Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Patch Failure - Unhappy with LM

They've already installed the full version and are flying.

Let it go.

Cheers,

Mark

This.

Mike,

I too could not get the patch to work even though I followed Rob's instructions to the T.  LM clearly states on the patch download page that the full reinstall is the their recommended option.  So to LM's credit they are being upfront with their faith, or lack thereof, with the patch.  I tried the patch one time, it didn't work, so I performed the full reinstall.  Reinstalling P3D is actually a quick and painless process.  However, as with many others, I have a significant number of addons that then take a significant amount of time to reinstall but I can't fault LM for this for the reasons Rob mentioned in post.  I choose to have those addons and therefor have to understand that they may not be compatible with each new version of the sim.

After reinstalling V2.3 and performing several successful test flights I began adding the various addons that are supposedly compatible; however, I started to incur crashes immediately after the scenery/autogen load counter.  So there are other addons besides ASN that are not currently compatible.  The following is what I had installed prior to receiving the crashes:

1. FSUIPC beta f

2. GSX

3. Rex (latest version)

4. Accufeel V2

5. EZDok Camera 1.17

6. Accusim C172

7. Realair Lancair Legacy

8. Aerosoft Airbus X w/ FS2Crew

9. Majestic Dash 8 w/ FS2Crew

10. Pilotedge Client

11. Estonian Migration Tool (latest update)

The crashes have occurred regardless of which plane I was attempting to load, including default aircraft.

Since you have several of the same addons that I have, it is almost certain that there is an issue with one of these addons and I am now in the process of sorting out which one is causing my crashes before I add anything else.  The bottom line in my opinion is that without the addons, V2.3 worked flawlessly and I can only conclude that the patch would have worked fine if it wasn't for an incompatible addon. Therefore, I can't fault LM for this. The people with successful patch stories probably had no incompatible addons. I certainly understand your frustration with the patch process but at least we have another platform that is in continuous development. I would rather have LM focus their resources on this development than delaying updates because a patch may not be compatible with an addon that they have no control over. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's just my two cents.

Good luck,

Ryan

Ryan

Hi Spirit,

I'm really surprised that you are not even curious about all this as you do seem to spend a great deal of your time trying to help others on the forums.

Hi Mike,

unfortunately it's not only the question for curiosity. If it would be that way then I would already eagerly "surf" through your log-file, but it's a question of special, internal knowledge which I don't have. I may spend one day or more digging through the log and the result would be only frustration on my side. That's what I call "Monkey Business". Sorry, to say that.

There are others which doubtlessly would have a chance to get a clou about the ongoing process. My recommendation: Let the LM boys do their work, they should know it best.

Good luck

Spirit

I followed Rob's advise which worked in the sense that the patch installed and did not produce any crash so far. Instead, I get horrible stutters, where 2.2 was completely fluent. And no, the NI profile is de-activaed. Might be one of my addons, but don't ask me which one. So, might come down to a full install after a few hours of fiddling around with the patch.

Given LM produces 4 point versions a year this means 4 days a year (yes it's that much work, includ re-downloading of all the FSDT stuff etc.) of my short life will be wasted with dull re-installs. How plausble this may seem from a developer's POV, I still have to digest it.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I used to write software for a large defense contractor not named Lockheed Martin. Not in the simulation arena, but in the realm of flight. We provided no upgrade path. When we released a new piece of software, you reinstall your operating system and then all the building blocks for our software and then our software. ... I'm not saying that it isn't obnoxious, though.

Respectfully, Nathan, you talking about a dedicated vertical system, and we are talking about basically a game. Please don't start picking up rocks guys, Prepar3d is a wonderfully immersive, accurate and beautiful emulation of real flight which has obsessed me, and millions of others for decades… Nonetheless, The same quality of immersive "simulation", could be said for Skyrim or for that matter any other top 3-D adventure, or first person shooters or MMO games extant, and they have historically patched pretty well.

P3D, works in a general operating system that does everything from word processing to video editing, to any of the myriad capabilities, Windows applications afford us.

Yes, the coding that Lockheed Martin has delivered has been remarkable, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily have expertise in the code swapping spaghetti mess of upgrading their software.

It is not unreasonable for us to expect a company in whose products we have invested, to do one of two things;

1. Wait ...until they are assured that proper beta testing for every upgrade is done. That means working with a reasonably large and diverse BETA testing group of CONSUMERS, and by working in close concert with a core cadre of the major contributors to the P3D franchise, like Orbx, Carenado, PMDG(I hope! I hope! I hope!), the major weather generators, or scenery devs who so vastly contribute to, and enhance the platform...even if that means a delayed delivery.

2. Learn from the other major publishers, how Unobtrusive, non-destructive upgrades are done.

To play devil's advocate though, I confidently submit that there is not another piece of software IN THE WORLD , outside of an operating system, that has so many add-on developers.

I/we need to remember that we should NEVER, EVER purchase or upgrade to an x.00 version of anything.

Perhaps this time I have… I am going to wait to upgrade for a while, for this 2.30 upgrade to sort itself out...to meet my reasonable expectations when I take the plunge.

So, thanks to all yoose stalwart, bleeding edge souls, who are willing to walk through the quagmire of up-grade-dom. I'll learn from your efforts and results, good and bad.

Lockheed Martin has provided me with an absolutely wonderful meal of beautiful, performing, flight simulation in version 2.2 ...I can wait for the dessert.

Regards to all,

Chaz

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Perhaps this time I have… I am going to wait to upgrade for a while, for this 2.30 upgrade to sort itself out...

You are going to have a very long wait if that is your expectation.

2. Learn from the other major publishers, how Unobtrusive, non-destructive upgrades are done.

Please please read what I wrote (I swear, sometimes I think if I write something longer than 2 sentence it gets completely ignored), it will help you understand the issues and maybe even drop your expectations down a notch ... other major publishers don't have an SDK with 1000's of 3rd party companies working over 12+ years on it.  Other major publishers have over 1000 resource (artists, programmers, deployment programmers, etc. etc.) working on their "game" (that was the head count for Crysis).  LM do have more resources than I thought working on P3D, but they don't come close to 1000 resources.  It's is best to dial one's expectation into the reality of the development situation.

How is LM supposed to update something that is NOT theirs?  3rd party?

But to be frank, this is a very predictable response ... many have come from a static FSX platform that didn't change for 7+ years, and now that change IS coming people are having a hard time adapting to that change.  Pick any version you like 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 64bit ... they are all changing ... it's a brave new world for "this path" of flight simulation.

The alternative is ONE update a year ... I can guarantee you that will not fly with the majority of people investing time and energy into this platform.  If you've noticed many P3D high maintenance users start chanting "End of World, P3D is dead, LM have abandoned us" if they don't here anything from LM within 2 weeks ... I've seen plenty of these threads ... 1 year would put them over the top and hanging from a bridge ;)

Cheers, Rob.

1. FSUIPC beta f
2. GSX
3. Rex (latest version)
4. Accufeel V2
5. EZDok Camera 1.17
6. Accusim C172
7. Realair Lancair Legacy
8. Aerosoft Airbus X w/ FS2Crew
9. Majestic Dash 8 w/ FS2Crew
10. Pilotedge Client
11. Estonian Migration Tool (latest update)

1.  Pete just got back from vacation, so he will be making a FSUIPC for v2.3 very soon (probably today).

2.  GSX is working for me - you need to download the latest from Virtuali

3.  REX 4 Texture direct SP3 is working fine for me

4.  Accufeel v2 is not support in P3D V2.x but it is working for me

5.  EZDok is not supported in P3D V2.x but others seem to have it working

6.  I think you mean A2A C172R?  If so, it's working fine

7.  Haven't tested it, but it was working V2.2

8.  AXE works in P3D V2.3, don't have FS2Crew so don't know

9.  MJC Q400 is working fine in P3D V2.3, however the large pylon/bridge issue from some views is still present and MJC are wokring on a fix

10.  Don't have so not tested

11.  Don't use but I believe there is an update for it for v2.3

Given your list, it sounds like you don't have SimConnect client installed or you're missing your SimConnect.XML and/or SimConnect.INI.

Cheers, Rob.

A patch has NO control or understanding of 3rd party add-ons. LM can only work from what they know and produce.

But, in your directions Rob you state to delete the folders that have the scenery.cfg, the dll.xml, the exe.xml, the Documents/P3D Files, etc., after backing them up. So the patch should not be seeing any addons installed. It should show that P3D is clean when you have none of those files.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I installed the patch with no issues. I decided that I wanted to be SURE any garbage was cleaned out so I uninstalled and did a full install. One took minutes, the other took hours. Not a big deal.

If there were NO other upgrade path, it would be an issue.

You know what I see coming from this thread and the one at LM?

No more patches other than a minor "hotfix". Personally, I don't mind a full reinstall and would prefer it.

That would remove all the patch complaints.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

9. MJC Q400 is working fine in P3D V2.3, however the large pylon/bridge issue from some views is still present and MJC are wokring on a fix

Rob, Majestic have posted a 1.011 beta version on their website in the user area. I haven't tested it myself, but others are reporting good results.

Jazz

I know you are a busy chap but I wonder whether you might be prepared to look at this file for me?

That log doesn't say much at all?  It's very short and not your typical length for an installer log.  Is there something longer and more verbose you have?

Anyway, I must admit, I'm a little confused ... it seems you have spent hours and hours posting about your patch problem on multiple forums, surely it would be easier (and less time consuming) to just do LM's recommended process of a wipe and re-install full?  Many people have successfully patched, so whatever the issue, it's specific to your environment.

I've done a full install (about 8 or 9 times now) from scratch with hundreds of add-ons (yes I do mean hundreds), got them all configured and working -- I usually do it while I'm working on real work stuff (coding) and it takes about 3-4 hours (5-8 hours if I'm distracted).  This includes Orbx (airports, regions, vector, etc.), REX, Virtuali, FSDT, FB, Aerosoft, Flight 1, Carenado, Alabeo, Captain Sim, LLH Creations, PILOTS, Quality Wings, RealAir, Sim720, UK2000, OpusFSX, FSUIPC, Linda, Majestic, Flight Replicas, A2A, FlyTampa, ASN, MilViz, MSE (easy as you really don't need to uninstall them, just re-add in scenery,cfg) and many more.

Your struggle is up hill because you simply refuse to believe the recommend route is a full install.  Like I said, the patch release was a surprise to me ... I guess LM released it for those with less complex installs (i.e. Base product no add-ons) as a possible alternative.

If you want to continue to try and figure out why the patch isn't working for you and share your findings, that's certainly a noble cause.  But, it's a cause YOU will have to undertake and figure out ... your solution is just that, yours.  Otherwise, unless you have considerable technical knowledge and the tools necessary it will be very difficult for you to figure it out and you need to decide if you really want to spend the time on it.  On one hand you seem to indicate you want to figure out the problem, but on the other hand your asking others to figure out  your problem ... so your message is very mixed.

If you don't want to tackle finding out why the patch didn't work for you, then your solution is (recommended):

1.  Wipe, and full install

2.  Re-install your add-ons

I would however highly recommend you make a backup of the 5 key LM directories so you will at least retain the references to the key files I mentioned at the start of my thread about patch/install.  I would also recommend you use a Compare products so you can see side by side file compares of those key files (I use a product called UltraCompare).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, Majestic have posted a 1.011 beta version on their website in the user area.

Thank you, excellent ... I noticed Oleksiy has been busy.

But, in your directions Rob you state to delete the folders that have the scenery.cfg, the dll.xml, the exe.xml, the Documents/P3D Files, etc., after backing them up. So the patch should not be seeing any addons installed. It should show that P3D is clean when you have none of those files.

Yes and no on the "clean" ... this is why LM suggest deleting those directories (which many didn't and just applied the patch) ... LM doesn't attempt to try to deal with all the 1000's of possible add-ons ... the problem there -- what about all the other directories that aircraft/scenery/weather install into ... they are still there, but try to load up an aircraft (which you can post patch) that requires those now wiped DLL.XML entries and it crashes.  And then there is the question of BASE files that get changed, if one doesn't do a repair first those base files will remain and the patch will either fail or just write over them and one will end up with a mix and match of base files and 3rd party files.  And finally there is the issue of the patch will clearly not work on "hacked" prepar3d executable (yes this is a sad reality also).

And then there are those that have patched from 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 with the only full install being 2.0 ... my process would ONLY work from a full 2.2 install.  I certainly didn't test every possible variant starting from 2.0 full ... sorry I'm just NOT going to do that. 

Like I said, I was surprised to see LM release a patch ... I can only assume they did so for customers that have a base install with no or very limited add-ons and/or for customers that have a very good working knowledge of P3D and know how to manage a "reset" state.

Personally, I would always do a full wipe/install (it's LM's recommendation and it's mine).

Cheers, Rob.

Given your list, it sounds like you don't have SimConnect client installed or you're missing your SimConnect.XML and/or SimConnect.INI.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I think you may be on to something here.  I remember not having the SimConnect.xml or the SimConnect.ini "key files" to move back when trying to apply the patch.  Since I then performed a full reinstall, would these files be replaced or do I need to install the SimConnect client (not sure what that is or where to get it).  

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it could help the OP (or someone else).

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan