Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Shouting and Forum Etiquette

Shouting or posting a Topic Title or post in ALL CAPS is considered in forums around the Internet as being very rude (it really hurts the eyes too). We won't tolerate it here either and AVSIM moderators will be looking out for topics or posts that are in all CAPS or excessively using capital letters. It's not a problem if you use all caps for emphasis (i.e., AVSIM is the BEST website on the Internet) but excessive use of caps will result in the topic or post being removed by our moderators. We would also appreciate our membership to be on the lookout for these types of violations and use the AVSIM Report System at the bottom of each post to bring the violation to our attention.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

When I bought my first Computer back in the 1970's it only had CAPS......man computers were so rude in those days, how did we ever manage back then  :lol:

Matthew Kane

When I bought my first Computer back in the 1970's it only had CAPS......man computers were so rude in those days, how did we ever manage back then  :lol:

Yeah, and we were told that 64KBytes of memory was all we would ever need. Anymore than 64K was a waste of silicon. Imagine flying any of the recent sims (i.e., since about 1995) with 64KBytes of memory today... :Cuppa:

Yeah, and we were told that 64KBytes of memory was all we would ever need. Anymore than 64K was a waste of silicon. Imagine flying any of the recent sims (i.e., since about 1995) with 64KBytes of memory today... :Cuppa:

Well Tom, I had a BBC computer and flew a flight simulator and an ATC programme with only 28k memory! Na na na nanaa as they say ^_^  Oops sorry ATC an BBC were in caps!

Are you sure it was 28K? I had the Model B+ which was 64K (and then a 128K version came a little later which if memory serves was not very successful). My son and I spent all our time playing Elite - now Elite Dangerous is on our list. Hope the profit on (virtual) narcotics is still as attractive.  :blush:

Are you sure it was 28K? I had the Model B+ which was 64K (and then a 128K version came a little later which if memory serves was not very successful). My son and I spent all our time playing Elite - now Elite Dangerous is on our list. Hope the profit on (virtual) narcotics is still as attractive.  :blush:

Absolutely it was 28K. It did have another 28k shadow memory. Which is what your thinking. The programme though ran in 28k. The flightsim was written in BBC Basic and then converted into machine code. The memory remaining was no more than two lines of code. I always rememer how smooth it was compared to the early sims on other platforms.

I have always my old Spectrum Sinclair 48Ko with Psion Flight Simulation (my first computer sim), Fighter Pilot and Tomahawk from Digital Integration.

It still worked perfectly there a few years. One day soon I would do a test. 48K! in seventies/eighties the programs were clearly optimized at that time :lol:

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I agree that caps are irritating and bad form. Please, by all means, remove this annoyance from the forums. It hurts my eyes. That said, I can't see myself reporting another member for such a transgression. I'll save that for truly inappropriate or offensive language. At the end of the day, if something becomes bothersome, but not hurtful or malicious, I ignore it and move along. Otherwise, I'd spend my days correcting others' bad behavior. EVERYTHING annoys me.

Maintaining a healthy forum is not easy. Keep up the great work.

And get off my lawn!

I agree that caps are irritating and bad form. Please, by all means, remove this annoyance from the forums. It hurts my eyes. That said, I can't see myself reporting another member for such a transgression. I'll save that for truly inappropriate or offensive language. At the end of the day, if something becomes bothersome, but not hurtful or malicious, I ignore it and move along. Otherwise, I'd spend my days correcting others' bad behavior. EVERYTHING annoys me.

Maintaining a healthy forum is not easy. Keep up the great work.

And get off my lawn!

I'll have to report you for using caps!!! :mad: