Sign in to follow this  

I enjoy Flight Simulation ... the great debate

Excellent post, Rob.

"Our sources appear to have been incorrect about the announcement at E3. We will update the news when we hear more."

Okay. Avsim apparently knows who it was rumored to be.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Yes, I'm surprised you missed it David, it was all over the site for a week. :smile:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"Our sources appear to have been incorrect about the announcement at E3. We will update the news when we hear more."[/size]

Okay. Avsim apparently knows who it was rumored to be.

Yes, I'm surprised you missed it David, it was all over the site for a week. :smile:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what this has to do with the excellent OP. Let it be. If and when a new FSX is ever developed we can then discuss that topic again.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean too Jim. My first post was a nod to the idea of getting out all my flight sims, a bit of added humour. In my second post I was relishing the OPs comment since there has been a lot of enthusiasm recently regarding the improvements to X-Plane, P3D, and the recent furore of enthusiasm concerning the possibility of MS FS being progressed in some way. If my answer to David's seemingly innocent question opened a can of worms somewhere, that's merely an unfortunate coincidence of the AVSIM search engine coming up with that link first. Agreed; I took no part in those discussions that you raised such concern over.

Thank you for posting Rob. Great read.

I am very happy with my FSX DX10 currently. It has never run better. I was tempted to try P3D V2, but my GTX 580 would not cut the mustard from what I have read.

As for using fsx in Dx10, it is in between DX 9 and P3D and is a good compromise.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

What a nice positive chat for a change! For me, I really enjoy my 'Golden Wings'. It's a regressed version of FS9 (1930-1940). I love the low 'n slows, props, sea planes, etc also the scenery & planes from www.ford-tri-motor.net. Not forgetting Milton's stuff, amongst many others. I also have 'normal FS9 as well as P3Dv1.4 (my laptop does not have DX11). 

Is it a game? a simulation? Who cares, as long as I can fly in my imaginary world. I do not care if I dont have the fastest PC, the highest frame rates, the latest whatever. As long as what I have can capture my interest, I'm happy.

So, you dont have to have the biggest, fastest & latest, you dont have to be always waiting to see & hear what the next big/greatest thing is going to be, enjoy what you have. 

Happy landings,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Things have never been better. I've been enjoying flight sims since getting the Amiga 500 back in 1988. Nothing beats P3D v2 though, and with a little bit of ORBX magic it is almost as real as it gets, finally. But now it's summer and I'm not doing any virtual flying - I prefer the real thing. Happy and lazy days to you all, and try to get away from the computer will ya'!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

One of my all time favourites was AV8B Harrier. You managed Ai Harriers setting off making sorties from your carrier, as you moved it around with a small fleet. You made more of a difference by flying some of the Harriers and making more accurate use of your weapons.

I love the low 'n slows, props, sea planes, etc also the scenery & planes from www.ford-tri-motor.net.

The Tri-Motor, I do miss that aircraft ... I swear I've registered GS of 0 on a good head wind with that aircraft :)

I wonder if anyone has done a modern blimp?  There used to be one that toured around the Bay Area and we were thinking of taking our employees around for a day tour as a morale booster but abandoned the idea because of various insurance issues around it (which was a shame).

Cheers, Rob.

I know I could easily be happy the rest of my life with my current suite of flight sim software: Rise of Flight, DCS, Battle of Stalingrad (in development), FSX and P3Dv2.2.

If I had to stop there, it'd be more than I could master in my remaining years.  I'm actually at a point where I may do just that; there are a few incremental add-ons I'd consider, such as ORBX's landclass stuff when it's finalized, but really, what's out now is about all I could ever have imagined it might be.  And I started with all this a long, long time ago, when microcomputers (as they were then called) were first invented. :)

I was tempted to try P3D V2, but my GTX 580 would not cut the mustard from what I have read.

Not true at all.   I couldn't be happier with mine and as long as you don't expect all sliders right, its more than capable of handling any current add-on - Majestic Dash 8 and the AXE included.

Not true at all.   I couldn't be happier with mine and as long as you don't expect all sliders right, its more than capable of handling any current add-on - Majestic Dash 8 and the AXE included.

Cheers Dean, thanks for that .

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Is it a game? a simulation? Who cares, as long as I can fly in my imaginary world. I do not care if I dont have the fastest PC, the highest frame rates, the latest whatever. As long as what I have can capture my interest, I'm happy.

So, you dont have to have the biggest, fastest & latest, you dont have to be always waiting to see & hear what the next big/greatest thing is going to be, enjoy what you have.

+100

That's the most sense I've read around here in a long time!

Regards,

Joe Esposito