Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

More pix of my weird clouds in V2.4

the first pictures look like the cloud planes are aligned with the viewport from the forward view, but should be rotated so that they face the camera if it is rotated.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. LM seem to have made changes in 2.4 as clouds at a certain distance seem to face the position rather than the viewpoint, preventing more distant clouds from spinning so much - there may be other changes to close range sprites too. It seems the clouds will sometimes stick in their original position and not realign to face a change of view.

I don't use a weather engine, and see this with custom weather, so it not something WX engine vendors are causing. LM seem to be trying to improve the problems many experience with the spinning clouds, and this may be a side effect of this ongoing process.

What's weird is that I've never seen them in FSX, FS9 or V2.3 then with 2.4 here they come almost each flight being in NorCal or PNG :)

It happens in FS9 too. More often when there is rain about. My thinking is that it is intended to simulate showery rain. But it's not always very convincing.

Same here. Vertical and sometimes rotating clouds. Much more present in 2.4 than in 2.3. ASN 7/8 on or off - I see no difference. Does the v2.3 cloud.fx really reduce that issue?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Same here. Vertical and sometimes rotating clouds. Much more present in 2.4 than in 2.3. ASN 7/8 on or off - I see no difference. Does the v2.3 cloud.fx really reduce that issue?

Harry

I have reverted to 2.3 cloud file and have not seen any issues now - I have force BKN on not sure if it matters

Rich Sennett

Thanks Rich. Will try that too and report back.

Harry

Confirmed. Vertical clouds issue is gone. I used v2.3 cloud.fx file with "line 301 ... quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 );" tweak. Terrific clouds with ASN and REX 4.

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks Rich. Will try 

Confirmed. Vertical clouds issue is gone

Excellent News

Rich Sennett

Didn't work for me. Still get them.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'll give this a look tonight. I've never seen any overly stretched clouds in one axis over the other, but I have seen the billboard rotating of clouds as they try to rotate to look at their target object. I see this more when I have the wide angle setting checked or zoomed out futher than I should be, otherwise it's not a noticeable problem.

I'm not seeing so many vertical clouds since doing a full install of V2.4 after the FTX Global patch broke my sim.

They are less apparent with the default P3D clouds but I prefer using HDE which look more realistic.

Haven't tried with the V2.3 cloud.fx file as I deleted it when I installed the full V2.4. Fool!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I'm not seeing so many vertical clouds since doing a full install of V2.4 after the FTX Global patch broke my sim.

They are less apparent with the default P3D clouds but I prefer using HDE which look more realistic.

Haven't tried with the V2.3 cloud.fx file as I deleted it when I installed the full V2.4. Fool!

You need it pm Me I can send it to you

Rich Sennett

I did a compare of the old and new cloud.fx file and there were only 3 changes. I undid them one by one until I was back at the 2.3 state. Rebuilt shaders every change. Vertical clouds were still there every time. I really don't think the "old" fx file fixes anything.

Do wish LM would find a solution though. I know they've been around since FSX but it appears to me that they increased in 2.3 and further increased in 2.3. Evidently I didn't see them enough in pre 2.3 to notice.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I did exactly the same and had identical results Vic - "flat" clouds sometimes with both the 2.3 and 2.4 fx files.

If someone could just setup an initial non-weather engine based save file that shows the vertical clouds in slew mode with a default aircraft, we could all test various fixes easily.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

It happens in FS9 too.

+1.

Very rare these days.  More prevalent in the early days of FS9, weather engine or default.

Hi,

Where can I find this cloud.fx file?

Sorry, i found this!