Sign in to follow this  
charleslee201

Where is P3DV2.3 better than FSX Dx 10

Liking the new multiquote feature.

...which has been here for years already LOL

I don't care for SLI right now because I don't have the funds (and power unit) for an extra GPU (although if SLI arrives, I might look into it) and frankly right now I also don't really care about 64bit: I fly with almost all settings right and on and high and VAS barely touches 2.5 GB (with the Cherokee and (at the moment) Global+Vector+OpenLC. I can't even force an OOM if I wanted too! But maybe this has to do with the fact that I am not a big fan of add-on airports and airliners... (Maybe VAS will go up if I buy a plane like the Q400). If LM could squeeze just a little bit more performance out of the code, I'd be even more happier but the flights I've done last week had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish so... P3D 2.3 is THE SIM for me. The popping autogen in FSX alone is enough to never ever touch FSX again. Or the cloud shadows, which are absolutely amazing and REALLY make a world of difference imho: another reason why FSX is a sim from the past for me. FSX DX10 was nice when there were no other options but it's incomparable with P3D 2.3. 

Or the cloud shadows, which are absolutely amazing and REALLY make a world of difference imho: another reason why FSX is a sim from the past for me. FSX DX10 was nice when there were no other options but it's incomparable with P3D 2.3. 

Well DX10 is stutter free lol

André

DX10 is also:

- Cloud shadow free.

- HDR free (unless you install hacked DLLs).

- Non-popping autogen free.

Just saying...

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The direction LM has taken has allowed us to realize increased scalability while at the same time increasing immersion.... So at the end of the day, no matter which you prefer (performance vs immersion ), you are better off than prior versions!

Well done LM!

To capitalize on both however still requires number crunching power. As that it is increased, whether by the gpu or cpu OR better code, the results can only be better!

As for legacy support, to me that's is less of a priority given that that for many of those add-ons, they are stuck in the past and cannot take advantage of new features. As devs take advantage of current day features those older addons will begin to really show their age. Hey, DOS was a great thing,!!!

I have been posting this but falling on deaf ears - you have to find the sweet spot in your fps slider in p3d for each specific aircraft - I see no stutters when I do this - not ideal but it works

Rich Sennett

Thanks Buddy - to be honest I find that tool confusing ? I must not be smart enough  :)

There are other tools too. You've to google a bit.

Spirit

I managed to get my P3D V2.3 stutter free but there was such bad performance on complex aircraft in payware scenery and with weather that I've gone back to FSX DX10. Performance is significantly better plus AA works properly but without out as much eye candy such as HDR. For VFR flying I prefer P3D but for heavies and IFR it has a lot of catching upto do.

P3D is no different than any other flightsim. You have to make compromises on which settings you want to run. For low and slow, I crank it up; shadows, reflections, bathymetry, water detail to max, etc. For flying high and fast in a phd, I turn off or turn down the stuff I don't need, ie, reflections, and water detail set to off or medium, respectfully. P3D has never let me down in the immersion factor. 

Jazz

I have been posting this but falling on deaf ears - you have to find the sweet spot in your fps slider in p3d for each specific aircraft - I see no stutters when I do this - not ideal but it works

It's also true that making a blanket statement like "DX10 is stutter free" is rather silly. FSX in DX10 mode is prone to stuttering behaviour on certain PCs just like FSX in DX9 mode or P3D.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

DX10 is also:

- Cloud shadow free.

Just saying...

Care to check out my pics over at Orbx? In the thread "Oh, Man"? What do you see there? Yep, cloud shadows. In FSX DX10. OK - so it is provided by a third-party addon, but it is possible. And the HDR effect can be achieved as well... Non-popping autogen is something that I really have to concentrate on with a LOD-radius of 6.5.

And all of that is stutter-free.

Cheers

Mallard

DX10 is also:

- Cloud shadow free.

Just saying...

True but I won't trade smoothness for anything else ;-)

Just saying lol

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciated however there is a bug in the terrain engine ;-)

André

If LM could squeeze just a little bit more performance out of the code, I'd be even more happier but the flights I've done last week had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish so.

I'm not in the must have 64bit now camp.  They're doing a great job tightening up performance without it, and that's what matters now anyways.  memory is not the only thing you need to have good performance.  GPUs and CPUs just aren't there yet to make 64bit make that much of a difference yet.  OOMs are an error handling issue, not a memory issue. 

Care to check out my pics over at Orbx? In the thread "Oh, Man"? What do you see there? Yep, cloud shadows. In FSX DX10. OK - so it is provided by a third-party addon, but it is possible. And the HDR effect can be achieved as well... Non-popping autogen is something that I really have to concentrate on with a LOD-radius of 6.5.

And all of that is stutter-free.

Cheers

Mallard

I stand by my statement... Prepar3D has those three, FSX with DX10 does not.

As has already been stated by others. Neither FSX nor DX10 are guarantees of stutter free.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69