Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Emergency Landing Caught On Tape

I leaned to fly on a C150 and still have my checklists and took the trouble to check them before posting and got the numbers right for a C152.

Well so do I...

So if this is the case, that you learned to fly in a C150 and had any experience with engine out procedure, it is very petty to say:

Or do you Shutdown your aircraft with the "Touchdown-SLIGHTLY TAIL LOW."

It also looks very ignorant, because when do you not touch down  "tail low"?

The "Shutdown" is to lessen the chance of a post impact fire.  All those items are memory items (as I initially posted) because just as seen in the video, sometimes you don't have time to screw around pulling out a checklist.

So if this is the case, that you learned to fly in a C150 and had any experience with engine out procedure, it is very petty to say...

is it not petty to say that an instructor didn't know the difference between a Shutdown checklist and a Forced Landings Emergency Landing Without Engine Power checklist?

is it not petty to say

Yeah... it is... because I term it one way (and listed what is to be done) and you don't like my "title"... fine by me.

You win again.

From the right seat while controlling the yoke would have been an amazing accomplishment (switch is lower left of left side yoke).

Actually no WarpD... C152, for example, you literally sit "shoulder to shoulder"... easy enough for the right-seater to reach over and get to the mags. 

Even on like the Cherokees with fuel selector on the left side wall (by the legs) you just lean over and a "excuse me" to the left-seater and do what needs bein' done.

What an incredible display of calm and professional cool.  It was his demeanor that gave confidence to the student, that 'they will make it, ok'.  Wow....I guess, it's truly all about training...constant training for the inevitable day this might happen to any of us....and hopefully, only in a virtual environment, not as this was....! 

He ended up in the trees because his landing was way too fast. And as said before had the ditch been any larger they wouldn't have walked away!

What "ditch?" I never saw one. I still wish that he'd pulled the GoPro out and shot some footage of the exterior. Those trees are so small and flexible they stopped the a/c like running into bungee cords...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, the ditch is where they might have ended up if they had not made the right final to the trees...from the pic by Chris Bell. Those who would have tried for the field beyond the ditch might have had to negotiate the ditch. Another reason for the final right turn??

Arguments aside, experience and drills teach to put it down safely and quickly, Short/Soft field technique with tail low and full flaps just prior to touchdown is proper in this situation . B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

What "ditch?" I never saw one. I still wish that he'd pulled the GoPro out and shot some footage of the exterior. Those trees are so small and flexible they stopped the a/c like running into bungee cords...

A line of trees often indicates at least a depression. Usually a ditch. He landed way too fast and got away with it. Had he landed at the correct speed he would have stopped well short. When one is piloting a light aircraft, the passengers are admiring the view whilst the pilot is always looking for a possible landing field. Once he made the decision to crash land then he should have shut the engine down and landed at the proper speed.

Even with partial power the correct procedure at least for Uk training: normal checks during the approximate  "downwind" leg are replaced with "security" checks. Being turning off fuel and ignition, harnesses tightened, master switch turned off after final flaps selected. Arrive at the 1000ft agl point and commence your turn onto base leg tightening or widening it in response to your glide to ensure  touchdown approximately half way down the field. Once landing assured select full flap. If it is apparent that you are still going to hit and obstacle like trees etc then initiate a ground loop.

So Bill, he got away with it. He didn't though, follow the procedure as taught in the UK.

something i have learnt in my trainingg was Aviate navigate communicate.

intial actions commited to memory. CMFIT:

• Carb Heat
  • Mitxure
  • Fuel -pumps primer, cock, contents
  • Ingtinion
  • Throtle

Plan lanfding site

then communicate

For an instructor to do what he did in a flight test under simulated conditions would he have passed his flight test.

Yes they were lucky but from my opinion he could have done better, given he never committed to the landing as he was pumping throttle all the way to the ground almost, what if engine came back and he was close and flew it in to ground because of momentum.

I would be hoping the instructor get remediatl training as he was very lucky not skilled.

what if engine came back and he was close and flew it in to ground because of momentum."

He kept the throttle off towards the end, and even braced his finger between the console and the throttle knob to make sure it was all the way out.

He kept the throttle off towards the end, and even braced his finger between the console and the throttle knob to make sure it was all the way out.

The correct procedure though is that once committed to a crash landing fuel and everything is cut. To avoid a fire at the very least. The only reason he ended up in the trees was that he landed much too fast. Had there been unseen uneven ground they would not have walked away.

The whole point of an unscheduled stop drill in a field is to minimise as much as possible any risk of fire, of damaging the plane and the occupants. Follow the correct procedure and you can pretty much guarantee walking away from the scene. Otherwise you take a risk that you might not!

The rapid right turn just before landing appears to have been a last minute decision by the pilot. I suspect that he intended to land in the long field, but maybe he spotted something that we can't see in the video footage?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I was thinking about the longer field. What if it was watered, or muddy, or otherwise not solid?

Deos the video show the ignition being switched off?

Deos the video show the ignition being switched off?

At the end, you can see the instructor switching off the master and going for the ignition

I understood that the ignition switch is on left hand hand of the panel on a C152. What time is the ignition switched off?