Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Still Trim issues with Sp1b

What the OP and myself are seeing is reference speed trim setting not taking effect until the yoke or joystick are released to neutral, trim reference speed not responding at all to trim switch input, and erratic/unpredictable trim reference speed response to input settings.     I'm sorry, but given PMDG's year-long struggle with the entire manual pitch trim issue, I cannot simply accept that we who are collectively experiencing the aforementioned problems are only plagued with specific individual hardware issues.   

I've personally tried using three different joysticks and two different control yokes made by both CH Products and Saitek, respectively.     Individual use of all of these various controllers result in the manual pitch trim anomalies I described in the above paragraph.     The same hardware works excellent with the PMDG 737NGX without any issues at all.

I suggest the problem lies in a remaining coding error on PMDG's part and that the issues being experienced are in fact universal among all 777 customers.     Apparently, there are relatively few PMDG 777 users who actually hand fly their simulations except for brief periods during takeoff and approach phases of their flights.    

I humbly suggest anyone who doubts my conclusions to try hand-flying their 777 sim from takeoff all the way to cruise altitude (i.e. no autopilot use whatsoever).    The initial pitch down at acceleration height right after takeoff should immediately manifest the trim issue in question.     It simply cannot be done consistently without using the 'cheat' on the ADI speedtape, and this is just not right.     The 777 should trim as effortlessly as the 737NGX, but it unfortunately never has.     

Signed,

Arnold Bruce

Some users are clearly still having problems but I don't think that is to do with the simulation but with the hardware being used and set up inside and outside the 777.

Precisely. It's system specific.

Works great for me.

Trimming works perfect for me and as expected if am honest... 

I suggest the problem lies in a remaining coding error on PMDG's part and that the issues being experienced are in fact universal among all 777 customers. Apparently, there are relatively few PMDG 777 users who actually hand fly their simulations except for brief periods during takeoff and approach phases of their flights.

I humbly suggest anyone who doubts my conclusions to try hand-flying their 777 sim from takeoff all the way to cruise altitude (i.e. no autopilot use whatsoever). The initial pitch down at acceleration height right after takeoff should immediately manifest the trim issue in question. It simply cannot be done consistently without using the 'cheat' on the ADI speedtape, and this is just not right. The 777 should trim as effortlessly as the 737NGX, but it unfortunately never has.

Signed,

Arnold Bruce

Many people who do hand fly are reporting no problems trimming. So while there may still be software issues, such as being able to trim opposite to column input, the fact is it works well for these users including myself. People who never hand fly after takeoff will never notice trimming problems so aren't replying to these threads.

Assuming the software is the same for all that leaves two possibilities. Hardware set up, including null zones in CDU, or pilot technique. Getting the null zones right can be crucial.

Or possibly it's an installation issue. Has anyone affected by this tried a clean reinstall of the RTM version then applied SP1b?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Trim works fine for me too, the only thing I would mention is sometimes trim inputs aren't picked up, but that could be my Saitek joystick...

Trim works fine for me too, the only thing I would mention is sometimes trim inputs aren't picked up, but that could be my Saitek joystick...

Viola, that's the problem Matthew, among many others.     If your Saitek is messed up, then my CH Yoke and my Saitek yokes are both messed up, along with my Saitek X-45 and my CH Fighterstick Pro.     It is not your hardware at fault. and it is not my hardware that is at fault.     Therefore, trim does not work fine for you; rather, you are simply not as bothered by the errors.     Nothing personal!    :mellow:

Manual trim on the PMDG 777 does not work correctly; it has never worked correctly from the very beginning, and sadly, we appear to have reached PMDG's technical ability to resolve this at present.     Maybe PMDG could sub-contract a more skilled programmer for a future update, otherwise this issue will likely never be resolved.      Sad, but this is the way things are these days.      

Signed,

Bruce Arnold

Assuming the software is the same for all that leaves two possibilities. Hardware set up, including null zones in CDU, or pilot technique. Getting the null zones right can be crucial.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you in any other situation, but all of this has been tried before.     The fault lies on the PMDG side.    

Signed,

Bruce Arnold

I would wholeheartedly agree with you in any other situation, but all of this has been tried before. The fault lies on the PMDG side.

Signed,

Bruce Arnold

I don't see how you can conclude considering many people are reporting no problems with trimming. How can the code be right for them and not for you? Software isn't like that.

Your comments about PMDG hiring more a competent programmer are beyond belief. How can you be in any position to suggest such a thing? Anyway a programmer can only code what the systems analyst tells him/her.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Maybe PMDG could sub-contract a more skilled programmer for a future update, otherwise this issue will likely never be resolved.      Sad, but this is the way things are these days.      

I'll make sure to pass your resume along since you appear to be so knowledgeable and/or skilled enough to pass judgments on it.

If you're seeing verifiable and repeatable issues, I suggest submitting a ticket about it so that it can be fixed, instead of casting aspersions - blindly, I might add.

Kyle Rodgers

Manual trim on the PMDG 777 does not work correctly; it has never worked correctly from the very beginning, and sadly, we appear to have reached PMDG's technical ability to resolve this at present.     Maybe PMDG could sub-contract a more skilled programmer for a future update, otherwise this issue will likely never be resolved.

Is that a fact!!

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up Bruce  :im Not Worthy:

I'll make sure to pass your resume along since you appear to be so knowledgeable and/or skilled enough to pass judgments on it.

I'm a rube, Kyle, that's for darn sure, and you are right in calling me out.     The fact is that if I had tried to to program something like a 777 FBW system for FSX myself, I probably would have accidentally released a C* control law system like the Airbus that autotrims instead of the 777 C*U that requires conventional manual trimming.     I mean, we can just assume I'd do something stupid like that with my inexperience, right?    

And then, with my fledgling programming skills and superficial knowledge of aerodynamics and physics, it would have probably taken me another entire year to get it 'right'.     Then of course I wouldn't get it right, and I'd probably do something stupid like accidentally reverse the trim reference speed function and have to release a SP1B patch since I really couldn't be bothered with testing the original fix that took me a year to get right in the first place.     I'm a busy person!    Please don't judge me!

Now I'd realize that there is still something very wrong with the trim system but I'd like to kind of sweep it under the rug and pretend that it works perfectly, despite customers repeatedly telling me it wasn't fixed, because I'd rather just ignore it for now and maybe eventually fix it in a SP1C patch down the road.     Perfection is consuming!!!    I need to work at a relaxed pace with plenty of vacation time and  without troublesome customers breathing down my neck all the time, whining about it not working right.     

Thanks for setting me straight.     I've never fully embraced what PMDG is up against in this merciless business of FSX add-ons, and I will fully admit that I could not handle it personally.     My hat is off to them and I see the whole situation in another light now.  

Signed,

Bruce Arnold

Bruce, you could at least get your facts straight. SP1 didn't reverse the trim reference speed function. It was only tested in one direction and was faulty in the opposite direction. SP1b addresses that successfully for most of us. Your problem is most likely a set up issue. It's rather arrogant to assume your situation is the norm and therefore is something to be addressed by PMDG.

The way your carrying on you'll get the thread locked instead of allowing continued mature discussion.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Sorry UT did any of you having an issue try setting a null zone within fsx advanced controls menu, not in pmdg settings? I had the same issue mentioned and doing that resolved it for me, unless you talking about something else

Hi Luke, do you have FSUIPC, installed?

Thanks.

Miquel Egea.

Nah I don't