Sign in to follow this  
daniel_schm

Clouds kill FPS in 2.3

I thought that you were already happier than a happy person on happy pills sitting on a bench in Happy Park singing "Happy days are here again"?

Chris...I'm a happy guy, always happy to see any happier avenue to pursue....nature of the beast, according to my wife..... 

Other impressions: this is not a negative consideration, but a neutral one and need to be investigated. I have noted a significant less cloud coverage.

Same here - but it's based on one very preliminary test (I ran into unrelated hardware issues - pot failure on my rudder pedals - that I need to deal with).  But flying local (severe) weather yesterday evening with Beau's fix in place, volumize restored and settings per Arwen's suggestions, I had dramatically improved performance but lots of holes in the overcast.  However, that might be the result of variations in local METARs as the front came through.  Will continue to explore. Overall I'm happy with the performance gains and can manage to live with whatever shakes out on the cloud cover side of things.

Chris...I'm a happy guy...

Overall I'm happy...

So everybody's happy? Right on! I'm happy too. I just lit the BBQ, my dogs are stoked as well (but they don't seem to care much about P3D v2.3, lol). Looks like we're just a happy bunch! :smile:

I'm happy too. I just lit the BBQ

Jim you're the only sensible one hereabouts.   <_<

Having to go to work.

Good one Chris - hear you on that one

Rich Sennett

Tweak sure as heck works all around. 30fps in KDPX airport with real weather (broken clouds)

Second test - continued good results with ASN, cloud coverage density on maximum, smooth frames in the 20s and 30s under a pretty decent overcast in the Washington, DC area.  Better overcast representation this time than my first time out.  As suspected (and not at all surprisingly), ASN is METAR-dependent, so if reporting stations aren't current, there'll be holes or discrepancies in coverage.  Had some of that today, but when the overcast showed up, it looked decent and didn't compromise performance much if at all.  Overall, the latest fix seems to be a good thing, for me at least.

Second test - continued good results with ASN, cloud coverage density on maximum, smooth frames in the 20s and 30s under a pretty decent overcast in the Washington, DC area.  Better overcast representation this time than my first time out.  As suspected (and not at all surprisingly), ASN is METAR-dependent, so if reporting stations aren't current, there'll be holes or discrepancies in coverage.  Had some of that today, but when the overcast showed up, it looked decent and didn't compromise performance much if at all.  Overall, the latest fix seems to be a good thing, for me at least.

I'm at Max as well now with the fix...and if you also add Duke's A.I. Optimizer (that is...if you use A.I. at all...) I climbed 10-12 FPS....BOOM....right off the bat, and have stayed there.  With the cloud fix....clouds at max...90 miles out...blah, blah...today I was at 14 FPS, just sitting at my parking position. I had A.I. at 35 percent. (MyTraffic 5.4c)  In about 90 seconds, the FPS just jumped..I had not even moved...just jumped to 23...I have a pic to show that...and since installing and running this program...on my flight today down the west coast and into Mexico....P3D has been trying to bust my lock-down of 33 FPS via the Precision X frame limiter.  It has been so steady and constant...no matter what clouds I was flying through, or weather build up...that I now have Vegetation Shadow both casting, (which was shut off) and receiving which was always on.  My v2.3 FPS performance is simply amazing, post cloud fix (did not touch volume...only the math (0.5,0.5 etc) and now by adding in the program to cull and delete A.I. flights that don't interact with your visual immersion anyways.  It doesn't kill all the flights, but only keeps the ones that will interact with you...visual, and A.T.C.-aural.

It just keeps getting better and better by the day it seems....some very, very clever coding people (like Duke!) are making P3D a capital P in the word;  premier flight simulator!!!

Mitch

I just got around to trying the GetScreenQuadSize and VOLUMIZE tweaks tonight. I went from ~18fps dipping through the layer in the "Fogged In" weather theme to my locked fps of 40. Very nice!

I just got around to trying the GetScreenQuadSize and VOLUMIZE tweaks tonight. I went from ~18fps dipping through the layer in the "Fogged In" weather theme to my locked fps of 40. Very nice!

Add the A.I. Optimizer and it will boost your resources even further...  Of course this has nothing to do with clouds...but both mentioned, affect your FPS outcome. Just a suggestion....

Add the A.I. Optimizer and it will boost your resources even further...  Of course this has nothing to do with clouds...but both mentioned, affect your FPS outcome. Just a suggestion....

AI Optimizer - whats this Mitch - thanks

Ooops just found a thread on it

Rich Sennett

TrackIR is a little pricey, but it's worth every penny. Unless you are running three really big monitors, there is no other way to get the full impact of P3d except with TrackIR.

Hello jabloom, by chance do you have the Duke V2 or Caranado Phenom?

I'm wondering if you have a screen shot of the VC when using the TrackIR. I have something similar and I noticed that with the head tracker active, there is shimmering in the small lettering of the VC. However, when I turn the head tracker off, I have no shimmer at all.

My shimmer is definitely caused by my head tracker. I have been thinking of purchasing teh TrackIR V5 for this reason, but if the shimmering is still there...no need to purchase...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5