Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Nerd3 Plays Xplane10

OH, I have been getting emails about it and thought it was spam from a NZ webb address so just deleted them with out looking.  :rolleyes:

Trevor Golding

What species of eagle is that? 

It's known as "BET Eagle"

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I saw the ad for Austin's new driving sim game on the Appstore and honestly the first thing that came to mind is seriously......you couldn't have spent that time actually working on X-plane as I'm sure Xavion, Xplane for IPAD, and now this are not what's keeping the lights on. How much resources were wasted on an app driving game. Focus Austin, Focus!

It's not a game!   Its a driving simulator, that runs on a phone.  I thought the same, is that why I had been reading he has been more hands off xplane?  

Something else got his fancy?   You would get a bit burned out doing the same thing for all these years.   I find it hard to finish one project before starting the next :)

Worst review I have ever seen, the reviewer is an idiot.

The guy isn't reviewing the software. He's pretty much made a name for himself on YouTube by playing games all day and talking/joking around, he's very rarely serious and his videos should be treated as such. I'm sure he purposely does things to make the videos funnier, and some of his other simulator videos are hilarious to watch  :P

If you think Nerd cubed is a reviewer, LOL.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

This here is even better:

Surely that must be a gross modeling error. I honestly know nothing at all about X-Plane modeling, but for all FSX/P3D modeling, the absolute limits of animations are "set in stone' via the animation tracks created in Max, GMax or FSDS.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was gonna post this but Nerd can Cuss' and I'm uncertain where the line is. Hilarious as always.

And he's actually a pretty good barometer about how your average steam purchaser might react.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I was gonna post this but Nerd can Cuss' and I'm uncertain where the line is. Hilarious as always.

And he's actually a pretty good barometer about how your average steam purchaser might react.

Sure, and it is funny... but X-Plane doesn't need to appeal to "your average Steam purchaser" to be successful on that platform. Steam is huge, and it hosts many niche simulation areas besides the usual AAA shooter and RPG stuff.

In the Steam ecosphere, there are car racing fans that are just as serious about simulation as flight simmers. There are a few hardcore, realistic combat flight sims like Rise of Flight. And even things like Kerbal Space Program, which has a cartoon side but underneath it's a decent simulation of orbital mechanics. 

Steam doesn't need to attract the Call of Duty players to make it worthwhile being on that platform. If a few Rise of Flight and similar sim players give it a shot, that's enough to expand the number of X-Plane users beyond what limited exposure it had in the overall marketplace before now. Negative reviews from people who obviously don't grok what a civilian sim is trying to do, won't matter to that audience.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

you couldn't have spent that time actually working on X-plane as I'm sure Xavion, Xplane for IPAD, and now this are not what's keeping the lights on. How much resources were wasted on an app driving game. Focus Austin, Focus!

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about LR ... Focus indeed.

I'm interested in seeing how the balance of reviews turns out over the next few days and what the word of mouth will be in other venues.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I saw the ad for Austin's new driving sim game on the Appstore and honestly the first thing that came to mind is seriously......you couldn't have spent that time actually working on X-plane as I'm sure Xavion, Xplane for IPAD, and now this are not what's keeping the lights on. How much resources were wasted on an app driving game. Focus Austin, Focus!

Agreed !! (He could have spent that time working on the sim). I tried the driving simulator last night, and it's awful !! I can't see anybody spending any money on it. Maybe he is hard up for some quick cash.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about LR ... Focus indeed.

And everyone of us is focussing only on his flight sim (whichever it is) and doesn't do anything else (like playing other games, reading a book, going outside, ...) :lol:.

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about flight simmers .... Focus indeed :P.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

This is perhaps my biggest complaint about flight simmers .... Focus indeed

Huh -- this doesn't really make any sense?

LR sells the product -- we as consumers purchase the product for hobby/pleasure ... are you trying to dictate how people should enjoy themselves?  Or are you making a sweeping generalization that because people enjoy flight simulation they don't read books, go outside, or do other things?  I have no idea what other people do with their time, but I'm curious how you would know?  

For LR it's their working life ... their job, they produce the flight sim call XPlane ... so yes they do need to focus on that as they are a tiny group of developers trying to sell product to make money.  Unfortunately Austin does NOT need money, he's set for life financially, so working XPlane is really optional for him, not sure about Ben and others?

I enjoy flight simulators, flight, auto racing, hiking, biking, staying fit, vacations, international travel, my wife, and much more but what has this got to do with product focus?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: my passion for flight simulation also got me motivated to go get my real world PPL with FBO at KCCR ... I hope flight simulation can do the same for others but I'm certainly not trying to dictate what other's "should do" with their free time, to each his or her own -- but again nothing to do with LR's focus.

Huh -- this doesn't really make any sense?

It was only an answer on your posting, but the other way round (probably a kind of humor?).

LR sells the product -- we as consumers purchase the product for hobby/pleasure ... are you trying to dictate how people should enjoy themselves?  Or are you making a sweeping generalization that because people enjoy flight simulation they don't read books, go outside, or do other things?  I have no idea what other people do with their time, but I'm curious how you would know?  

For LR it's their working life ... their job, they produce the flight sim call XPlane ... so yes they do need to focus on that as they are a tiny group of developers trying to sell product to make money.  Unfortunately Austin does NOT need money, he's set for life financially, so working XPlane is really optional for him, not sure about Ben and others?

I enjoy flight simulators, flight, auto racing, hiking, biking, staying fit, vacations, international travel, my wife, and much more but what has this got to do with product focus?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: my passion for flight simulation also got me motivated to go get my real world PPL with FBO at KCCR ... I hope flight simulation can do the same for others but I'm certainly not trying to dictate what other's "should do" with their free time, to each his or her own -- but again nothing to do with LR's focus.

I might not be entitled to dictate the flight simmers what to do, but are you entitled to dictate LR what they have to do (even if they earn money with their job)?

Like you with LR, I also was very concerned :lol: when Porsche slackened their focus on the Porsche 911 and decided to build e.g. the Cayman, Boxster, Panamera, .... And not only they slackened their focus on building cars, but decided to sell also clocks, bikes, .... As they lost their focus, they fell far behind other car manufacturers which don’t sell clocks, bikes (e.g. Tata Motors, Premier Automobiles, …) .

Like you, I also think that it is a big mistake, if companies decide to build and sell additional products, they should only do ONE thing and NOTHING else – right? rofl_2.gif

I am amazed on every occasion, how people know what is the best for other people or companies. Like I said in a different thread (Attention!! Humor !!), “As I know better than themselves, what is good for Porsche, I told them hundreds of times to build an VW Golf to sell (many) more cars, but those idio.s refused to do so.” Now they have to bear the consequences, don’t earn much money, and the company goes down the drain.

BTW, I also was a real pilot, and just today I finished my first (real) helo flight.

Discussion finished.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...