Sign in to follow this  
NicolasTAP

New Nvidia driver 344.48 - WHQL

The use of SSAA on compatible models still improved the view with DSR.

Unfortunately DSR seems to be somewhat buggy or doesn't like SLI ... and I've started getting g2d.dll errors when switching from pseudo full screen to regular window in P3D ... yes "g2d.dll" not "g3d.dll".

I was able to get DSR working at 4X but ONLY when P3D is initially set to 3480 x 2160 ... then while in P3D I select 8xxx  x 4xxx resolution.  But here is the kicker, I MUST switch back to 3840 x 2160 prior to exiting P3D or the next time P3D starts with DSR on it will reboot my PC with my monitor saying "unsupported resolution".

But after comparing the DSR 4X image vs. using SGSS AA ... as you point out SGSS AA still looks better in all situations/aircraft.  I did notice that DSR 4X did perform better.

Think I'll go back to the 344.11 drivers.  DSR seems to be a bust for my hardware setup (SLI Titan blacks) and the "g2d.dll" errors are show stoppers for me. 

Cheers, Rob.

Woops. Let me back up: it's late and I omitted a key word in the context of "placebo" (thanks Mitch for pointing this out): I exclusively meant performance-related placebo. I can't speak to any quality advantages as of yet as I haven't run any titles and don't currently have P3D installed (changed out some hardware and wiped Windows). So sorry for that. I'll edit my prior post to make that clear.

Just ran a set of 3DMark11 benchmarks so everyone can see what happens to your GPU capability at the various multiplers (all of which were run with 33% smoothing). I'm sure the GPU (780 Ti) almost baked in the process:

Multipler       Score       % of Base

Base             5291             n/a

1.20x            4308            81.4%

1.50x            3594            67.9%

1.78x            3129            59.1%

2.00x            2819            53.3%

2.25x            2541            48.0%

3.00x            1949            36.8%

4.00x            1440            27.2%

These are only the graphics scores since we're obviously not concerned with my CPU or memory.

I will say that in staring at the benchmarks, I didn't exactly notice much difference in the quality but I'm certainly waiting until I get P3D back on in order to pass judgment with an actual non-benchmarking title.

Have not verified GPU memory usage in the same manner.... yet...

Okeedokey...noted.   A performance 'placebo'... I can't comment upon, but the visual...is simply stunning!  My FPS are not hurting one iota at 2 times my native rez.  Best thing since sliced bread.....

I've gone back to the laptop driver. I don't know why but it's the only driver that gives me high FPS without any stutters.

before I dl the new driver to implement the DSR, can anyone tell me what resolution to set my monitor to get the best result. Currently I have it set at 1920x x1200. What can I realistically set it to. I have a 660ti ready superclocked and 18g Ram with an I5 3570k?  many thanks,

Unfortunately DSR seems to be somewhat buggy or doesn't like SLI

..as you point out SGSS AA still looks better in all situations/aircraft.  I did notice that DSR 4X did perform better.

Yes I've found with the Carenado B1900D, the rivets finally look good zoomed out with any level of DSR, as long as I've applied SGSSAA. With my 1900x1200, I've settled on 1.5x DSR for the time being. Could be we need an iteration or two from those drivers before stability sets in with SLI.

Best.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

before I dl the new driver to implement the DSR, can anyone tell me what resolution to set my monitor to get the best result. Currently I have it set at 1920x x1200. What can I realistically set it to. I have a 660ti ready superclocked and 18g Ram with an I5 3570k?  many thanks,

Today with LCD screens, you should set the native resolution of your monitor/display. nVidia DSR creates a virtual resolution unable to get really displayed  by your monitor. Roughly, the nVidia driver creates images in this higher/virtual resolution then downsample it to the the real. This is all this process and the internal algorithm that provides for certains configuration good looking pictures without too much performance impact.

For eg. my screen has a best and native resolution of 1680x1050. I set the DSR multiplier to 2.00x. The virtual Dynamic Super Resolution is 2376x1485.

Yes I've found with the Carenado B1900D, the rivets finally look good zoomed out with any level of DSR, as long as I've applied SGSSAA.

On my rig, I found that SGSAA is an important fps killer. I still testing different level. What is your feedback concering the performance impact of SGSAA + DSR ?

Unfortunately DSR seems to be somewhat buggy or doesn't like SLI ...

Could you give us some detail concerning the uncompatibility with SLI + DSR ?

I have two 770 configured in SLI. Yesterday, I use the regular Prepar3D.exe (not the AFR-FriendlyD3D.EXE) nor have set SLI value in nVidia Control Panel (or NVi) and set DSR. P3D seems running fine but obviously I'm not using both GPU. How do you enforce SLI ? Thru the AFR-FriendlyD3D.EXE or SLI AA in NVi or the SLI parameter (force alternate rendering) in nVidia Control Panel ?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

SGSSAA is performed at the pre-rendering stage on the objects in the sim, only needed with certain objects, and is proportional to the amount of or complexity of objects in the scene. Whereas DSR and FXAA is post processing and depends on the target resolutions. SGSSAA is roughly the same demands as SSAA but produces a softer result, improved with DSR since the starting image is larger.

Do you mean that all I need to do is install the new driver and then set DSR to 2 x? as I thought I needed to create a custom resolution in NVidia control panel and then apply it in P3D?. is there an idiots guide for someone who is not as savvy as the rest? many thanks.

my native resolution is 1900x1200 btw.

Does DSR works with nVidia surround and 3 monitors?

From what I've read here it doesn't. Question is if it ever will.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Still no support for mobile/laptop cards enabling DSR?

Very annoying that it first supported 970/80M cards, and now only desktop cards, including fermi and Kepler..

Would be great if nvidia (or a very kind modded...?) could enable DSR on the mobile versions of these cards..

If I understand this correctly I may not see an advantage to DSR settings because I currently use a 4K monitor set at 3840x2160 or sometimes 2560x1440 resolution, is this correct?

Nick Sciortino

1.2xDSR will improve the view on your monitor.

Do you mean that all I need to do is install the new driver and then set DSR to 2 x? as I thought I needed to create a custom resolution in NVidia control panel and then apply it in P3D?. is there an idiots guide for someone who is not as savvy as the rest? many thanks.

my native resolution is 1900x1200 btw.

I forget what my native resolution is - I think it's roughly the same as yours, on a single Samsung 24" monitor - but I selected 2x and 33% smoothing from what I recall. I then got the new, higher resolution option in P3D and therefore selected that and was able to switch FXAA off in P3D (I don't use NVidia Inspector for P3D). Not entirely sure how it would (or should) work if you don't select the new, higher resolution.

It does. You just select the oversize with each monitor within P3D.

Is it working for you? I tried that while I had 344.48 installed and the higher resolutions were not visible.