Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

Hey Anobg, I'm also running Samsung TV (32) with P3D. Make sure your TV display mode is in pc mode, otherwise your graphics will look like crap. I found that by giving the PC Mode a name (any name will do), the specific mode will kick in nicely, and your graphics will be displayed exactly like on a normal pc monitor.

Furthermore, I'm running DSR 3x native, which I found a good compromise between image quality and FPS loss.

Where can I find this PC mode, in my TV menu or in control panel? Not seeing the option on my TV.

Will try the other suggestions.

Edit: figured out how to change to PC mode by changing the tv input name. Will go try it out.

I must recant my earlier post which gave DSR a so so rating.  I took SteveW's advise, which was to leave my current AA setting alone when enabling DSR (though I did disable SSGS AA).  So now when running FSX with DX10 (Steve's Fixer) at 1920x1080, the image quality both inside and outside the VC is amazingly excellent.  With dense cloud cover my gtx 780's max usage is about 80% and without dense cover it's less than 60% using 4x @ 23%.  I found 23% to be my sweet spot: any lower it revealed jaggies and any higher blurred texture details.  In the end I might give up on DSR because the fonts and symbols everywhere, include the VC GPS, are just too tiny and it's too bothersome to have to switch between full screen and windowed just to read this information.  Unfortunately it seems that font sizes are hardcoded into FSX, for people have been asked about changing them for years with no results.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I took SteveW's advise

Thanks for the mention Rod, I'm glad you've got some good results.  :hi:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Did some testing and although setting my TV to PC and lowering the smoothness helped, still doesn't look better to me . The colors and textures still look dull where when I wasn't using DSR they were sharp and bright.

I have been using NCP global settings from beginning of this post.

Is PC mode supposed to make it blurry? I tried that as suggested and the sim is now very dull and there's no texture to things such as the runway which had amazing texture before.

Guys, if we turn off filtering and look at the sky, we can clearly see blue banding, there's no way DSR can fix that. Filtering improves the sky, reflective surfaces like wet runways, and improves the geometry of the texture projected onto the facet. So we need some acceptable level of filtering before we attempt to set AA. Even though we are going to use DSR, we must still use some degree of AA, unless we go so big with DSR that the detail is squashed out of it anyway. Instead we can set a good image quality as we did before DSR, and apply small amounts of DSR, 1.5x might be enough, 2x should be really good compared to what we are used to. We can set the DSR - Smoothness control, higher values make a softer image. What DSR does primarily is make a very cleverly accurate smaller image, if we start with a big poor image we get a smaller poor image that fits the screen. To a certain degree that can be improved with large magnitudes of DSR, but becomes taxing on the GPU. P3D degrading faster with increases of resolution than FSX due to the richer image content.

Just tried DSR with my new GTX970 card (upgrade from 560Ti)

when I tried DSR I did get a nice image (using the setting earlier in this thread,  4X AA), however, I still got shimmering.  When I went back to the older setup using Nvidia Inspector and no DSR, the image quality was much better very sharp and crisp, almost no shimmering.  I changed the bufferpools = 0 as the card should handle this and left everything else the same....the image quality is now outstanding.

I think using DSR I did get better framerates but is that just because I have reduced the AA settings ?  Some have said they run with no AA and when I tried that with DSR is was a jaggy mess.  I used 2.00 and 33% for the DSR run.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I've gone back to 1080p.

Ok, I did notice a very nice visual improvement in both FS9 and FSX at 4x/33%.  I didn't notice any fps drop, but, I was getting screen tearing in FS9.  I don't get tearing in 1080p.  Vsync always give my system an epic beat down, so back to 1080p.  The txt and menu bar was also way too small with DSR.

I think I'll wait until I get a nice UHD display to try this again.

..the image quality is now outstanding

Hey Mark, this is what I'm seeing. I Think there will eventually be a trade off between reducing AA and increasing DSR, whereby the sheer size of the image can bring down the fps. If we leave AA the same and increase image size there's simply more pixels to process into the final image. Whatever DSR setting we increase to, at least the sim does not have to fill the scene with more stuff.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

johnbla, on 26 Oct 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:
Badfinger

Thanks. Does it only work in full screen mode?

John
I believe so. Still trying to get my head around it :)

It does work in windowed mode too.  After you done with setting DSR to the desired factor (1.20 or 1.50 and so on) and setting the smoothness, click "Change Resolution" on the nVidia control panel.  Select the appropriate resolution for your monitor and apply.

Now start FSX and select the resolution (same one as the one selected in the nVidia control panel).  You should be good to go.

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif