Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

iFly's new 747

By present trend, pmdg 747 should be released at august or September 2015. Of course, that's just a trend, and doesn't mean anything, but it's good estimate.

I'm not really interested in 747, as T7 is enough to keep me busy, but I think ifly does a good job. Their product will be superior in every aspect compared to 8 years old pmdg model.

The 777 isn't an airplane it is an oom simulator.

I hope they learn from this with the 747, but it wont be released until next spring or summer at the earliest.

The pmdg is showing its age, many things not simulated, low res textures. Rather have a 757/767 but a new Queen is great... wonder what other models iFly plans.

The 777 isn't an airplane it is an oom simulator.

I hope they learn from this with the 747, but it wont be released until next spring or summer at the earliest.

The pmdg is showing its age, many things not simulated, low res textures. Rather have a 757/767 but a new Queen is great... wonder what other models iFly plans.

honestly, i have no OOM probs with the 777 more than with any other plane. So for me it is surely not an OOM simulator....

Carsten U

Same here.i don't think  the ifly 747 looks any better than the pmdg. I think  ifly's exterior looks way worse.Maybe the Vc is a bit higher def but that is it.Not interested at all.

So then why are you here in this topic if you are not interessted and just says like "pmdg look better, pmdg is better etc."?

Your behavoir is called "trolling"

Your behavoir is called "trolling"

Don't think so. I just shared the same opinion as the  member I quoted. When I said "not interested at all" I meant in buying. I should have it made clear sorry ?.I 'm interested in this thread. Just like I'm interested in knowing why  would anyone buy this  plane since we already have the older pmdg. 

Just like I'm interested in knowing why  would anyone buy this  plane since we already have the older pmdg. 

Why would we buy PMDG 737NGX when there already was ariane design and ifly at the market?

Why would we buy A2A Cessna 172 when there already was an default cessna 172?

Why will we buy new FSLabs A320 when there are Aerosoft and BBS airbuses at the market right now?

I believe there is default Boeing 747 in FS2002, why would anyone bother to make a new one?

Reason is simple, newer is usually better; takes in account newer hardware, new software, pushes the limit with new techniques of programing and 3d modeling, more data about aircraft is available...

Just like we do not running 2008. PC configurations, we do not run 2008. simulations.

Don't think so. I just shared the same opinion as the  member I quoted. When I said "not interested at all" I meant in buying. I should have it made clear sorry ?.I 'm interested in this thread. Just like I'm interested in knowing why  would anyone buy this  plane since we already have the older pmdg. 

Because the old PMDG bird's VC looks horrid! I love 744's but don't have one in my hanger because I wouldn't enjoy flying a plane with such out dated visuals.

What your saying is kinda like saying The British already had fighter planes, Sopwith camels why did they even bother to upgrade to Eurofighters.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I cannot fly the pmdg 777x unless I have 0 AI traffic, and only activate the departure and arrival addon scenery. No other plane gives me oom issues. I wonder what the vas of the ifly is, would be nice to see a comparison in future.

I cannot fly the pmdg 777x unless I have 0 AI traffic, and only activate the departure and arrival addon scenery. No other plane gives me oom issues. I wonder what the vas of the ifly is, would be nice to see a comparison in future.

Do you use photo scenery? And do you have a 64bit OS?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Do you use photo scenery? And do you have a 64bit OS?

I am an experienced computer user so I know what I'm doing. No photo scenery, normal autogen, yes win7 64bit

I put my cloud resolution down and other tweaks but no luck. I dont want to derail this topic any more, I just hope iFly has low vas usage.

This is only my opinion, and I rarely get a chance to be debbie downer so here goes...

Looking at the screenshots of the VC, in both FS9 and FSX, one thing I can't help but notice is the resolution is identical...Seems good right? Not quite, the only way I can imagine they achieved this is by using a maximum texture resolution of 1024x1024; the highest supported in FS9. To achieve the resolution I'm seeing in those screenshots they would need A LOT of 1024 textures (talking 40+). This in turn means lots of materials/drawcalls to render, which alone could potential bring the sim to its knees. I am also seeing some insanely detailed modelling (check the COMMS panel on the center console; the 'notches' to the volume knobs are modelled). It looks fantastic, however that many vertices in such potentially small screen-spaces could mean the model will be highly transform-bound (another large performance hit).

Hopefully I can be proven wrong, but I remember the 737NG from iFly had a VC with half a million vertices (most virtual cockpit models do not exceed 200,000). They will also no doubt be drawing the gauges in GDI+ rather than better performing, but FSX-only alternatives such as D2D.

TL;DR: A visibly high vertex count, up to 16x the normal amount of textures, and not so ideal gauge-drawing for FSX = I'm extremely doubtful the performance will be acceptable. However I would be EXTREMELY happy to be proven wrong when this bird releases!!

Jordi Blumberg

This likely points to your system being significantly under-powered by average standards of the day.   

Would you be preapared to post your system specs, so we can see whether there is an odd issue here, or whether it's just that your specs are a little under for a state-of-the-art addon like the 777 ?

PS.... I'm not mocking you if your specs are a little low.    My system is probably below average now;  i7 2600k 3.4Ghz, with 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI 7850 2GB and Win 7 64bit, but I run the 777 pretty well.   I have to comprimise with some settings, but I don't get OOMs and I run 25% AI traffic.

Anyone looking for a proper 747-8 by the way? :smile:

Yes, me.

iFly 737 has got fantastic reviews on for example Mutley's Hangar (10/10) and other sim portals. I belive that iFly 747 will be fantastic as well. PMDG 747 is a very old bird - it was released in 2007! Ages ago when you look at hardware inside your computers and when you compare it to one year old 777... Don't forget about other factor - price. iFly announcement stated that when you choose more than one platform you can count for noticeable discounts. PMDG statement on the other hand was not so pleasant for ours wallets - we need to buy FSX and P3D version separately :( Maybe something will change after pllaned for this week PMDG annoucement :]