulled in is going to be different.  That's more than enough time for a frontal system to pass through an area, so the wind could be drastically different.  So, both the DES feature, and the ability to update are huge, in terms of new features (eliminates the guesswork of entering the data, too).

The PERF INIT stuff isn't huge, given the existing "cheats" of double clicking ZFW, and so on, but it's still a nice feature to help avoid looking at the dispatch sheets (printed or otherwise) to pull in the data and not feel like you're cheating.  It definitely adds a little immersion.

The ROUTE REQUEST feature has been given an entire overhaul, and the explanation that was sent out with it was pretty in-depth, in terms of how you can pull up or filter through various plans.  Since I won't do it justice paraphrasing here, I'll just leave it at that until you get it in official documentation when it comes out.

One of the features that none of us touched on was the ALTN feature, which is updated via datalink push every so often, which will require you to go onto that page as well and proof/accept them.

Extra Info / Disclaimer, and a note to head off some of post-release "bug flagging:"

These are company options.  Some planes will have them, some will not.  Some will have default CIs at value X; some will have values Y, Z, Q, and R.  If you notice a plane doesn't have the feature you were expecting, go into the PMDG SETUP> menu and have a look to see it's enabled.  Remember that those with the little notepad icon in the Ops Center have confirmed, accurate setups to what the real operator uses.  As such, some of, or all of the datalink features might not be there.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks!!!

Best Regards.

Not quite...

I'm somewhat worried that this might come across the wrong way (OMG Froogle released something, and then Kyle did right after!!!), and I'm somewhat worried that mine won't produce any extra detail, but just in case, have a look at mine...it might answer some:

WOW!! Thanks so much for doing the videos guys... This stuff looks fantastic! 

The DES FORECAST feature has been added (and the WIND feature in general has been fixed/changed to be able to be updated)  With flights lasting upwards of two to three wind data cycles (they're good for 6 hours), requesting new information is rather important to ensure your actual data is more accurate than your planned data.  Additionally, the added ability to update the wind is a new feature, and that's extremely important for the DES FORECAST.  As it stands, you're pulling it in right at the beginning of your flight.  On a 14 hour flight, you're in your third wind data cycle by the end of it.  I can guarantee the DES data you initially pulled in is going to be different.  That's more than enough time for a frontal system to pass through an area, so the wind could be drastically different.  So, both the DES feature, and the ability to update are huge, in terms of new features (eliminates the guesswork of entering the data, too).

I agree that new, based on newer factual data, cycle will be different (possibly more accurate) than previous one, but WAFCs provide 24h wind forecast (for every 3rd hour), so flight planning software should use correct wind forecast at the time aircraft is expected to pass an waypoint. So let's say we are landing at KJFK at 1700z  - flight planning software should pull the 1700z wind forecast data (or if there is no 1700z, next available, or to interpolate) and assign that wind for descend forecast. That would prevent a frontal system to "surprise" (if frontal system can be a surprise, after all) flight crew after a long flight. In flight update is a good thing, but I do not think it's so important. Industry can easily provide realtime wind informations shared between aircraft automatically, but that would be an overkill.

That's some nifty new features!

Thanks for the videos guys :good:

Edited by 738

Chris Howard

So let's say we are landing at KJFK at 1700z  - flight planning software should pull the 1700z wind forecast data (or if there is no 1700z, next available, or to interpolate) and assign that wind for descend forecast. That would prevent a frontal system to "surprise" (if frontal system can be a surprise, after all) flight crew after a long flight. In flight update is a good thing, but I do not think it's so important.

Forecast will never be as good as actual/reported (even if it's down to every 3rd hour).  Sure, the flight planning software should (and does, in the case of ActiveSky and PFPX, though the former isn't so much a planner, if you will) grab forecast wind appropriately, but the ability to update should not be overlooked.  That's almost like (and I know this is quite a bit of overstatement) saying "looking at the radar at departure time is good enough - we don't need weather radar in planes."  Weather changes - and on some days, rather dramatically.  Airlines operate close schedules.  Knowing the aircraft's ETA to the minute could mean an airline making a choice to let some passengers misconnect, or hold another flight because the arriving flight's passengers could make it and it would only mean a 5 min gate hold.  Using the originally scheduled information, where the wind was forecast to be stronger, it would've been 16 (and the DOT tracks 15+ as "late").

Devil's in the details  :wink:

Industry can easily provide realtime wind informations shared between aircraft automatically, but that would be an overkill.

While it wouldn't be directly, per se, it's being evaluated as part of SWIM + NCR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Wide_Information_Management

(NCR is a bit younger, so there isn't as much info on it...basically: a data cube that will contain every bit of data possible as a single point of reference for NAS-related querying)

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you Kyle!

I like the ding-dong sound (same as cabin ready). Nice feature to play that sound more often :)