Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

PMDG 777 Immersion

Yep, that works for me. But would also like to see some updated sticky or list so that we know ... something PMDG could keep updated as new products come out?

Cheers, Rob.

Not quite sure that would be too effective. For one, people barely ready the stickies to begin, but the larger issue is that one can't keep a list of things one doesn't know. Officially supported products, like FS2Crew, note that they are endorsed on their products pages. That should be enough. At least in my own mind.

Kyle Rodgers

EULA violation = no support, so PMDG would be under no obligation to respond ... but I am very curious why you don't want this to be discussed in PMDG's own forum?

There are implications now with existing products and it'll certainly set a "tone" for any future products that might use files documented in the FSX/P3D SDK.  I think discussing this would be healthy for the community and PMDG's existing and future customers.  Like I said earlier, I didn't bring up this EULA discussion, Kyle thought it important to remind customers and given PMDG's recent past they do appear to be VERY concerned with such activity.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

It's not that I didn't want to see it discussed in the forum, far from it. But I felt if you wanted a definitive answer a support ticket was a better way than using the forum. As you say, Kyle first raised the issue. However what is permitted and what isn't remains unclear.

Yep, that works for me. But would also like to see some updated sticky or list so that we know ... something PMDG could keep updated as new products come out?

I think that's an excellent idea.

ki9cAAb.jpg

With respect I think you are misreading it. That's easy to do. The point is FS2Crew uses the PMDG SDK. Thus it doesn't change any PMDG code.

This is correct.  

Not sure how or why this thread is turning into an FS2Crew thread, but FS2Crew (at least with the 777 and NGX for example) uses the PMDG SDK to interface with the aircraft.

FS2Crew has been working with PMDG for around 10 years  B)

It does, take a look in Panel.cfg. You will see a number of modifications made by the FS2Crew installer.

You will find  but iam sure, some  one can correct me here,  is  changing  a  code is a lot  different  than just adding  a few lines in the Panel  cfgs

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The PMDG EULA prohibits changing files already ("You may not alter, (...) or otherwise modify any portion of this software except (...) "). You can change files without changing (C++/XML) code; the panel.cfg is a good example for that.

Anyhoo, Kyle has put things straight already.   B)

And so is the price.

That's your opinion. For example, mine is that the add-on is worth the money, even though there may be some (small) inaccuracies within it.

even though there may be some (small) inaccuracies within it.

Any examples?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I had noticed a few small things last time I simmed ( which has been a while ago by now, unfortunately), but I can't seem to remember all of them now. One of the things I noticed was, like Kyle said, the vortex coming from the wingtip. Having watched quite a few planes land in foggy conditions over the years, I haven't often seen the wingtips generate a vortex, mostly they seem to come from the edge of the flaps. I seem to remember some things not being 100% aligned either, but that's just nitpicking.

I had noticed a few small things last time I skimmed ( which has been a while ago by now, unfortunately), but I can't seem to remember all of them now. One of the things I noticed was, like Kyle said, the vortex coming from the wingtip. Having watched quite a few planes land in foggy conditions over the years, I haven't often seen the wingtips generate a vortex, mostly they seem to come from the edge of the flaps. I seem to remember some things not being 100% aligned either, but that's just nitpicking.

Vortices can be seen coming from the wingtip on takeoff when the flaps settings are under 15*

Ex: 

Effect alignment might be off in some occasion because of the way FSX positions the effects on the aircraft. In parts of the world in one particular heading, the engine condensation might be off by maybe 6 inches where elsewhere in the world, it might be aligned perfectly. Unfortunately, this is hardcoded in the sim and this is not something we can fix.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

While I certainly won't claim it can never happen, I just said I haven't seen it on the raked wingtip. As far as I know, only the -200LR (and freighter) and the -300ER are equipped with the raked wingtip. I have seen the effect a few times on the "non-raked wingtip aircraft", though.

Then again, that's why I haven't complained about any of the things I saw, because I certainly won't claim they can't be correct.

While I certainly won't claim it can never happen, I just said I haven't seen it on the raked wingtip. As far as I know, only the -200LR (and freighter) and the -300ER are equipped with the raked wingtip. I have seen the effect a few times on the "non-raked wingtip aircraft", though.

Then again, that's why I haven't complained about any of the things I saw, because I certainly won't claim they can't be correct.

Your explanation seems pretty good to me. We haven't considered racked wingtip!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Guys - for those of you using the FS2Crew example, all you're proving is that you do not read and do not understand anything about what's going on.

The important thing to pick up on here is "without permission." If you want to argue, do so in an educated fashion or refrain from posting. That may be harsh, but it's getting ridiculous (it's also a forum rule to post facts to the best of your knowledge - this may mean refraining from posting if you're out of your zone of knowledge).

It's up to the developer to ensure they are approved to make modifications to things, which they should then make clear to their potential customer. FS2Crew has permission to modify the files they need to modify, and they make it clear that they're officially endorsed. Move on.

Kyle Rodgers

all you're proving is that you do not read and do not understand anything about what's going on

Yeah, welcome to the Internet.