Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

Me think he´s getting too old and very, very grumpy, LOL!

Me thinks he's 100% correct!

You need to do this:

"The one thing you have to do, after you fire up any of the sims...it works in all of them...is that you must go to the resolution window, and then pick your 1.5/2.0, etc...resolution INTERNALLY within the sim, and then press OK. If you press SHIFT-Z, in either P3D, or FSX, and see any of the two read lines at about a font vertical size of 1/16-1/8th inch in height, you are there...at a setting of 2X DSR."

Go to settings inside FSX, and choose the resolution you want to use..

This looks to good to be true IMO, but it works, thanks Mitch!

Wonder what "Old Grumpy" has to say bout this, hmmmm, hrrmphhhh, hark, hark:

http://www.simforums...topic50310.html

Me think he´s getting too old and very, very grumpy, LOL!

:lol:

Thanks.  I did what you suggested...I selected the higher resolution though my shift ZZ font size looks exactly the same.  Can't tell, yet, if it's an improvement or not.  I'll have to experiment with it...turn some NI settings down.  I don't see any framerate loss so that's a good thing.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No expert here, but I don't think it will work in windowed mode.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

No expert here, but I don't think it will work in windowed mode.

That would stink.  I only run in windowed mode...my sim even crashes if I switch to full screen for more than a moment...no idea why.

EDIT:  I think you're right.  In P3D my other monitor kind of goes blank when I run 'full screen'.  When I bring it back everything is crunched up.  Can't say P3D looks any better either windowed or not tho.  Maybe it's my NI settings.  Can't do the same test with FSX, for reason I mentioned.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Me thinks he's 100% correct!

Listen, I removed my AMD 6970 (with 3 x 23 inch LG´s in Eyefinity) - and put in a Nvidia GTX 460 (with 1 monitor) and have FSX rocksteady at 30 FPS and awesome visuals.

Did "Old Grumpy" try it? Did you?

Thanks for this heads up. I'll try later when I get home.I'd no idea the GTX580 was supported ;)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks for this heads up. I'll try later when I get home.I'd no idea the GTX580 was supported ;)

Yeppirs....500 series and up...this might save you some serious 'jingle'....

Ya'll got me curious. 

This might be in one of these threads but I haven't looked at everything. 

Will it work in Surround?  I run a 4790k@4.9GHz with a GTX 780Ti-sc (thinking about a 980) in Surround @ 5040x1050 in full screen mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer. 

Will it work for me?

Thanks

Rick S

Ya'll got me curious. 

Will it work in Surround?  I run a 4790k@4.9GHz with a GTX 780Ti-sc (thinking about a 980) in Surround @ 5040x1050 in full screen mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer. 

Will it work for me?

Thanks

Rick S

Out of my league...only a single 25 inch monitor. Somebody else will have to chime in that can answer you....

Noticed an interesting side benefit... Fraps screenshots are captured at the FSX display resolution setting rather than my monitor setting. So I can take super hi-rez screen shots (up to 4K) now. :-)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

DSR is one of those features that was technically feasible years ago.  If only..  Anyway, everyone should be able to implement DSR because it is a stone simple technology - simply upscaling for rendering and then downscaling back to your monitors native resolution for display.  No really - many hardcore gamers have been doing this for years.

Realize that there is a GPU hit in both ram and processing requirements due to the higher resolution but most cards handle these no sweat and my fps has gone up significantly.  I attest the performance increase to SLI driver improvements.  In fact this driver seems to be a great step forward.

Nvidia inspector does not have settings for DSR but they play well together. 

The thing that will really hit you with DSR is how realistic RIVETS appear.  Anyway click my website link to see a DSR shot.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Did you?

Yep and even went back to Driver 337.88 and stable NI settings for P3dV2.4 with better performance and AA quality.

Is anyone else's Prepar3D showing up blurry after selecting one of the DSR resolutions as the full screen resolution and entering full screen? I've yet to get it to look good.

Brandon Filer

Ya'll got me curious. 

Will it work for me?

Thanks

Rick S

Hi Rick,

From what I've been reading, DSR should work for surround users. Remember to set the DSR factor and smoothness in the Control Panel first then make sure you select the "new" resolution in game before going into full screen mode.

Mike

1. Pour yourself a good, high-quality beer, in a pre-chilled glass , and download driver 344.48.  Install stated driver suite.

2. Start sipping the beer, with smacking of lips

3. Bring up the nVidia Control Program, by right clicking on Desktop. Under GLOBAL advance down to the tab DSR and highlight any number of the *x settings that you will want to have that corresponding resolution for, up and beyond your native reso.  (Example: For myself, I have 1.5, 2.0, and 4.0 check-boxed, and now have three choices in the DSR section of the Control Panel , whereby you'd change Desk-Top resolution, if you wanted to do that...)  You also will now have either one, or in my case all three custom over-and-above-native resolution choices to show up in your resolution listing inside any of your sims...) Changing your entire Desktop to the new reso you want, is not required to have DSR run in your sim.  Your sim will take on that reso...and each time you end the sim session, your Desk Top will revert back to your native sim, automatically as the sim session ends. 

4. Set the SMOOTHNESS FACTOR to whatever you want, or as in my preference, I have kept it at the default 33% factor.

Press APPLY/SAVE, whatever...

5. Go to the GAME TAB, and bring up P3D, FS9, FSX, any of them you want, and make any changes that you feel you want.  DSR and SMOOTHNES ONLY is to be found under the GLOBAL SETTINGS TAB.

Press APPLY/SAVE, whatever...

6. Take another sip of that beer....

7. Fire up any sim of your choice, and when at the F.B.O. call up the running sim resolution window, and now, you should see the same exact single, or multi number of resolutions you created by use of the GLOBAL TAB in the nVidia Control Panel.  

8. Pick one and then press APPLY, or whatever is required in that sim to make the sim now USE that resolution element.  Now, if you are not already, go to FULL SCREEN within that running sim.

9. You are now in DSR mode and should see the effects of being in that mode, by smaller fonts, menus, etc...BUT the sim should be taking up the entire space of your monitor display, just as it would, if you had been running at your highest native, or lower than native, that we always could do.

10. Finish beer... before the authorities catch on to this arborant  behavior....

11. Go fly in your 'new' sim.....

12 Crack open another beer...and say: "Ah..what the h*ll, this is a simulation flown out of my den.....".

13.  Keep having fun, and rubber-necking the new detail...

14 Return ALL N.I. settings for that particular sim you want to use DSR with...to DEFAULT, or just remove that reference in the line up. DSR takes care of all the artifacts you have been tweaking your guts out for the last 15 years. In the rare case that on your system it does not, keep your tweaks to a minimum, as those that reported at first, they did not see what the hooza was all about, found out what the hooza was all about, only after removing their N.I. settings for that sim.

That's it, all in a nutshell....

Mitch

That's one of the best posts I've seen during my (looooong) time on avsim, thanks for sharing Mitch!

I shall follow your step by step instructions right now  :P

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11